The Sprue and You - New Slaanesh Models

pretre

Posted 01/10/2018

The Sprue and You

GWshasj-Oct1-Share.jpg

Have you ever stopped and looked at a used sprue?

No – because that would be crazy.

And yet, the humble sprue is the foundation up which the Warhammer hobby is built!

But what happens to this ubiquitous plastic component when its purpose is complete?

We delved into the hidden archives in the bowels of Games Workshop’s archivium and found this informative orientation video to provide the answers you seek…

Share this:

•  
  •  
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"Working tirelessly around the clock, the Leak Department ensures that fans on the World Wide Web have a steady supply of grainy, out-of-focus shots of models, often models that haven't even been built yet!" Holds up the very same leaked sprue

Along with the Renegade Knights video and "Reset the Clock," this is probably one of my favorite PR videos they've released so far.

5 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

It is only half breasted.

Yes, but on a high note, there are nipples.  

They were scared of those for awhile.  Because bare breasts are not ok.

But a group that would wipe out your continent because your moms brothers uncles roommates dog may, or may not, have herd somebody talking about said breasts is totally ok.

People are funny sometimes.  🙂

6 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

It is only half breasted.

But they didn't half-ass it.

34 minutes ago, Psilence said:

Yes, but on a high note, there are nipples.  

They were scared of those for awhile.  Because bare breasts are not ok.

But a group that would wipe out your continent because your moms brothers uncles roommates dog may, or may not, have herd somebody talking about said breasts is totally ok.

People are funny sometimes.  🙂

The difference in our society's attitudes towards sex and violence never fails to boggle my mind. Torture or genocide is PG-13, but a single bare breast is R. Slaanesh and Drukhari stuff really brings it out. They'll go on about the violence and drugs 'til the cows come home, but maybe a veiled reference to sex, if even that.

5 hours ago, Ish said:

If they’re funny and/or clever, then sometimes yes I do.

These aren't funny or clever, they're just ripping off other things in a very "benchmarking" sort of way. Very low effort productions aimed at reminding people of OTHER things that are actually funny or clever. 

I'd love to see GW make something cool, like that trailer for DoW1 with the blood ravens facing the orks. That was awesome. This is just a waste.

Subjectivity is subjective.

I’m not saying these things are great comic masterworks, but they’re worth a rye chuckle or two and I find them to be a much more innovative way to tease new products than just a few boring photographs in a magazine.

These things also probably only involve 3-5 people who are already on staff, a cheap digital camcorder, and a couple hours work in Adobe After Effects or similar. The Dawn of War introductory cutscenes involve dozens of programmers, equipment and training not within GW’s regular business operations therefore necessiting an outside contractor, require months of work... Yeah, much more cost effect to record a couple blokes around the office hamming it up.

Remember as well, most of these ads aren’t focused on bringing in new gamers. They’re community outreach meant to create goodwill in existing customers. To see these skits, you need to already be reading Warhammer Community or regularly watching their YouTube channel, they’re not going to air them on NBC. 

GW has long had a reputation as tight-lipped, stern, and kind of passive-aggressively hostile towards the fan community on the internet. For the last four or five years, on the other hand, GW has really stepped up their online outreach efforts and these silly little skits are a small (but IMHO kinda charming) part of it.

• Like 4