Orktober

pretre

40kOrkLare-Sep1-Header1xl.jpg

To celebrate the return of everyone’s favourite green-skinned warmongering, barbaric xenos this Orktober, we’ve got an entire month’s worth of exciting content for you to help get you in the mood for Waaagh!

We’ve already seen some of the Speedwaaagh!’s outriders in the form of the Deffkilla Wartrike, Boomdakka Snazzwagon, Shokkjump Dragsta and Kustom Boosta-Blasta – and we’re not done yet…

Arriving first this month is the awesome new game all about kunnin’, speedin’ and shootin’. If you like the idea of a demolition derby disguised as a race that channels all things Orky, this is the game for you! Show off your drivin’ and driftin’ skills, gun down your rivals with weapons as varied as shokk rifles and rivet cannons, krump them in high-speed boarding actions and ram them into scrap piles! If you like high-octane, violent fun, then Speed Freeks is the game you’ve been waiting for, even if you’re not already a dedicated Ork fan.

40kOrktober-Oct2-SpeedFreeks2p.jpg

Two new vehicles come in the box, but there are more on the way close behind that can also be used in this game!

40kOrktober-Oct2-Wartrike23ff.jpg 40kOrktober-Oct2-Boosta-Blasta22hd.jpg 40kOrktober-Oct2-Snazzwagon20th.jpg 40kOrktober-Oct2-Dragsta21he.jpg

Next up is Codex: Orks itself. The book features bespoke rules for the six major Ork clans, dozens of powerful and thematic Stratagems to use in battle, a selection of wazzy psychic powers and updated datasheets – including all the new wagons that feature in Speed Freeks.

40kOrktober-Oct2-CodexOrks1rv.jpg

We’ll also be providing regular Ork-themed articles throughout the month as well as plenty of looted posts on our Warhammer 40,000 and Warhammer TV Facebook pages, so keep your eyes out for loads of information about greenskin lore, rules previews for Speed Freeks and the codex, Ork painting guides and much more besides.

40kOrktober-Oct2-Armyshot4xj.jpg

Over on Instagram, we’ll also be on the lookout for your kustom paint jobs. Whether you’re just starting an Ork collection in celebration of Orktober, or are already a greenskin veteran, we’d love to see your work. Just add #Orktober to the image and we’ll showcase our favourites over the course of the month.

40kOrktober-Oct2-ShokkjumpTerrain3ch.jpg

If you’re looking to kick-start (or reinforce) your Waaagh!, check out the Start Collecting! Orks set. Alternatively, a Warbiker Mob will help get you all set for Speed Freeks and help bulk out the miniatures in the box. Once you’re done painting, we’d love to see them, so be sure to share them with us.

Orktober is going to be awesome, so don’t forget to check back each day to see what news and articles we have for you.

40kOrktober-Oct2-Orktober5zj.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Attenshun Boyz!

We’z taken control of da ’umies’ secret weppun – “The Regimental Standard”.

Da Mekz ’av been analysin’ it dead carefully. ’Ere’s what we’ve found out:

– It’z a magic paper with glyphs wot make da ‘umies fight harder.

– You can krump somewun wiv it, but it takes yonks and makes da glyphs ’ard to read ’cos of da blood.

– Dat’z it.

Me – Blood Axe Stormboy Orgruk Badfragg – ’az worked out da secretz of da Regimental Standard, and ‘av looted it.*

regstd-oct3-orkart.jpg

Introducin’:

regstd-oct3-logo20rv.jpg

Ev’ry week,** I’z gonna bring you know-wots from da world of da ’umies, startin’ wiv da basics.

I know you ladz wanna run in all da time but da ’umies ’av invented somethin’ called “Taktiks”.*** We got der speshul book and I’ve used my know-wots to turn it Orky so even da squigbrains can understand.

The Codex Waaagh!-startes

regstd-oct3-paper1rn.jpg

Be choppy ‘coz your boyz iz da best.

regstd-oct3-paper2g.jpg

Be kunnin’, den be choppy.

regstd-oct3-paper3m.jpg

Get yer mates to yell at da enemy so da Lootas can blast ’em.

regstd-oct3-paper4n.jpg

Dunno.

regstd-oct3-paper5g.jpg

Fink this one iz wrong. ’Old on.regstd-oct3-paper6x.jpg

Better.

Wiv dis knowledge, da Orks will be unstoppable!

Come back next week, when I’ll show ya how Dakka workz.

++ORK FOR THE DAY: Bogreb, ’cos he made dat ’umie wiv da big hat swallow a stikkbomb then fed ’im to a squig. Rest in pieces, Bouncy – you woz a good squig. And delishus.++

* Well, ’e’z yellin’ at a grot to write it, but don’t tell ’im I told ya’ dat – Snivlit

** Until I get bored of it, anywayz.

*** Lots of it iz “fix bayonets”. ‘Umies are a lot betta than I thought.

**** Space Marine iz what da ’umies call der Nobz. Dey’z a lot more fun than normal ’umies but hurt yer teef if you don’t peel ’em before eatin’ ’em.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

You guys already sick of Orks? I mean, all Orktober we've just been buried in em. They really undersold just the sheer volume of Orky goodness we'd get. I mean preorders for radically overpriced game boxes full of bikers that everybody wants?!? The promise we'll get to preorder a codex sometime this month as well?!? The literal tens of paragraphs of fluff?!?

I'm just Ork'd out...

Please GeeDub make it stop, think of all those monopose Primaris characters not being released. Bravely holding a sword over their heads and striding to the right...just sitting in a warehouse not being released.

It's a tragedy.

+Disengages sarcasm mode+

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

PreOrderPreview-Oct21-Header-9lw.jpg

This is the one you’ve been waiting for.

Next week, Codex: Orks lands on pre-order and gives greenskin players the book they’ve been dreaming about since… well, FOREVER.

Codex: Orks transforms your favourite army into a flexible, fast and brutal force that truly represents the weird and wonderful ways in which the Orks go to war. All the great stuff you know and love from this edition’s codexes so far – Stratagems, Warlord Traits, a Psychic discipline, and so on – is all here, plus all sorts of special Orky touches. Take Clan Kulturs – powerful faction-specific rules that allow you to represent the unique tactics (such as Orks have them) used by each of the great clans. Or just the army-wide special rules – as previewed previously, Orks now ALWAYS hit on a 6 – and they get to make another shot while they’re at it:

PreOrderPreview-Oct21-DakkaDakkaDakka-1df.jpg

You’ll be able to grab Codex: Orks in print, digital and strictly limited collector’s edition on release – alongside a host of new models…

PreOrderPreview-Oct21-CodexOrks-4mb.jpg PreOrderPreview-Oct21-CodexDog-3kb.jpg PreOrderPreview-Oct21-LECodex-2kv.jpg

That’s right – Codex: Orks is launching alongside no fewer than FOUR new Ork Vehicles! Each of these is a radical reimagining of the classic Ork Warbuggy, representing different facets of Ork “Kultur” and giving you all manner of new tactical options when building your army. Need some fast-moving anti-armour capabilities? Grab yourself a Megatrakk Scrapjet! What about some extra dakka? Look no further than the Boomdakka Snazzwagon! Can’t choose? Bombard your enemies with a variety of exploding squigs fired from the Rukkatrukk Squigbuggy.

OrkNewVehicle-Oct11-MegatrakkScrapjet-5mj.jpg OrkNewVehicle-Oct11-BoomdakkaSnazwagon-4ly.jpg OrkNewVehicle-Oct11-Squigbuggy-6iv.jpg

In fact, thanks to the Deffkilla Wartrike, you can field an army consisting of ONLY Ork vehicles – a convoy of destruction led by a mighty (and mobile) Speedboss.

OrkNewVehicle-Oct11-DeffkillaWartrike-2ph.jpg

Every mechanised Ork army will want a Mekboy Workshop. This new terrain piece allows Orks to enhance the abilities of their Meks and keep anything from Trukks to Deff Dreads in fighting shape:

PreOrderPreview-Oct21-MekWorkshop1-5tf.jpg

If you’re looking to match your dice to your Ork army, you’re in luck, thanks to a fancy new set designed to fit the ramshackle aesthetic of the greenskins:

PreOrderPreview-Oct21-OrkDice-6mb.jpg

To tide you over while you wait for the pre-order, we’ll be previewing the new codex in detail all next week, with an in-depth look at the new rules, buggies and Clan Kulturs, starting tomorrow!

Sly Marbo Returns

That’s not all! If you missed Sly Marbo the last time around, next week, he’ll be available to pre-order once more. The so-called One-man Army is an ideal addition to any Catachan collection and comes packaged with his datasheet, meaning plugging him into your Imperium army is simple.

40kNov23-Marbo1hde.jpg 40kOpenDay-Marbo1hfe.jpg

You’ll be able to pre-order Codex: Orks, the new models, and Sly Marbo on the 27th of October – let us know what you’re most excited about on the Warhammer 40,000 Facebook page! If you’re eager to get started right away, all the models in the Speed Freeks set have rules for Warhammer 40,000 – you can pre-order your copy right now.

• Like 1

This is a pretty full Orktober. Just to put this in perspective, so far we have:

- 6 Buggies

- Mek Workshop

- Codex and SE Codex

- Dice

- Speed Freeks Game (which includes extra terrain and a board I'm thinking may be KT sized)

And yet, the complaining on all the WH Comm posts is still pretty high.

(Looks back at my SW Codex release...)

People...

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, pretre said:

And yet, the complaining on all the WH Comm posts is still pretty high.

Games Workshop could put a £1,000 note inside every box they sell and the internet fanbase would complain about being charged $2.50 by their bank for the currency exchange. 

• Like 3

Oh yeah and something I noticed about SF. I thought it was a much worse value because I thought there was only one set of bikes. But there are two.

So $82.50 in bikes

Buggies are going to be $37.25 is my guess. ($74.50 in buggies)

Terrain and Game is basically free.

Not as bad as I thought.

• Like 1

My one complaint is that I would have rather seen a single Warbuggy/Wartrakk kit with multiple options, rather than half a dozen that each only do exactly one build.

Other than that, this all looks absolutely fantastic. I can't even find words to express how awesome that Mek's Workshop is. I need like 6 of those to loot for parts.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WestRider said:

My one complaint is that I would have rather seen a single Warbuggy/Wartrakk kit with multiple options, rather than half a dozen that each only do exactly one build.

Other than that, this all looks absolutely fantastic. I can't even find words to express how awesome that Mek's Workshop is. I need like 6 of those to loot for parts.

The great thing about the buggies, if you've seen the sprues, is that these are going to be a kitbasher's dream. 6 kits worth of different bits is going to be amazing.

The game looks to just be a 32 mm scale Gaslands clone, with Space Orks. Which is all well and good, but I’m just going to keep playing a Gaslands.

Anyone interested in starting or expanding an Ork army should definitely pick up one or two of these boxes.

20 minutes ago, pretre said:

The great thing about the buggies, if you've seen the sprues, is that these are going to be a kitbasher's dream. 6 kits worth of different bits is going to be amazing.

This is true. It didn't look like there were much of any extras on any of the sprues from what I could see, tho, which is probably going to mean shelling out for at least one extra kit just to be used as parts.

• Like 1

$150 for the speedfreaks box set is not a great deal, or GW is planning on really raping people for the buggies. I think the buggies are going to come out at least around $45 once sold separately. The trukk is already an older kit and doesn't really reflect GW's current pricing. I think if you look at the Big Gunz, you'll be closer. Even at that price point, it isn't a great deal. If you absolutely must have those vehicles, you might be able to sell the bikes and rules to make it reasonable.

I have to say, I think GW really blew it for "orktober". Already the 22nd and still no codex, and a box game that is only out on pre-order. So three weeks of hype for basically the same info we got before october. It is like they assumed every ork player was going to buy the speedfreak box set and thought that was enough for an ork release. Hell, at least they could have had the 500th store opening model be an ork. But nope, missed on that one too. 😞

Just don't get GW sometimes.

15 minutes ago, Brother Glacius said:

I have to say, I think GW really blew it for "orktober".😞

I love you, Bro G, but this is just weird. The orks are getting basically 8 new kits (3 in Speed Freeks), a codex and a board game. Short of Primaris (the new army in this edition, basically), what other faction got that much in this go round of codexes? Maybe Knights with their two little knight kits, two big knight kits and the special character. Heck, most of the primaris stuff came out last edition.

I think the phrase Orktober was a mistake just because everyone interpreted it in its own way and now you can't help but be disappointed because reality rarely lives up to imagination.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, pretre said:

I love you, Bro G, but this is just weird. The orks are getting basically 8 new kits (3 in Speed Freeks), a codex and a board game. Short of Primaris (the new army in this edition, basically), what other faction got that much in this go round of codexes? Maybe Knights with their two little knight kits, two big knight kits and the special character. Heck, most of the primaris stuff came out last edition.

I think the phrase Orktober was a mistake just because everyone interpreted it in its own way and now you can't help but be disappointed because reality rarely lives up to imagination.

I set up the context of the statement right at the start. Here we are, 22 days into October, and does anyone have any new Ork material in hand? No. Come Saturday the 27th of October, what will they have in hand? One new box game with two new kits. That is it. That is "Orktober". GW hyped it, but failed to deliver. The codex and anything else that is released, won't be until November. So yes, in my opinion, "Orktober" fell flat. If they hadn't named it...and just went on with the normal release, then there would be no complaint. But they didn't. They presented a lot of hype with little substance. And I take responsibility for my part in it. When I heard "Orktober" I assumed I'd actually be getting ork stuff in October. I expected to have that codex in hand already, and maybe some new kits. So shame on me for those assumptions. But were my assumptions unreasonable? 

I remember seeing people in the Faeit 212 comments sections or on Reddit chattering about “Orktober” way back in late Spring... I don’t think GW chose the name, merely adopted the meme. I don’t ever recall any big releases ever happening in October. Traditionally, it’s always been to have the Q4 releases hit in November, to capture the Christmas shopping market.

• Like 1