Orktober

pretre

Let’s be realistic here, pretty much every other vehicle in the game sells for about the same price as these new Speed Freaks kits. $30 is the going rate for very small vehicles (e.g., Vyper) and $60 for the really big’uns (e.g., Land Raider). But anything in between those sizes tends to be about $40-50. 

Here’s a whole slew of comparisons: Bloodthrone $40; Chimera $38; Devilfish $38; Ghost Ark $50; Hellhound $50; Goliath Truck $60; Land Raider $75; Land Speeder $30; Land Speeder Storm $30; Raider $37; Razorback $41; Rhino $37; Repulsor $80; Starweaver $41; Taurox $48; Taurox Prime $48; [Current] Trukk $38; Tyrannocite $65; Venom $30; Vyper $30; and Wave Serpent $45

Now, I haven’t handled these kits in the real world, so I don’t have first-hand knowledge of them. But assuming the quality is on par with other GW kits (and I have no reason to believe they’re not) then it seems reasonable to me that the price is on par with them too.

If you want 32mm scale tanks that cost less than $20, then you need to start playing Bolt Action... 

• Like 2

Posted 25/10/2018

Clan Fokus: Evil Sunz

40kOrkClanEvilSunz-Oct25-Header2jv.jpg

Welcome to Clan Fokus – a new series on Warhammer Community where we’ll be taking a closer look at all the new Clan Kulturs in the new Codex: Orks. These powerful special rules let you tailor your play-style and offer huge benefits to nearly every unit in your army. We’ll be previewing a new Clan Kultur every day this week – today, focusing on the Evil Sunz…

40kOrkClanEvilSunz-Oct25-EvilSunzBattles

Orks aren’t just obsessed with violence – many also find the very act of going fast a rapturous experience, and none more so than Speed Freeks. Indeed, such Orks will seek to combine their two favourite pastimes of racing at high speed and mindless carnage, forming a great Speedwaaagh! of smoke-belching racing vehicles with which to roar into battle, full throttle. Foremost among these speed-worshipping Orks are the Evil Sunz – firm believers in the old Ork adage that “red ones go fasta” to the extent that they paint all of their vehicles (and sometimes even their ammunition) red!

Evil Sunz Orks are almost universally members of a Kult of Speed – vast gatherings of Speed Freeks who drive, ride or fly into battle. Even the footsloggers of a Kult of Speed will cram their way aboard transport vehicles so that they can embrace the thrill of the wind in their hair squigs as they race to war. The obsession that the Evil Sunz have for speed is at the heart of their Clan Kultur…

40kOrkKultuGoffs-Oct22-Subheader1g.jpg

40kOrkClanEvilSunz-Oct25-Kultur20vrheg.j

Yep – for the Evil Sunz, the red ones really do go faster! By choosing Evil Sunz for your Clan Kultur, you’ll get an army-wide speed boost (even for your Infantry units!), with a particular turn of speed for your Speed Freeks units – that’s Warbikers, Deffkoptas and buggies such as the Kustom Boosta-blasta and Megatrakk Scrapjet. You’ll also be able to shoot Assault weapons without penalty when you Advance, letting you maintain a semblance of accuracy as you close in on your enemy.

Top Units

40kOrkClanEvilSunz-Oct25-Subheader21m.jp

40kOrkClanEvilSunz-Oct25-MekWorkshop7fy.

Chances are, if you’re playing Evil Sunz, you’ll have a LOT of vehicles, so a Mekboy Workshop goes a long, long way. This new terrain piece is available to pre-order this weekend and, for a mere handful of points, helps enhance the abilities of the rest of your army considerably. Every turn, each Mek Workshop can give a nearby Ork vehicle a Kustom Job – a powerful enhancement to the ability of said vehicle. As you’d expect, you can repair stuff, but you can also amp up the dakka:

40kOrkClanEvilSunz-Oct25-MoreDakka5xj.jp

Just imagine combining this with a Stompa for a guaranteed 18 shots with the Deffkannon – and a chance at improving its Damage in the process! The only downside is that a model can’t shoot in the turn it receives a Kustom Job – but even so, you’ll find them absolutely invaluable in a mechanised army.

40kOrkClanEvilSunz-Oct25-Subheader41yc.j

40kOrkClanEvilSunz-Oct25-EvilSunzSpeedfr

Warbikers, Deffkoptas and the new buggies are all Speed Freeks – a new Ork keyword that applies to the fastest-moving ground (or near-to-ground) units, and which offers a range of powerful new synergies. Consider, for example, the Speedwaagh! ability of the Deffkilla Wartrike when combined with a bonus 2″ Move on all of your Evil Sunz Speed Freek units and their potential to re-roll charge rolls:

40kOrkClanEvilSunz-Oct25-Speedwaaagh42uc

A handy Stratagem for your Speed Freeks is Billowing Exhaust Clouds, which makes your chosen unit that little bit harder to hit:

40kOrkClanEvilSunz-Oct25-BillowingExhaus

For a mechanised Ork army that’s fast, furious and unstoppable on the move – or for as good an excuse as any to paint everything red – choose Evil Sunz for your Clan Kultur. And if you like the threat posed by a potential mass charge in the first battle round, an Outrider Detachment of Evil Sunz is the perfect answer. We’ve got more previews coming, and soon – check back tomorrow for our preview of the avaricious Deathskulls.

1 hour ago, Ish said:

I like the looks of the Mekboy Workshop as a terrain piece, but I’m not sure I see much utility in its rules. It’s an immobile structure that buffs rapidly advancing vehicles? Umm... How’s that work?

It's useless right now since the benefit is mechanically worse than just taking two turns of shooting.

26 minutes ago, pretre said:

It's useless right now since the benefit is mechanically worse than just taking two turns of shooting.

Sometimes you need to take a layer of randomness out of the equation to get the results you want. A (probably) smaller number of shots over the course of the game might well be a worthwhile trade for max shots on the one Turn you really need them. If you luck into the damage buff, that lasts for the whole game, too.

On 10/22/2018 at 7:17 AM, pretre said:

I love you, Bro G, but this is just weird. The orks are getting basically 8 new kits (3 in Speed Freeks), a codex and a board game. Short of Primaris (the new army in this edition, basically), what other faction got that much in this go round of codexes? Maybe Knights with their two little knight kits, two big knight kits and the special character. Heck, most of the primaris stuff came out last edition.

I think the phrase Orktober was a mistake just because everyone interpreted it in its own way and now you can't help but be disappointed because reality rarely lives up to imagination.

Death guard

1 hour ago, pretre said:

In theory, if you deploy it next to something really shooty that won’t be in range Turn One, but would be in Turn Two, like whatever the Gatling gun equipped stompy robot is called... Maybe it’s useful? Maybe?

Franky, I don’t see why they couldn’t just sell this as neat looking terrain. It’s neat looking, that should be enough.

• Like 2

In my opinion, GW totally blew it for Orktober. The hype machine was rolling full steam into the month. I, who has always sworn I’d never play Orks was excited, enticed by possibilities of awesomeness, new rules, wacky and gorgeous new models. 

They had the community primed to pick up a new army. If they had done it right, so many folks would have jumped on it. I think most if not all 40k players have a special place in their hearts for Orks. We all want to love em, we think they are hilarious and wacky and kinda lovable. That said most people don’t touch em... Cause, other than en mass, they kinda suck. I’m not calling them bad- but it’s a brutal army to commit to knowing you’re gonna be struggling to win most of the time. 

And GW dragged their feet. Put out another friggan boxed game before the codex... and well, yeah, they blew it. I’m not gonna buy that silly boxed game. I don’t play Orks, so why would I? Cause it’s a value? What value is their in it if you aren’t an Ork player and you already have a shelf full of often unplayed board games.

GW blew it. 

• Like 1

The decision by GW to split Age of Sigmar’s Orcs into three sub-factions: two of which are traditional hordes, and one of which is an elite heavy infantry and heavy cavalry army was a stroke of genius. Ironjawz gives people (like yours truly), who have always had a fondness for Orcs but couldn’t to commit to collecting hundreds of them, a chance to “buy in” and get playing... and probably start expanding into the other Orc armies in the not too distant future.

Creating an Ironjawz-equivalent low(er) model count army for the Space Orks seems like a no-brainer. Have a kulture of Orks that encourages the use of Nobz, Meganobz, ‘Ardboyz, and other big guys. Maybe tie it into the Indomitus Crusade metaplot? The fanbase has been making jokes about “Primorks” for years now... 

Orks and Orcs are definitely beloved by the fanbase. They’re probably also almost as well known as Space Marines to non-players. An Ork army with a lower “buy in” barrier really seems like an open gap in the product line.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ish said:

The decision by GW to split Age of Sigmar’s Orcs into three sub-factions: two of which are traditional hordes, and one of which is an elite heavy infantry and heavy cavalry army was a stroke of genius. Ironjawz gives people (like yours truly), who have always had a fondness for Orcs but couldn’t to commit to collecting hundreds of them, a chance to “buy in” and get playing... and probably start expanding into the other Orc armies in the not too distant future.

Creating an Ironjawz-equivalent low(er) model count army for the Space Orks seems like a no-brainer. Have a kulture of Orks that encourages the use of Nobz, Meganobz, ‘Ardboyz, and other big guys. Maybe tie it into the Indomitus Crusade metaplot? The fanbase has been making jokes about “Primorks” for years now... 

Orks and Orcs are definitely beloved by the fanbase. They’re probably also almost as well known as Space Marines to non-players. An Ork army with a lower “buy in” barrier really seems like an open gap in the product line.

In different ways, both Goffs and Bad Moonz could be candidates for that approach. Unfortunately, we've already seen the previews for them, and they didn't go there.

Also, Primorks actually appeared in The Beast Arises series, so who knows, they may show up in the game at some point.

We still have a few Kultures left... that said snake bites in my mind would have been perfect to really benefit the elite ork but they didn't. Bad moons got the shooty that in my mind would have worked well for death skulls. As over equipped elite orks could have been the bad moon thing too... goffs are right, evil suns are right, snake bites are workable probably the lowest value kulture. 

Super intrigued for the next two and sad that freeboota won't be a thing. 

4 minutes ago, WestRider said:

In different ways, both Goffs and Bad Moonz could be candidates for that approach. Unfortunately, we've already seen the previews for them, and they didn't go there.

Also, Primorks actually appeared in The Beast Arises series, so who knows, they may show up in the game at some point.

Goffs have always been the hoard. Ork growth is tied to their place in a pecking order/ ego... takes a lot of orks to support the kind of growth you see in some goffs. 

Bad moons you are right I think gw missed with them and their kulture would have fit death skulls better. 

Blood Axes would have been my choice for a clan that emphasized elite troops. They’ve always been even more prone to imitation of ‘ummie culture than the other clans, so adding some sort of “Ork Battle Kompanie” modeling itself on the Space Marines would fit right in with their long established pattern of imitating Imperial Guard Regiments.

Or they could have just introduced a new clan or kult, in addition to the ones that have been around since Rogue Trader.

2 hours ago, VonVilkee said:

Goffs have always been the hoard. Ork growth is tied to their place in a pecking order/ ego... takes a lot of orks to support the kind of growth you see in some goffs. 

Bad moons you are right I think gw missed with them and their kulture would have fit death skulls better. 

Goffs have also sometimes done the Skarboyz+Nobz thing, which would be pretty close to Ironjawz in a lot of ways. Ork growth is also tied to how much they fight. Even without a huge population base, the members of a Waaagh that's sufficiently active can get huge.

1 hour ago, WestRider said:

Goffs have also sometimes done the Skarboyz+Nobz thing, which would be pretty close to Ironjawz in a lot of ways. Ork growth is also tied to how much they fight. Even without a huge population base, the members of a Waaagh that's sufficiently active can get huge.

True enough and skarboyz have a stratagem which is perfect! The Goff kulture would make the elites better while also supporting better just krumpin boyz. I think they really missed with the bad moons as an opportunity to make elite heavy work, maybe a trust in their gear over each other for better morale. 

I still feel like the bad moon kulture would have suited the death skulls better... I'm having a hard time waiting to see the rest of the kultures!

Codex Preview: Deffskulls just went up his morning. They seem to have a pretty solid Kultur trait, nothing tremendously game-changing in the overall style of how an Ork army plays... They basically just get better at doing what Orks do. 

Objective Secured for all Infantry is nice and combined with the re-rolls and Invulnerable save might really encourage the use of backfield Lootas.

40kOrkClanDeathskulls-Oct26-Kultur34nvrg

• Like 1

40kOrkClanDeathskulls-Oct26-Header2kc.jpg

Welcome to Clan Fokus – a new series on Warhammer Community where we’ll be taking a closer look at all the new Clan Kulturs in the new Codex: Orks. These powerful special rules let you tailor your play-style and offer huge benefits to nearly every unit in your army. We’ll be previewing a new Clan Kultur every day this week – looking today at the Deathskulls.

40kOrkClanDeathskulls-Oct26-DeathSkullsBattleshot3vr.jpg

You never really own a gun in the 41st Millennium – you merely look after it for a bit until an Ork takes it from your cooling corpse. No Ork clan demonstrates this shamelessly larcenous quality better than the Deathskulls – avaricious, superstitious Orks who’ll steal anything that isn’t nailed down… after which they’ll steal everything that is nailed down. Including the nails.

But how do they get away with it without getting clobbered first? ’Cos dey’z lucky gitz, of course! Orks hold to a number of simple but utterly unshakable beliefs, the two most prominent being that red ones go faster and blue ones are lucky. The Deathskulls exemplify the latter, daubing their armour, vehicles and clothing in blue to ensure their luck will be as outrageous as they can get away with. But how does this affect ‘da Boyz in Blue’? Let’s take a look…

40kOrkKultuGoffs-Oct22-Subheader1g.jpg

40kOrkClanDeathskulls-Oct26-Kultur34nvrg.jpg

Blue paint is actually lucky (well, for Orks, anyway). In fact, it’s so lucky that every Deathskulls unit gets a 6+ invulnerable save! From gaining a chance to save against those pesky lascannon shots on your Deff Dreads to adding a little bit more durability on your hordes of Boyz, what’s not to love? And you get a series of auspicious re-rolls whenever you’re shootin’ or krumpin’ stuff (all the better for lootin’ their gubbinz afterwards, of course). What’s more, having “Dis is Ours! Zogg Off!” – a rule that gives you priority when you score objectives – on no less than all of your Infantry units helps you keep a control of the battlefield. Lucky gitz indeed!

Top Units

40kOrkClanDeathskulls-Oct26-Subheader5jc.jpg

40kOrkClanDeathskulls-Oct26-Tankbustas10n.jpg

The Deathskulls know better than any that to steal something, sometimes you need to blow it up first. That’s where Tankbustas come in. Like before, they get re-rolls to hit against all Vehicles but combine them with the Wreckers Stratagem and they’ll be smashing their way through Land Raiders, Imperial Knights and any other particularly durable targets with relative ease.

40kOrkClanDeathskulls-Oct26-Wreckers6hv.jpg

Tankbustas get even deadlier when combined with the Extra Stikkbombs Stratagem. By allowing every model in the unit to throw a Grenade weapon, you’ll be able to douse the enemy in Tankbusta bombs – a deadly deluge that few could hope to survive!

40kOrkClanDeathskulls-Oct26-ExtraStikkbombs8ks.jpg

40kOrkClanDeathskulls-Oct26-Subheader4h.jpg

40kOrkClanDeathskulls-Oct26-Lootas9l.jpg

Lootas are a great choice in an Ork army, thanks to their excellent long-ranged firepower. Capable of blowing apart infantry and tanks alike, these ladz are a cracking choice in the new codex and benefit enormously from a brand-new Ork Stratagem that really lets them live up to their name – Loot It:

40kOrkClanDeathskulls-Oct26-LootIt7so.jpg

As this Stratagem can be activated even when one of your own vehicles is destroyed, it can be surprisingly easy to utilise. This Stratagem works for most Ork infantry, but is particularly useful with Lootas, who give you a chance to recover the Command Points you just spent on it!

Scrapping vehicles, mobbing objectives and shrugging off krak missiles with nothing more than a lick of blue paint – the Deathskulls really are something. If you’re looking for a cracking all-round Clan Kultur, then like the Deathskulls themselves, you’re in luck! You’ll be able to get your hands on the Clan Kulturs for yourself soon, as Codex: Orks is available to pre-order tomorrow!

But that doesn’t mean we’re done yet – we’ve also got another preview planned for tomorrow, where we’ll be looking at the sneaky Blood Axes, so check back soon…

The post Clan Fokus: Deathskulls appeared first on Warhammer Community.

• Like 1

Deathskull Meganobz... with 6++ and Objective Secured.

What was that Mob Up rule again? Smoosh two units of Deffskull MANz into one big mob and buff 'em from there...  like the Death Guard Terminator thing I've run up against. Good thing I have more than 30 MANz already.

Plus to ALWAYS be able to re-roll a Single to hit AND ALSO re-roll a to wound roll AND ALSO re-roll a variable Damage roll (Shooting: Kombi-Rokkit and Close Combat: Killsaws ... I'm looking in your direction).

Easy to field too, just slap some blue paint that says 'Mine Now!' on previously-other-Klanz Mega Armor.

• Like 1