Orktober

pretre

Maybe I missed it, but so far, haven't seen addressed the one thing Orks really need addressed: Solutions to a -2 to hit modifier.

And it doesn't need to be fixed, but even if they don't fix it they should address it to make it clear that it not being resolved is an intended flaw in the army. 

Posted 27/10/2018

Clan Fokus: Blood Axes

40kOrkClanBloodAxes-Oct27-Header1hc.jpg

Welcome to Clan Fokus – a new series on Warhammer Community where we’ll be taking a closer look at all the new Clan Kulturs in the new Codex: Orks. These powerful special rules let you tailor your play-style and offer huge benefits to nearly every unit in your army. We’ll be previewing a new Clan Kultur every day this week – continuing today with the Blood Axes.

40kOrkClanBloodAxes-Oct27-BloodAxeBattle

Careful planning. Patient observation. An innate grasp of tactics, strategy and the finer arts of warfare. If they were anything other than Orks, these traits would mark the Blood Axes as natural leaders for their race – instead, their blatant disdain for the traditional art of running at your enemy and yellin’ has turned them into outsiders.

Blood Axes are kunnin’ Orks who welcome strategic experimentation and are altogether more sensible than other greenskins. They’re happy to quietly sneak up on their foes, lay ambushes or even wear camouflage. That’s right – camouflage!

Some Blood Axes will even work as mercenaries for particularly desperate and heretical Imperial commanders (though this is usually as a pretence to grab some humie guns, then promptly turn them on said ’umies). But how does the Blood Axes clan’s somewhat un-Orky grasp of tactics play out?

40kOrkKultuGoffs-Oct22-Subheader1g.jpg

40kOrkClanBloodAxes-Oct27-Kultur6greh.jp

The Blood Axes have a fantastic Clan Kultur that means that, as long as you’re far enough away from the enemy, you’re effectively in cover, offering anything from your Boyz to your vehicles a much-welcome boost to their saving throws. Should you want to get up-close and chop up your opponents, you’ll be able to slip in and out of combat at will to shoot or charge again.

Top Units

40kOrkClanBloodAxes-Oct27-Subheader4z.jp

40kOrkClanBloodAxes-Oct27-Kommandos9i.jp

Not only is Boss Snikrot an absolute beast in combat, with a Warboss-level profile and the ability to make nearby units of Kommandos even more fighty (representing his infamous Red Skullz), but the new ability they share, Throat Slitta(s), is brutal – especially when considering that all Orks are now at least Strength 4.

40kOrkClanBloodAxes-Oct27-ThroatSlittas6

Another point to consider is their shared Kunnin’ Infiltrator(s) ability. While this allows them to set up in hiding to help get the jump on the enemy, they need not do so alone thanks to this handy Blood Axes Stratagem:

40kOrkClanBloodAxes-Oct27-DeadSneaky7xk.

That’s a lot of potentially big or powerful units that can emerge from hiding to really bring the pain to your opponent – Nobz or Meganobz, we’re looking at you! And, of course, you’ll get to re-roll the ensuing charge dice thanks to their ’Ere We Go ability. Kunnin’ but brutal, right there.

40kOrkClanBloodAxes-Oct27-Subheader5zk.j

40kOrkClanBloodAxes-Oct27-Stormboyz10hx.

Stormboyz are simply brilliant in a Blood Axes army. Already a staple of some of the most successful matched play Orks lists, these rocket-pack wearing boyz are about to get a lot better thanks to a new ability that lets them drop in like other jump-pack users.

40kOrkClanBloodAxes-Oct27-StormboyzStrik

With the Blood Axes, you’ll want to drop in, charge, then retreat and charge again at the first opportunity. While you’ll be risking enemy Overwatch again, it’s usually worth the risk for the ability to fight first in combat. Just make sure the enemy unit isn’t armed with flamers of any kind before you do so – Blood Axes are far too kunnin’ to fall for that!

You can pre-order all these sneaky new rules in Codex: Orks right now, alongside a host of new buggies – get yours online today. And whilst you’re at it, why not grab Boss Snikrot and some of his (Red Skull) Kommandos? After all, you don’t want to upset him. He could be standing right behind you…

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

Maybe I missed it, but so far, haven't seen addressed the one thing Orks really need addressed: Solutions to a -2 to hit modifier.

And it doesn't need to be fixed, but even if they don't fix it they should address it to make it clear that it not being resolved is an intended flaw in the army. 

Orks have an army wide hit on sixes I believe. I read that in what looked like an official little box I think on the warhammer community. Not hunting for it now...

Blood Axes !!!!  Omg this is so amazing as a kulture, fall back and do stuff is phenomenal! They have always been my favorite now they actually do things other orks do not. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, WestRider said:

Nice! I was expecting either the 6++ or Salamanders-style re-rolls. Instead, they got the 6++, better re-rolls, AND Army-wide ObSec! Plus what look to be a pretty sweet Stratagem.

Yeah death skulls really won the kulture war for elites... all these things make elite orks better. And even help a big boyz unit make sure that one power claw hits hard... reroll damage too! Just wow. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, paxmiles said:

They did fix that. Not only do they always hit on natural 6s, but they get double hits on natural 6s, so they're actually still as effective as a regular BS5+ Unit regardless of how many negative modifiers are piled on! It was in one of the early previews, before they started doing the individual Klan articles.

6 hours ago, VonVilkee said:

Blood Axes !!!!  Omg this is so amazing as a kulture, fall back and do stuff is phenomenal! They have always been my favorite now they actually do things other orks do not. 

They and the Deffskullz have always been my faves, and I'm super happy with how both of them came out here. Honestly, I think this might be one of the best jobs GW has done balancing sub-Factions. While I'm sure there's some variation, none of them jump out as an auto-take or complete garbage, and every Dex I can think of has at least one of those two.

2 hours ago, WestRider said:

They and the Deffskullz have always been my faves, and I'm super happy with how both of them came out here. Honestly, I think this might be one of the best jobs GW has done balancing sub-Factions. While I'm sure there's some variation, none of them jump out as an auto-take or complete garbage, and every Dex I can think of has at least one of those two.

I dunno about that snake bites seem pretty bad as invulnerable saves are not common and their feel no pain does not stack with other sources... vehicles getting it is cute but the others feel way better with less exceptions. 

Their stratagem tho might make it worthwhile but I still rate the snake bites low. 

1 hour ago, VonVilkee said:

I dunno about that snake bites seem pretty bad as invulnerable saves are not common and their feel no pain does not stack with other sources... vehicles getting it is cute but the others feel way better with less exceptions. 

Their stratagem tho might make it worthwhile but I still rate the snake bites low. 

It saves points and dependency on Auras (amusingly, it does stack with the KFF, which is one of the least Snakebite things I can think of), and their Stratagem is amazing given how many Armies rely on one big linchpin Unit these days. It is probably the weakest, but it's not down there with Ryza or Mordia or Word Bearers or Farsight Enclaves.

I also just realized that I don't think we've seen any Warlord Traits or Relics yet. I wonder what cool stuff there will be there.

• Like 1

Da Old Ways mean every single Boy has a 17% chance to ignore anything that would have killed him, that's not a lot on its own... But when you're looking at three or four mobs of thirty-strong Slugga Boyz running at your lines, it's going to get really annoying really quick. I'm thinking the Snakebites aren't going to be the most popular of choices, but I think they'll be a good choice for anyone who really wants to commit to a green-tide horde. 

t's just too bad Space Orks don't have Boar Boyz anymore, since that was by far the most Snakebite-y unit in the army. 

• Like 2

That 6 up invuln is a tricky beast. It's one of my favorite things about Sisters. It really only seems to kick in when you truly need it. It's like the dice know how to get hot when it's thematic. A squad chilling on an objective that would have been mowed down ends up with one bloodied survivor, heroically holding the line. One Repentia that battled through wounds that would kill any normal human, only to hold on long enough to deliver a final blow etc...

Game-wise, not that great. Story-wise, fantastic.

• Like 1

40kOrkClanFreebooterz-Oct28-Header2tt.jpg

Welcome to Clan Fokus – a new series on Warhammer Community where we’ll be taking a closer look at all the new Clan Kulturs in the new Codex: Orks. These powerful special rules let you tailor your play-style and offer huge benefits to nearly every unit in your army. We’ll be previewing a new Clan Kultur every day this week – finishing today with the Freebooterz…

40kOrkClanFreebooterz-Oct28-FreebooterzBattleshot10y.jpg

Amongst the Orks, there are those who wander without clan or tribe, forging their own path between the stars. Some are the survivors of calamitous disasters that killed their mates, while others are eccentrics exiled by choice or by force from their peers. Gathering in roving hordes known as Freebooterz, these Orks turn mercenary, terrorising space, hiring themselves out to other Ork warbands and dressing even more outlandishly than ‘ordinary’ Orks.

40kOrkKultuGoffs-Oct22-Subheader1g.jpg

40kOrkClanFreebooterz-Oct28-Kultur1hvrh.jpg

Ork shooting has benefitted greatly in the new codex thanks to the extra shots generated by their Dakka! Dakka! Dakka! ability, but it can be especially effective in the hands of the Freebooterz. With this Clan Kultur, you’ll be able to get your units firing with something approaching accuracy after you’ve wiped out a nearby unit – a much easier task with units like Flash Gitz on your side! Speaking of whom…

Top Units

40kOrkClanFreebooterz-Oct28-Subheader3r.jpg

40kOrkClanFreebooterz-Oct28-FlashGitz9r.jpg

Flash Gitz occupy a special place in the new Orks codex. If you’re fielding one of the other clans, you’ll be able to include them in a Detachment without losing your Clan Kultur (though the Flash Gitz themselves won’t benefit from the Clan Kultur). However, choose Freebooterz, and you’ll get to apply your Clan Kultur to them as normal, representing their effectiveness when fighting with their fellow Ork pirates.

Flash Gitz have been given a huge power increase in the new codex thanks to a better armour save and even shootier snazzguns:

40kOrkClanFreebooterz-Oct28-Snazzgun7wg.jpg

These guys are the premier dakka-delivery system for Orks and a unit or two are a must-have in any self-respecting Freebooterz army.

40kOrkClanFreebooterz-Oct28-Subheader4w.jpg

40kOrkClanFreebooterz-Oct28-Gunwagon8dc.jpg

The Gunwagon is a new datasheet designed to make the most of the Battlewagon kit. As any of you who’ve built one of these towering mobile fortresses can attest, the Battlewagon is unbelievably customisable – so much so that it’s been split into three separate unit entries, each with a different role. The original Battlewagon is still the great transport it always was, the Bonebreaka is a front-line spearhead vehicle, and the Gunwagon is the closest thing the Orks have to a battle tank, capable of firing twice with its Periscope ability:

40kOrkClanFreebooterz-Oct28-Periscope5gt.jpg

Try to pick off an enemy unit before firing the Gunwagon to take advantage of the Freebooterz Clan Kultur and you’ll be doubling up your shots with even greater accuracy. You can also use your Gunwagon (or other Battlewagon variants) to make deadly boarding actions with a new Stratagem – load yours up with power klaw-armed Nobz for the best results:

40kOrkClanFreebooterz-Oct28-BoardingAction6ol.jpg

Packs of piratical Orks using boarding planks to storm across and wreck enemy tanks as they pull up alongside them – is there anything Orkier? We think not! You won’t have to wait long until your Orks can go a-Freebootin’ – you can pre-order Codex: Orks today.

The post Clan Fokus: Freebooterz appeared first on Warhammer Community.

• Like 2

6+ invulnerable I like, 6+ feel no pain is not as good mostly slows the game way down as all the multi damage wounds have to be saved model by model... death skulls got so much, while snake bites didn't.

Snake bites are decidedly hard to kulture tho with the current codex style. GW doesn't want to limit choices just encourage thematic choices, that is so hard with an anti tech sub faction. How do you write a kulture based for the tech things but good for the older stuff when arguably most of the vehicles for orks could easily be squig powered instead of motorized...

1 minute ago, Brother Glacius said:

I thought the orks just always hit on 6's, and then they got an extra attack for each natural 6, but those did not explode themselves. It doesn't double hit, just gives them a few extra attacks.

Yeah it is a little exaggerated above... you have it right sir. But always hitting on natural sixes really messes with the math for negative to hits and ork shooting efficiency. Boggles the mind really.

1 hour ago, Brother Glacius said:

I thought the orks just always hit on 6's, and then they got an extra attack for each natural 6, but those did not explode themselves. It doesn't double hit, just gives them a few extra attacks.

Right, but far more important is that they always hit on 6s. The extra attack is just icing on the cake.

9 hours ago, VonVilkee said:

6+ invulnerable I like, 6+ feel no pain is not as good mostly slows the game way down as all the multi damage wounds have to be saved model by model... death skulls got so much, while snake bites didn't.

Snake bites are decidedly hard to kulture tho with the current codex style. GW doesn't want to limit choices just encourage thematic choices, that is so hard with an anti tech sub faction. How do you write a kulture based for the tech things but good for the older stuff when arguably most of the vehicles for orks could easily be squig powered instead of motorized...

Yeah, a lot of it you can do with Modeling. Squig-wagons instead of Trukks, Gore-gruntaz with guns strapped on instead of Warbikers, etc.

Stand fast, ya weedy gits! Thar' be a Clan Fokus: Freebooterz after all! Their kultur ability seems a little weak compared to Deathskulls and Blood Axes. You're going to need a fairly cooperative enemy army list that has a lot of MSU and/or Light Vehicles, so that you can frag something with your big gunz and then open up on his other units with the rest of your stuff.

40kOrkClanFreebooterz-Oct28-Kultur1hvrh.jpg

• Like 1