Orktober

pretre

7 hours ago, Lyraeus said:

Just curious. 

Other buggys are what? $45?

Ok, Warbikers are 41.25 

That's 172.50  efore getting terrain and rules which we are looking at about $20 for the terrain as it is also in the Mek Shop kit

Call it an even $200 kit for 150. I know I personally cheat since I will be getting it for for 90 but still, 150 is 22.50 off the cost of msrp models. 

Well, warbikers are a 5th ed kit. Terrain is just piles of random rubble, so despite giving you a "model" it's not really something you should have to buy. So I see it as $150 for two new vehicles, and a bunch of junk freebies. 

Now, compared to one of those HH Betrayal of Calnath box sets, also $150. You get 30 marines ($150 for 3 sets of 10), 5 Terminators ($60), a Contemptor Dread ($60), and two characters ($50), that's 38 models for the same $150. By comparison, I think GW is not offering you a very good deal, even assuming you really want those bikers and that rubble terrain. 

But sure, if you are brand new to Orks and are of the mindset that every ork kit should be bought and assembled as per the GW intructions, and are also unable to make your own terrain, then sure, $150 is better than the retail of buying these seperately.

6 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

Well, warbikers are a 5th ed kit. Terrain is just piles of random rubble, so despite giving you a "model" it's not really something you should have to buy. So I see it as $150 for two new vehicles, and a bunch of junk freebies. 

Now, compared to one of those HH Betrayal of Calnath box sets, also $150. You get 30 marines ($150 for 3 sets of 10), 5 Terminators ($60), a Contemptor Dread ($60), and two characters ($50), that's 38 models for the same $150. By comparison, I think GW is not offering you a very good deal, even assuming you really want those bikers and that rubble terrain. 

But sure, if you are brand new to Orks and are of the mindset that every ork kit should be bought and assembled as per the GW intructions, and are also unable to make your own terrain, then sure, $150 is better than the retail of buying these seperately.

Seems very elitist way of thinking. Especially since GW prices things based on how many they think people will need for an army or buy

As for age, if it's a current model it's a current model. Trukks are old as well but they have aged well same with bikes compared to the buggys

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, pretre said:

That being said, you might want to start weaning yourself off of models without rules or converting them to make them other models.

This is my opinion too index will eventually be extremely outdated... this is a refresh of my 5th ed army. I have a lot of Nobz that were built as a squad when you could upgrade entire units to cybork bodies (and they were good)... it is getting complicated to find a core top then add to. The additions will either be new models,  or cannibalized from my kan wall list.

Figuring out what has enough synergies to pass is what is getting complicated. Freeboota kulture is what I am going to use (I know it has issues but it will totally work). Battle wagons having multiple entries and one supporting shooty far better is tempting but it isn't open topped so it ruins what I used to do with it,  need to decide if that even matters any more!

This is a pretty drastic departure but it will actually support the way I originally built the list in ways that the last few books didn't so I skipped them...

4 hours ago, Lyraeus said:

Seems very elitist way of thinking. Especially since GW prices things based on how many they think people will need for an army or buy

As for age, if it's a current model it's a current model. Trukks are old as well but they have aged well same with bikes compared to the buggys

Hmmm..."elitist." Maybe? Not sure how it applies here...hmm...Is it elitist to thing that people should be able to make their own Rubble Terrain? Seems like a really low bar...but if that's not a low bar for you, then I guess it is elitist. Weird to think about it being elitism. Probably is.

Anyway, I only responded because you quoted me and gave an argument to something else I had said earlier. As LH points out, I'm not buying this set.

If the Mek Workshop doesn't get much use for buffing Speed Freeks vehicles, at least ou can mount it on a Stompa as an 'Iron Halo'.

Too bad the  Deffkilla Wartrke got the Primaris treatment in that there are no upgrades or weapon swaps to make to it, same thing with the new buggies. Stock Options and that's it.

Without access to the Nob Weapons list the Deffkilla Wartrike can't get the 3 Damage Kill Klaw or Redder Armor (although adding it to a character riding in a Stompa could be funny).

8 minutes ago, Skkipper said:

The whole not in the shops = not in the codex is a bummer. I don’t think I would pick up 40k today. I started in 93 and it was a modelers paradise. I am scaling way back and have khorne and Orks. I will probably switch to Orks for next year and see how it goes

This edition, especially with the rapid release schedule, has made it really hard to work on multiple armies. I'm stuggling with just Chaos and Bugs. 

1 minute ago, VonVilkee said:

There are three main guns available, take a pick and stick it on the gunboat one to be able to double shoot what ever you pick! No ork gun looks the same, so you kinda have whatever you want. 

Okay but the old one allowed you 4 Rokkit Launchas AND the Supa-Kannon.  Averages 11 missiles a round (basically)

3 minutes ago, Lord Hanaur said:

Okay but the old one allowed you 4 Rokkit Launchas AND the Supa-Kannon.  Averages 11 missiles a round (basically)

Away from book but battle wagon wargear list has weapons on it... and I believe 4 extra bolt ons were allowed, my list went minimum guns so I didn't look too close yet. The special deffrolla tank is amazing tho! I really like the three versions even with the complications. 

Just now, VonVilkee said:

Away from book but battle wagon wargear list has weapons on it... and I believe 4 extra bolt ons were allowed, my list went minimum guns so I didn't look too close yet. The special deffrolla tank is amazing tho! I really like the three versions even with the complications. 

Yeah i do not hate that Deffrolla.  Plus our club is called the Deffrollaz.  So a big fan.  Hehehe.

9 minutes ago, VonVilkee said:

Im looking ta the book now.  The GUNWAGON lets you take a KillKannon, albeit those shots only do 2 damage.  Firing it twice makes you go slow which is also not the goal.  Hmm...

Also it lets you take 4 Big Shootas but...I mean...why would you?  So yeah The former one seems infinitely better.

1 hour ago, Lord Hanaur said:

Im looking ta the book now.  The GUNWAGON lets you take a KillKannon, albeit those shots only do 2 damage.  Firing it twice makes you go slow which is also not the goal.  Hmm...

Also it lets you take 4 Big Shootas but...I mean...why would you?  So yeah The former one seems infinitely better.

Kill cannon is str 8 vs 7 in the index...

Did some quick math basic battle wagon with 5 tank bustas is 18 pts cheaper than index battle wagon with kill cannon and 4 rockets...

I think the new one is better add you get kulture and extra attacks on sixes!