Looking for a non-military empire builder.

Duckman

Not thinking Civ or Stellaris...  Really kinda want an economic sim but have not been bit by anything lately.  Diversity of Railroad Tycoon 2 but with a better underlying financial model maybe?

City builder a la Sim City might work.  Heck, even something like Rollercoaster Tycoon might scratch the itch if the price is right. (Rollercoaster Tycoon had very limited lifespan for me but was good for maybe 10-20 hours of amusement which would work right now.)

Anyone got any recommendations in the genre in the last ~2 years that you can recommend?

• Like 2

Banished is more like a town builder than a civ builder; you start with a small group of settlers and see how many winters you can survive and how big you can get your town/colony.

Have you tried the Tropico games? Might be worth a look. Not exactly realistic economic model (at all), but the music is good and the theme can be fun.

I've been trying out a couple in the vein of Railroad Tycoon - Transport Fever and Railway Empire. Neither one has grabbed me the way RT did, but maybe my tastes have changed...

Of course, if you really want to sink your teeth into something, there's always Dwarf Fortress.

• Like 2

Yeah, that's my problem, Pax.  I played Skylines when it came out and I have tried a bunch of the Tropico games but I don't recall which ones specifically (there may be a new one that I have not tried).  Rimworld, Dwarf Fortress (and its clones) and Banished I have not tried.  I just have not seen many cool things coming out lately...  Waiting on any non-shooters (and was not really impressed with the crop at E3 although when I went back and looked it was not as overloaded with shooters as I had initially felt).