Enfilade 2019 v4 mid-war Flames of War Tournament (Official Thread)

taran.shannara

1 hour ago, fingolfen said:

So all FoW MW is usable in the tournament?

Yes, "...WILL INCLUDE BOTH DESERT AND EASTERN FRONT "

Should be an interesting mix.

Hypothetically, my imagination conjures up an Allied (UK & US) landing in the Caucasus that brings together all Mid-war forces on adjacent battlefields.

I did not find online references to such plans, but pre-war plans could have been revived and modified to target German Forces instead of Soviet Forces. Operation Pike is one such example.

On 4/1/2019 at 12:33 PM, Souldier3 said:

Will units such as the M3 75mm GMC or the I&R platoon be allowed?

https://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=109&art_id=6088

I did discuss this with Mr. McCuen. He didn't have issues with me using M3 75mm GMC that I put in my list.  It's still best to double check with him first. Helps to keep other players from getting too excited about your "Big Bang Boom Sticks".

After action Review:

We ran a six player Enfilade practice today in tacoma at 109 points per player at 2:15 per match.  We ran two rotations with the Outcome of 4/6 matches could not be completed in the time allowed; one match finished on the buzzer and one finished in perimeters.

Group consensus is that 109 points is too big to finish in 2:15 resulting in a lot of players finishing on losing bracket scores.  

Option 1: reduce points and keep time

Option 2: extend time and keep points

Option 3: keep as is; prod your opponent to play as fast as possible.

16 hours ago, Noland said:

Option 1: reduce points and keep time

Option 2: extend time and keep points

Option 3: keep as is; prod your opponent to play as fast as possible.

Ref Option #1: If we are going to chg points, then do it soon. People need to chg their list and practice with the new list.

Ref Option #2: Extend time: prob not an option. After looking at the schedule, this could work, but only if you shorten/eliminate the lunck break:
From the Enfilade 2019 PEL as of 3-30-19
8:30 AM Player Check in start
9:15 AM Player Meeting
9:30-11:45 AM Round 1 (2h15m)
11:45 AM-12:45 PM break
12:45-3:00 PM Round 2 (2h15m)
3:00-3:30 PM break
3:30-5:45 PM Round 3 (2h15m)
Awards Ceremony ~6:00 PM

Next session starts at 7 PM. packing uk prob needs to start at 6:30 PM for tables to be free for next events at 7.

Ref Option #3: This is viable, since it is in both players' best interest.
HOW TO COMPLETE MISSIONS SOONER/ON TIME:
PRACTICE being faster. Faster play must become a habit. This is especially true for armies with lots of teams.
KNOW YOUR FORCE: If you are tweaking your army up until the last minute, then you will probably slow yourself down in the tournament.

PLAY MORE GAMES. If you play more games, then you have fewer questions and rules look-ups.
PLAY MOST OF THE MISSIONS: Especially the ones that are hard for you.

Been slammed with work stuff but have been following different issues. I'll be posting info on the first post later tonight with updates on the tournament based on various questions received. I have received a few emails and also been following the issue with points vs time allowed.  Option 2 is out because of the time slots at the convention and restrictions on my time. So, I'm sure it won't please everyone, especially those that purchased additional models to get their list points up, but I'm leaning heavily toward Option 1.

I will be allowing the Force Diagrams that are supplied here.

Community Unit Cards will be addressed.

Email lists to pdxwar@gmail.com by May 20th, 2019 11:59pm PDT so they can be reviewed and feedback given.

Not officially speaking for the northern herd but I think you would get a lot of applause on dropping the points and keeping time.  The crew that was playing were all experienced gamers that just got bogged down in big slug out matches that took time to play out.  Playing to 2:15 was just a bridge too far at 109pts.  However, if it stays, we will work with it because we are here to game and have fun.  Being the game owner is not easy and you have the challenges of being the decision maker.  Respect your decision.

First time I've even changed tournament points after announcing in 9 years of running then; First time for everything I guess. I've heard concerns on both sides so thank you all for the input.

Last year it was mid-war 71 pts and instead of 109 as originally planned we will split the difference of 19 in each direction. Still increasing the options available in the force but not overwhelming numbers yet based on the time allotted for each round.

Points are now set at 90 pts for Enfilade 2019.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Souldier3 said:

Wow 19 point drop.. was not expecting that large of a reduction. We played dogs of war at 109 pts and 2:30 per game and was able to finish 2 of 3 games.

This will require a complete revamp of my list I was refining scince Feb...

I feel the pain. man.

On the other hand, feels like a military operation. Change in transport. Not everything fits. Re-jigger your combat team. Same mission as before, tho.

At least we have time to chg list and practice with the new force composition

4 hours ago, taran.shannara said:

First time I've even changed tournament points after announcing in 9 years of running then; First time for everything I guess. I've heard concerns on both sides so thank you all for the input.

Last year it was mid-war 71 pts and instead of 109 as originally planned we will split the difference of 19 in each direction. Still increasing the options available in the force but not overwhelming numbers yet based on the time allotted for each round.

Points are now set at 90 pts for Enfilade 2019.

Thx 4 being BOLD and pragmatic, and responsive to feedback. Not always easy.

Maybe next year you and I can switch roles and you can play more games.

19 minutes ago, barca said:

Thx 4 being BOLD and pragmatic, and responsive to feedback. Not always easy.

Maybe next year you and I can switch roles and you can play more games.

I was already planning on stepping down as TO for Enfilade 2020 as I volunteered years back so the FOW tourney didn't die at the convention. It is a volunteer position with no benefits. I desired to play in tournaments. 🙂

I'd welcome barca to take it over. We can discuss transitions going forward to all comers.

2 hours ago, taran.shannara said:

I was already planning on stepping down as TO for Enfilade 2020 as I volunteered years back so the FOW tourney didn't die at the convention. It is a volunteer position with no benefits. I desired to play in tournaments. 🙂

I'd welcome barca to take it over. We can discuss transitions going forward to all comers.

I want a term limit.

4 hours ago, Souldier3 said:

Wow 19 point drop.. was not expecting that large of a reduction. We played dogs of war at 109 pts and 2:30 per game and was able to finish 2 of 3 games.

This will require a complete revamp of my list I was refining scince Feb...

The guys in WA expressed a desire to restart the Northwest Invasion (Challenge) tournament ('perhaps Fall of 2019). If so, then maybe you could persuade them to come up with a format that has longer time slots for games and 109 points for Mid-war. Either Noland or Bpoli7 might be contacts for that potential event, or they could point you to a volunteer in SW Washington who would organize it.