Bourbon

PumpkinHead

I just find bourbons pair poorly with cigars and as such, that means I prefer scotch. Thus, as a confirmed scotch drinker, I am legally required to mock whiskey drinkers at every opportunity. 

I mean, I won’t say “no” to a nice bourbon when offered. Uncivilized is one thing, but that’s just downright barbaric.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 11/19/2018 at 7:06 PM, Ish said:

Are you taking the piss or do you not know anything about how alcoholic beverages are made...?k

Mash refers to the materials that brewers use to produce the liquid (the wort) that they then ferment into alcohol. Bourbon uses a mash that is primarily corn, single malt scotch whisky (which is what civilized men drink) uses malted barley, etc.

Little of each, I suppose. The way he was talking about it, did sound like the bottle was half full of corn kernels, which is what I found amusing. Just the mental image. Yes, I knew that wasn't what he meant, but I thought he could laugh at the amusing mental image. A shared laugh at inexact text within the forum is pretty much half of the content here...I don't really think it was wrong to do so. I'm still picturing a jar of pickled corn when I think about it being 51% corn. 

Beyond that, yes, I have a very vague understanding of how alcoholic beverages are made. Don't really drink, so I've never really been interested in learning to make it. Sort of like how I have only a vague understanding of cocane or heroin. 

EDIT:

Here, at least 51% corn:

image.thumb.png.18a2190386bda4cd24ac6866d49839b1.png

They were distilling bourbon almost a century before Bourbon County was established and it was a popular drink in the saloons and taverns along New Orleans’ Bourbon Street by that time too.

The name for both the county, the street, and the liquor derives from the royal House of Bourbon.

The Bourbons originated in 1272, when the youngest son of King Louis IX married the heiress of the Duke of Bourbonnais. They’d spend the next three-hundred odd years as a “cadet branch” of the royal family... But Henry III died without any heirs in 1589. A few rounds of Game of Thrones style intrigue later, Henry IV was crowned as the first king of France of the Bourbon Dynasty.

By the late 18th century, the House of Bourbon held thrones in Spain, Italy, and France. Heck, Spain and Luxembourg have monarchs of the House of Bourbon right now! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Romans832 said:

I absolutely LOVE Michter's American.  It like a double rye.  So tasty.

Tried Larceny for the first time and it is a great bourbon for about $30.  Will buy again.

• Thanks 1

So, do you guys drink your Bourbon neat, rocks or mixed?

When drinking scotch I generally take mine neat with ice or water on the side but with whiskey and bourbon I tend to make a mixed drink like an Old Fashioned (or a variant like maybe orange bitters instead of bitters and an orange peel or simple syrup instead of a cube).

• Like 1

If I’m making a cocktail, this will change, but I prefer scotch straight up. Although on the rocks is acceptable if the bartender doesn’t know the difference between straight up and neat. I don’t dislike scotch neat, mind you, I just prefer it straight up.

Bourbon straight up or neat. 

I’m not fond of ice cubes in my drink.

Unless it’s the cheap stuff,@InfestedKerrigan is right on there, that stuffs for mixing with a two liter of Coke, cranking the Creedance, and puttering around the lake on the party barge. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like it mostly neat, but in order to avoid getting drunk too quick I'll do a cheap bourbon with diet coke, in a pint glass, with lime. All the regulars from Ordo that frequent the bar across the street know my order: Maker's Diet Tall with Lime.

Never cared that much about the everyday Michter's, occasionally the ten year can be good.

Bernheim makes me chub up...soooooooogood

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1