Bourbon

PumpkinHead

2 hours ago, PumpkinHead said:

bourbon sunrise so that I start off my day with some fruit.

Fruit for the fruit cake.

I am a big mixer. Back in college I was Long Island Ice Tea (top shelf) & AMF (top shelf).

Rum & Coke
Brandy & 7

Now these days as I learn more I mix and match. Neat, straight, tend to avoid the ice,
Still love Rum & Diet Coke
Find Bourbon & Diet Pepsi go well.

If you invite me over and serve it your favorite way, I won't insult you, I drink it your way.

1 hour ago, Romans832 said:

If you invite me over and serve it your favorite way, I won't insult you, I drink it your way.

Sadly, Romans, I can no longer invite you over to liquor you up.

We moved about 18 months ago to central Mexico and spent a year there and then when we were working on a visa for our second move the company put a kibosh on it dragged me back to the states.  We're over on the Ohio Pennsylvania border outside Pittsburgh these days.

If you get bored and take pity on me sometime, send me some cider.  🙂

I learned to be a scotch snob years ago and as such turned my nose up at bourbons and whiskeys (as a college student all I had been able to afford was cheap stuff which was not worth going back to).  As such I learned to drink good stuff neat or to crack it (which involves a drop from an eye-dropper or more likely sticking a finger in a glass of ice water and shaking a few drops into your drink).  Anything else is intentionally diluting based on how much I intend to drink.

• Thanks 1

Thank you kindly for the thought.

I, as I would hope understand, was trying to say I try to honor my host wherever I'm at and drink it their way.

Wife & I had the pleasure of helping Chambers Bay Distillery fill on Sat & Sun back in Dec. Second day was the special bourbon, I asked him if he had an opinion on how it's drank and if I may bring Coke Zero. He had no problem with it. (The day before filling Ghost Dog we were drinking everything straight)

I brought my Zero and it was funny how many people were like, DUDE genius!
ROFL

What can I say? I was taught to mix 😄

Sure hope you're having a great time out East. We have a ton of amazing ciders, if you ever come to the Tacoma area and need a place to crash, you have a bed available... Plus, once you get your legs under you I'll introduce you to Cockrell Cider, Schilling Cider Tap Room, Schilling Cider Cider House, Fierce County, Locust, Elemental Cider, oh Lord, a million ciders in Woodinville, 3 cideries over on the peninsula, 2 or 3 ciders out on Vashon island... If you wanna do cider, I know a thing or two 😉

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Romans832 said:

Sure hope you're having a great time out East. We have a ton of amazing ciders, if you ever come to the Tacoma area and need a place to crash, you have a bed available... Plus, once you get your legs under you I'll introduce you to Cockrell Cider, Schilling Cider Tap Room, Schilling Cider Cider House, Fierce County, Locust, Elemental Cider, oh Lord, a million ciders in Woodinville, 3 cideries over on the peninsula, 2 or 3 ciders out on Vashon island... If you wanna do cider, I know a thing or two 😉

Look at me, I'm a cider drinker... Lets talk about cider in a bourbon thread... 😛

Anyone else collecting the horses on top of Blanton's bottles?  I am looking for the " 's " horse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...

I feel like there needs to be more bourbon or at least more whiskey talk... I got a set of glencairn crystal whiskey glasses... I have some stuff to put in them but it won't last. What is something I should consider getting? I'm looking more mass market to start so I can taste while paying myself back for the glasses...

large.glencarn_glass_full.png.a083010d6284ac89d9e8c6cfbdbd1cf7.pngyes it contains Scottish pride! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Update time! Decided I needed to test if there was a difference with these glencairn glasses over say just a shot glass. With a gathering on Friday I was reluctant to use my small collection of whiskey and wanting to try and exclude placebo effect from my excitement I chose some nice vodka.

Why vodka? Less complicated nose, taste and my wife will drink it! I can now say these glencairn absolutely make a difference. The vodka was basically odorless in the shot glass and mostly tasteless as expected (slightly starchy which was why I have it). In the glencairn I was able to detect potato notes on nose alone! The taste was more than just starchy it was full potato with a sweet note towards the end. 

Beyond what I was able to discern the wife was like "wow that vodka has flavor!" This puts the placebo effect to bed. 

I am beyond excited to have a four whiskey tasting this Friday with these glasses! Each one already has proven to have different discernable flavors in just shot glass this is gonna be better! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Okay new development... these glasses are AMAZING! The wife now likes whiskey. After last night's successful test I looked closely at the whiskey and found there was a substantial amount more in our bottle of Four Roses bourbon. I decided to have a dram and Sarah joined me, she loves how these little glasses help separate the yummy from the alcohol. 

Totally recommend picking them up not only for the discerning sipper but also for the newbie who may not even know they like whiskey! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Warm sake, booo....

It's a gross oversimplification but the reason to warm sake is to mask cheap sake and make it palatable.

(Ok, maybe not entirely true, but close enough...  It masks some elements which is generally used to mask undesirables in cheaper sake...  High quality, unfiltered served cold for the win!)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Romans832 said:

Then please be so kind as to introduce me to good sake

Personal taste, but I like https://www.urbansake.com/sake/dassai-50-junmai-ginjo-nigori/

Nigori (or Nigori Sake or Nigorizake) is a coarse filter which leaves you a slightly sweet, milky sake.  This one comes from Asahi Shuzo which is one of the more popular breweries available for import.  This one in particular has a complex profile and serves well cold.  I personally like it with sushi and sashimi where I can pair it with wasabi and the salt from the soy.

The filtered version (https://www.urbansake.com/sake/dassai-50-junmai-daiginjo/) is easier to sip without accompaniment but is also a less complex profile (perhaps more appropriate as a starting point).

• Like 1

Since the topic doesn't seem to be just bourbon anymore:

IMG_20190501_004738972.thumb.jpg.9d3cfce4743a94b2eacd8291d912f686.jpg

My beloved room temperature clearspring. Good for reminding me why alcoholism isn't my path.

Really cheap too.

So a few of us attend an annual whiskey party. This year there was a test. 

Five unmarked bottles were tasted in random order and given tasting notes. Three bottles were decent mid shelf bourbons of similar constitution. The fourth was really expensive and unavailable. The fifth one was an experimental mixture created to simulate the fourth and much less expensive than the first three. 

About ninety percent of the room picked either the fourth or fifth selection on an even split. 

Has anyone done blind tasting? Do you think you can identify quality using taste alone?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1