For those interested, Star Citizen is running a Fly Free trial week starting today (Black Friday)

Duckman

I am not a backer which is why I was so interested in the free-fly week.  To be honest, I really kinda expected Star Citizen to vanish into the vapor-sphere and go the way of Duke Nukem.

At this time you really can log in and play 100% for free.  Create an account and be given ships to fly for free to experiment.

I have logged in every day since Black Friday.  The engine is rough, clearly still in Alpha.  The setting is incredibly immersive...  Unlike Elite Dangerous (where your activity off-ship is limited to a series of menus in spaceport or colony) you only ever have a first person view from your avatar and each ship has unique structure (internal and external) and landing and interacting with other people (PC and NPC) is completely in-setting.  The available locations are very limited at the moment and the game is clearly still more than a year away (project work for the next 6 months is clearly laid out on the roadmap) but they have a solid tech demo going at least at the moment and it is promising.

Elite Dangerous is ready to play now.  It's got a functional economy and setting and ships, etc.  Star Citizen is much rougher.  It lacks the diversity of locations and the dynamic mission system but it is already more immersive and roughly equally polished in terms of graphics.

On 11/28/2018 at 8:37 AM, Duckman said:

I am not a backer which is why I was so interested in the free-fly week.  To be honest, I really kinda expected Star Citizen to vanish into the vapor-sphere and go the way of Duke Nukem.

Ever seen The Producers? That was my expectation for Star Citizen. I mean, they didn't really have a product, just an idea they pitched, and they probably will be better off if they just keep the money and make a shoddy game. Their crowdfunding approach didn't require them to actually do anything and they made enough money where they could all just retire, so from a business stance, I kinda feel the whole thing is pointless.

In the end I have decided not to support Star Citizen right now.

It's still a rough Alpha but they have a lot of things in place and there is some promise there.  They still have some major tech to work on though and I am not sure they're going to manage to pull off some of their critical systems.

The main reason I have held off at this point is that CIG has published their roadmap and they are routinely missing milestones and targets.  They may eventually finish these tasks and reach their milestones but at this point I think they are 3-6 months off their targets and that looks to be slipping further and further.  I want to wait until I see a clearer path to delivery and an actual product for my money.

I  will say that the free-fly week has given me reason to continue following the product with hope that it completes so it did manage to change my mindset, it just didn't capture my money.

For the record, I followed your link and got lost in their store. I wanted to gauge the paid price before I let the game entice me. And in the store page, almost all of the ships are unavailible and there's no way to search just for buyable ships. So I burnt out there and never actually tried the game. Thanks for the link, though. 

On 11/30/2018 at 1:47 PM, Duckman said:

There are ways but the nutshell is a basic investment is $45-$65 (depending on whether or not you want Squadron 42 included for you).  Ships are insane and range from $35 I think at the lowest to $1300 (I believe that the Idris is the most expensive thing on the market at the moment).

Wow. Well, I'd have to give up 40k to get into that. Plus, I suppose I'd burn through PCs faster, so extra costs there. Hmm...yeah, I don't think this game will work for me. Still, glad I asked, it does look cool.

All ships are purchasable through in-game currency.  The cash sales are just a way to jump (way) ahead on the curve.  If you want to play it the entry level is enough and it means that you'll have lots to do (and of course you can always crew on someone else's ship which is my plan if I buy in).