Vigilus Weekender data dump (from reddit)

Dusldorf

4 hours ago, Ish said:

Just spitballing here, but what if the Imperial Guard was returned to having an Infantry Platoon (infantry squads, special weapon squads, heavy weapon squads, etc.) all fit into the force org chart as a single Troops choice?

This would make it harder to “fill” a Battalion FOC with a minimum amount of Imperial Guard.

Plus, narratively it would make more sense that the amount of Imperial Guard grunts that we’ve been calling a platoon since the early Nineties isn’t now a Battalion! 

I would vastly prefer their Troops Choices to come in Platoons still. I always liked the conception that the IG Platoon was the basic Unit of the Guard, same as the Tactical Squad is the basic Unit of the Space Marines.

3 hours ago, Ish said:

I think Genestealer Cults, Tyranids, and Orks can all fill out a Battlion FOC fairly cheaply too. The main difference is that they don’t have the same “soup ingredient” options that the Imperium does. 

Renegade Guard from FW is the other one that's potentially problematic, since Chaos has a fair few Armies that can make good use of the extra CP.

1 hour ago, Munkie said:

I'm personally a fan of the "CPs generated by a detachment may only be used by that detachment" solution.

All the CP batteries die, but the soup doesn't. 

I know a couple of people who have tried that as a house rule, and found that, in practice, it's more trouble to keep track of than you might think.

1 hour ago, paxmiles said:

Is it just the imperium that needs to modified/regulated? If it is just the one faction making problems with their soup, perhaps the regulation needs to address only them.

Aeldari and Chaos soup Armies can be problematic as well. But the reasons are different for each, and so the solutions will need to be different for each.

16 minutes ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Calgar isn't available. Looks like discontinued previous kits in favor of, or to force sales of Primarneus Calgar.

So does the new model have a new profile, or did they just update the sculpt? I hope they just updated the model. 

What about a cap on CP spent per turn/phase/deployment? (Abilities that negate CP expendature don't negate CP counted for this cap.)

For example, each player can use stratagems with cost not exceeding 5 per game round, 5 in deployment, and no more than 5 pre-game. So with 6 game rounds, a max of 40 CP could be spent by one player. But if the game ends turn 3, only 25 CP could have been spent.

Still a lot to work with, but makes excessive CP get weighed against game length. If you plan to win by turn 2, you'd really only be able to benefit from 20 CP. 

7 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

What about a cap on CP spent per turn/phase/deployment? (Abilities that negate CP expendature don't negate CP counted for this cap.)

For example, each player can use stratagems with cost not exceeding 5 per game round, 5 in deployment, and no more than 5 pre-game. So with 6 game rounds, a max of 40 CP could be spent by one player. But if the game ends turn 3, only 25 CP could have been spent.

Still a lot to work with, but makes excessive CP get weighed against game length. If you plan to win by turn 2, you'd really only be able to benefit from 20 CP. 

I hate the spending cap solutions. Some armies need to spend all their points in one turn to be effective. Better to make high-value strats cost more CP than restrict how many you can spend per phase.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, WestRider said:

I know a couple of people who have tried that as a house rule, and found that, in practice, it's more trouble to keep track of than you might think.

I really don't think it's possible for it to be more trouble than exactly as much trouble as I think it would be. 

Get dice that match the paint schemes of the various detachments. And shift those dice down when units in that detachment use it.

Have another die that matches nothing in the army and use that to track the 3 "universal" CPs.

It's exactly as complicated as keeping of faction benefits within multiple detachments. Both require you to know what keyword the unit operating has and what detachment they belong to.

6 minutes ago, Munkie said:

Get dice that match the paint schemes of the various detachments. And shift those dice down when units in that detachment use it.

What if my Detachments all have the same paint scheme? Lots of people build/paint models independently of any in-game army list(s) we will be bringing to the table.

Another option: What if you only generated the bonus CP for one Detachment, with and secondary or tertiary Detachment(s) contributing either a reduced or even no bonus CP?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ish said:

What if my Detachments all have the same paint scheme? Lots of people build/paint models independently of any in-game army list(s) we will be bringing to the table.

Another option: What if you only generated the bonus CP for one Detachment, with and secondary or tertiary Detachment(s) contributing either a reduced or even no bonus CP?

Get base rings or something.

1 hour ago, Ish said:

Do you know which detachment that unit belongs to? If so, you should be able to handle this. Heck, get a piece of scratch paper, write "Battalion, outrider, spearhead" on it and put a die next to each word.

1 hour ago, Ish said:

Then they would only be able to use the 3 (or less if using an Auxilary detachment) "universal" CPs.

40k is a very large and complicated game. There are many things to keep track of. I just don't buy "I'm able to add CPs from different detachments together, but the minute you ask me to start subtracting CPs according to who is using them, then the game tips into the unmanageably complicated realm" as a legitimate argument.

Is it more complicated than the current system? Yes.

Is it too complicated for 40k? Not even remotely.

Easy fix.  Change amount of units of troops to amount of points spent in troops. 

Say for example only (cause I don’t know a fair number) 200pts or more of troops to meet Battlation requirements.

stop trying to limit people on how they use stragems.  Just make the requirement for the detachment based pts.  That way it’s fair across all armies.

I just prefer games to have as few “moving parts” as possible. Specialized subsystems (e.g., older Shadowrun’s [in]famous street/astral/matrix divide) bother me and so do different resolution mechanics (e.g., AD&D’s skill tests versus THAC0).

With war games in particular, I prefer things to have the least amount of “book keeping” as can be... So while I like the idea of Command Points, like the idea of spending them on strategic and tactical bonuses, and I love the idea of multiple FOCs and detachments. Well, I don’t really care for the execution of the idea.

If I could rewrite the whole system from scratch, I’d make every Stratagem into a “Strategy Card.” Then have players get a hand of cards, with a hand-size based on the “rarity” of their detachment FOCs (so the common Battalion might have a hand of eight, the rarer Vanguard or Spearhed only five or six, etc.) Certain Stratagems that are really basic (i.e., re-roll a die) might actually count as “free” so that any card could be spent for that effect. 

Bookeeping would be minimal here, since you’d calculate your hand-size during list building, only have the cards in your hand until played, and that’s that. Okay, yeah, you’d need to buy a deck of cards... But, meh, not the biggest expense in this hobby.

• Like 3