Is this actually a Blood Angels decal?

Stoobert

Looks like one of the old “campaign badges,” circa Second Edition.

mi_Nbga4YkoYGPUwUFrCB1A.jpg

Edit: Ah-ha! I knew I knew where this was from, but I forgot exactly what it was supposed to be. It’s from the 2e Leman Russ decal sheet, but it’s not a campaign badge it’s a squadron marking.

It’s hard to see the white wing, but it’s between the black and red ones, just to the right of the scythes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

If you could get your hands on a lot of these old decal sheets, this would be a very effective way to create a Blood Angels successor chapter. You could even use the three colors (black, red, white) to denote Company, Squad Type, Rank, or whatever...

But man, you’d need a lot of these sheets.

• Like 1

@Ish is correct about that being a larger version of the same symbol, with a thin black outline, on the IG transfer sheet.  I applied the smaller un-bordered version you see in the photo that I found from Space Marine Vehicle Transfer Sheet.   It looked "Blood Angel-y" but now that I've applied it on my d00ds I'm not sure.....

@pretre a 'setting solution' for decals such as Solvaset, let dry, then followed by a gloss coat, then followed by a flat coat... is the way to get deals to nestle into cracks and curves and look natural.

Space-Marine-MARINES-VEHICLE-TRANSFER-SHEET-Decals-Transfers.jpg

24 minutes ago, Ish said:

Huh. So it is a campaign badge... Just on a different decal sheet. The Imperium does tend to reuse the same iconographs a lot.

And part of the point of Campaign Badges specifically is that they identify all members of a given operation, regardless of what branch of the Imperium they come from. So they really should have the same Campaign Badges on all the transfer sheets.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stoobert said:

Cool, good to know thanks @WestRider.  It's a campaign (which campaign?) that looks Blood Angely.  I was worried it was the symbol of another chapter, but if it's not, I am satisfied it's appropriate enough for my Blood Angels.  Thanks guys!

The various badges that were made as decals weren't made with any specific campaign in mind. It was something that started back in 2nd Ed just to help make Armies that used Allies a bit more visually coherent.

• Like 1

The only campaign badges that are canonical are the Indomitus Crusade, which used a skull-in-a-circle (and that's a bit of a stretch to call canonical, but the GW Studio did put it on the greaves or knees of most of the Primaris Ultramarines when they were showing them off in official artwork at launch) (this was a decal in the old 2e sheets and was a company marking for vehicles according to the 2e codex) and the Third War for Armageddon which used a black cross in a white diamond (they never made a decal for this and it was shown inconsistently in artwork). 

According to the old 2e Codex: Ultramarines that spelt out all the "rules" for these things, campaign badges were supposed to be fairly simple shapes derived from existing Imperial heraldry, often having some sort of symbolic connection to the location of the campaign or its leadership. Since High Marshal Helbrecht of the Black Templars was the (nominal) head honcho of the Imperium's combined forces for that war, making the templar cross the campaign badge makes sense. As for the Indomitus Crusade's logo, well, I think its safe to say that a skull counts as a "simple shape" in the Imperium... Goodness knows they're common enough.

99120101179_PrimarisCaptain01.jpg

YETYc.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ish said:

If you could get your hands on a lot of these old decal sheets, this would be a very effective way to create a Blood Angels successor chapter. You could even use the three colors (black, red, white) to denote Company, Squad Type, Rank, or whatever...

But man, you’d need a lot of these sheets.

There's a bunch at WOW and a bunch at GG in with their bits. Lots of us don't use these decal sheets at all, and just give them away (or sell them). 

19 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

There's a bunch at WOW and a bunch at GG in with their bits. Lots of us don't use these decal sheets at all, and just give them away (or sell them). 

Oh, back in the day I had scores of the things kicking around. I mean, at one point I had 20 Leman Russ tanks and since I only used the "Mordian" script, the white aquillae, and the black lightning bolt in a circle badge... Yeah, I had a lot of spares. Hung onto them for years, but never did find anyone who wanted them and never found a use for them myself. But they're harder to come by these days...

I've noticed @Ish using decals in 40k isn't very common, at least not in North America that I have seen, for two possible reasons.  They're seen by GW hobbyists as non-essential.  And even sort of how do I say this, perceived as a "less skilled?" method compared to painting.   Whereas in the historical modeling community (where I come from originally) decals are quite essential, and great care is taken to use decals (and Solvaset/Microsol) to make your model as realistic as possible.  Different strokes, and I love me some decals. 😉

I used to use the hell outta them myself, but I was mentored in my formative years in this hobby by grognard Napoleonic war gamers. 

Not sure why they never caught on in the States. My guess is that a lot of American wargamers got into the hobby solely through Games Workshop's own stores (indeed, I've met a few war gamers who've never heard of other war games) and GW doesn't manufacture anything like Microsol/Microset... and the tap water method just doesn't work as well.

I will admit that, these days, when it comes to things like Chapter Badges on Space Marines, I really prefer the look of sculpted pads. Especially with third-party bits manufacturers like Pop Goes the Monkey making them readily available.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I also feel like it just fits with the overly ornate, overly elaborate, overly... um... over aesthetic of today's WH40k.  I'd probably use decals for unit markings and decoration for Eldar or Tau (if I were ever to collect such an army) because they'd look better on the broad, smooth, flowing surfaces of those model ranges. 

3 hours ago, Stoobert said:

@IshThey're seen by GW hobbyists as non-essential.  And even sort of how do I say this, perceived as a "less skilled?" method compared to painting.   😉

I've heard both sides of that argument. Back in the 90s, I was sitting around in Games & Gizmos talking about freehand with someone else. The "decals are for people who can't freehand" bit came up, and someone else responded with "Freehand is for people who can't apply decals", and, well, neither of us had any counter-argument there 😉

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Ish said:

I will admit that, these days, when it comes to things like Chapter Badges on Space Marines, I really prefer the look of sculpted pads. Especially with third-party bits manufacturers like Pop Goes the Monkey making them readily available.

I just spent over 100 bucks on some stuff! I hate you and myself 😜.

Honestly though thank you for this reference. I've been uh happy with my free hand shoulders for awhile. Very reasonable conversion for just adding to existing pads. I was also able to find some cool "I" for my deathwatch primaris army. 

• Like 1

Ironically, I’ve yet to buy anything from PGtM myself, but I’ve been following their shop for a couple years now and recommend them to lots of my friends. They’ve always been happy with them.

I follow PGtM on Facebook too and he’s very active with the community, answers questions quickly, and just seems like a genuinely cool guy. 

51 minutes ago, Ish said:

Ironically, I’ve yet to buy anything from PGtM myself, but I’ve been following their shop for a couple years now and recommend them to lots of my friends. They’ve always been happy with them.

I follow PGtM on Facebook too and he’s very active with the community, answers questions quickly, and just seems like a genuinely cool guy. 

Even better! I went with his sigalite "I"  to make my deathwatch a little different. 

And that chaos radioactive symbol will look amazing black and yellow on purple I think... fix those hazards stripes by making them disappear! I briefly considered getting his 3d hazard stripes but they didn't look good on the left shoulder (of the model), my models have alot of sculpted right shoulder pads, and the glue on bit was way cheaper!

Just last night, I placed my preorder for two of the Imperial Fist holiday bundles, which are supposed to include quite a bit of sculpted chapter badge pauldrons (18 regular sized ones and 9 larger ones). So I'm probably covered as far as chapter pauldrons go. I'm probably going to order his Squad Marking Multipack to handle the other shoulder... 

I also really like his shields, but there isn't anything in the Primaris Marines line-up (yet) that uses either combat shields or storm shields. Maybe if I add some Inceptors in the future, I'll put a shield in one hand and have them just carry one gun... I find it easier to imagine them firing one gun twice as fast than I do imaging them using guns-akimbo heavy bolters. 

Cyanoacrylate-based glues (a.k.a superglue) should work just fine, but I don't think plastic glue will react with the Shapeways material the same way it does "regular" plastic.  Definitely something I'd want to experiment with first... Most of the Shapeways bitz come on sprues of their own, so maybe try to glue some of that sprue to some of your dudemens' sprue?

2 minutes ago, Ish said:

Cyanoacrylate-based glues (a.k.a superglue) should work just fine, but I don't think plastic glue will react with the Shapeways material the same way it does "regular" plastic.  Definitely something I'd want to experiment with first... Most of the Shapeways bitz come on sprues of their own, so maybe try to glue some of that sprue to some of your dudemens' sprue?

That's the plan... I love glue loopers for use with thin super glue it will work very well if that is what needs to be done. The thinner the layer of glue the better the bond and the glue loopers let you get just the right amount where you need it.