WoW January 2019 40k League interest?

Dark Trainer

Are you interested in a 40k League running 2019 Jan-Feb?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in a 40k League running Jan-Feb?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe (only choose this if you're close to YES)
  2. 2. Are you a newer player who needs the league to start at 500pts? (fully painted not required, but preferred)

• Yes
    • Nope, i can bring 1k+
  3. 3. Would you like it to end with a tournament first Saturday of March?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't care

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/15/2018 at 12:17 AM

It only let's me keep the 3 poll questions up top. But I had one more question then, related to those who would be 'truly' growing an army. Don't respond if you already have mostly assembled armies. 

I need to know who would 'need' a slower paced league. below are my two league escalation plans (I can tweak the pacing too, just determining if we should end at 1500, 1750, or 2k). I usually get feedback from those with established forces to get past the 1k quickly. Only need to know if you NEED option B.

A) 750, 1000, 1250, 1500, 1500, 1750, 1750/2000

B) 750, 750, 1000, 1000, 1250, 1500, 1500 (or something similar where it ends at 1500)

Is the plan to have each week be the previous week's army, plus the new points? Or is the plan that we can field an entirely different army each time, just at an increasing point level?

I'm kinda hoping to run something new this time around, but I don't think I have the cash to reach the upper levels of the league with a new army. 

500 / 500 / 500 / 750 / 750 / 1000 / 1000 / 1500 

This is my vote. 500 Points for most factions is an HQ and two (maybe three) units. Most factions can add another unit or two for ~250 Points. 

This gives a nice progression towards a “final” army and lets everyone have a couple weeks to figure out how things work for them and to build/paint new things to add.

(I would also move that we officially adopt a “fudge factor” rule to allow people to go 5-10 Points over the limit in any week but the 1500 Point finale. But you’re honor bound to buy your opponent a candy bar or something.)

• Like 1

On 11/30/2018 at 3:39 PM, wzzzzrd said:

Crap I'm playing tau, so I should have said my bonding knife, but it doesn't sound as cool.

<Slashes hand with knife and raises it for all to see> "You have my Bond."

I’m a solid maybe... depending on how things shake out.  I don’t look forward to the commute into downtown... but I really miss playing at the club lol. 

Min also curious as to how the rules for the league work out.  I’m fine with either really.  I played a few rounds of the GW store set up as pax relaid.  It was nice but not a big deal for me.  

Although I’d be looking for an excuse to build s mechanicus force I’ve been collecting bits for. 

-d

I’m lucky (sorta) to live in the Inner Northeast. Makes getting anywhere in the city proper pretty easy for me, even though I’m carless. On the other hand, getting to Beaverton, Hillsboro, or the outer Southeast can take over an hour and a half... but would be fifteen minutes by car. Oregon City or Salem might as well be on the moon.  

6 minutes ago, Ish said:

I’m lucky (sorta) to live in the Inner Northeast. Makes getting anywhere in the city proper pretty easy for me, even though I’m carless. On the other hand, getting to Beaverton, Hillsboro, or the outer Southeast can take over an hour and a half... but would be fifteen minutes by car. Oregon City or Salem might as well be on the moon.  

Last time I trekked into WoW on a game night after work ... driving it took about an hour and a half lol.  

2 hours ago, Ish said:

Downtown? Did we move...?

WOW is kinda downtown portland. I take the MAX to downtown (Yamhill Stop) and just walk over the bridge to GG/WOW. Takes 1-2 hours, most of that being the MAX ride (and waiting for MAX trains). 10-20 minutes of walking.

@Dark Trainer A thought occurs. I'm planning to pay Ordo yearly dues in January and will be hesitant to pay further Ordo-related fees for the league in the same month. Is there a way we could get league dues to go towards Ordo Membership fees? Or just not have to pay extra for the league...?

13 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

@Dark Trainer A thought occurs. I'm planning to pay Ordo yearly dues in January and will be hesitant to pay further Ordo-related fees for the league in the same month. Is there a way we could get league dues to go towards Ordo Membership fees? Or just not have to pay extra for the league...?

This is actually why i'm considering a FREE league. Plus if you have your champion dues in getting the discounted game night rate is always a plus.

Also looking at free entry into the 40k tournament at the end if you paid champ dues and played X games in the league. This is something I need approval on, but so far not looking like an issue.

So it sounds like a slower pace is desired so folks can actually build up an army (escalation style).  Let's play devil's advocate, if I choose a slower escalation level, would anyone 'hate' this (Historically losing interest in small point games is far more common than needing escalation to drag out):

Escalation League: 750, 750, 1000, 1250, 1250, 1500, 1500.

Tournament would be 1500 or 1750.

The 750's and 1k will be doubles games (2v2). 1250 & 1500 be 1v1 (or doubles if people really wanted to). The 2 bolded values (1250 & 1500's) could be increased by one level if too slow (i.e. 1250 becomes 1500, 1500 becomes 1750). That said, that is a VERY slow progression, I always find people get bored of small points levels and you're talking 5 weeks of it. It's very easy to assemble models to play, painting is NOT required 100%, meaning you have more than enough time to get stuff painted over the time anyway. Getting 1k of minis is VERY easy, and shouldn't require three weeks to assemble 1k. Plus people have a heads up, they have four weeks now they could start.

25 minutes ago, Dark Trainer said:

So it sounds like a slower pace is desired so folks can actually build up an army (escalation style).  Let's play devil's advocate, if I choose a slower escalation level, would anyone be 'hate' this (Historically losing interest in small point games is far more common than needing escalation to drag out):

Escalation League: 750, 750, 1000, 1250, 1250, 1500, 1500.

Tournament would be 1500 or 1750.

The 750's and 1k will be doubles games (2v2). 1250 & 1500 be 1v1 (or doubles if people really wanted to). The 2 bolded values (1250 & 1500's) could be increased by one level if too slow. That said, that is a VERY slow progression, I always find people get bored of small points levels and you're talking 5 weeks of it. It's very easy to assemble models to play, painting is NOT required 100%, meaning you have more than enough time to get stuff painted over the time anyway.

First, why require doubles? 750pt plays just fine in this edition. That said, no objections to doubles or 3-way battles if players want that. Just seems foolish to make the event require 4x players be present (increases odds that we won't all be able to play). I suggest making the first two missions work well for doubles, 3-way, and 2-way (normal) games. King of Hill is one of the better missions for 3-way games, as is capture the flag. 

Second, as asked but not answered above, is the plan we make entirely new armies for each week, or that we use the same models and just add the points difference from the previous week? Escalation leagues are usually one of the two.

Third, if you start at 750, is the plan to limit unit selection, or should I expect the possibility of imperial knights (and the like) as opponents in 750pt games?

And for clarity, Starting at zero and acquiring 1500pts of models can be a daunting task and is rather demanding on my wallet. Painting isn't really my concern, it's buying the models. The beauty of a stretched out and low point escalation league is that I can actually buy new models and add them to my army as I learn what I'll need to face the local meta. This matters less if entirely new armies are made at each week, rather than carrying over the list from the previoius week.

And don't forget, just because we have league doesn't mean we still can't also meet at WOW on tuesday night to play other games of 40k (at whatever point level). Could meet, play our 750pt battle, and then play a 1500pt battle with another army. It's not like having the league overrides the WOW game night. 

Personally, I say any army built to the appropriate point values, using a legal Force Org chart and a legal codex/index/imperial armour book should be allowed in. Knights, Baneblades, Hellblades, whatever! 

I also think we should encourage (if not absolutely require) the use of the same units throughout. Take a Firewarrior Squad during Week One, you should be incentivized to use that same squad in each subsequent week. Maybe every week that a unit is reused gets you +1/10 of a “League Victory Point” or something small like that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ish said:

Personally, I say any army built to the appropriate point values, using a legal Force Org chart and a legal codex/index/imperial armour book should be allowed in. Knights, Baneblades, Hellblades, whatever! 

I also think we should encourage (if not absolutely require) the use of the same units throughout. Take a Firewarrior Squad during Week One, you should be incentivized to use that same squad in each subsequent week. Maybe every week that a unit is reused gets you +1/10 of a “League Victory Point” or something small like that.

Only downside to requiring/encouraging the same units be used AND starting at 750pt with weekly 250pt increases, is that you are indirectly encouraging week 1 to be nothing but the most expensive units availible due to the difficulty of adding them later. Baneblades and Knights, for example, don't fit in a 250pt increase, but they'd fit perfectly in that starting 750pts

And that's not a problem if players understand this when designing their week 1 list...

That’s true... Maybe we should come up with some sort of “League Detachment” chart?

Unlock a new slot or two each week, but it’s “unit type fixed” once you fill it. So in Week One, I could field two Tactical Squads. That “locks” those slots as Tactical Squads, but I could make them bigger or smaller, change their wargear, whatever other options they have... But they’d always be Tactical Squads.