March to War III - March 2nd & 3rd @ Guardian Games

Have just heard back from the venue, was able to secure another 4 tables, giving us a total of 32 spots. Was shooting for at least 5 more tables, but was informed that 4 was the max I could get.

I have updated the Sign-up list, and will continue anyone interested to get on the reserves list, in the event that a player has to drop.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andrewgeddon said:

Have just heard back from the venue, was able to secure another 4 tables, giving us a total of 32 spots. Was shooting for at least 5 more tables, but was informed that 4 was the max I could get.

I have updated the Sign-up list, and will continue anyone interested to get on the reserves list, in the event that a player has to drop.

104010603-makeit_craig_cooper_sardines_3

😁

• Haha 1

We're less than a month away from the event! Reserves list has been updated (sorry for the delay!), so I thought I would post some reminders and clarifications!

-March to War III will be a 9th Age US Masters qualifying event! This is now noted in the current version of the event packet, found HERE.

-Lists are due February 23rd (by 11:59pm PST). Players who submit lists by the deadline will receive 5 bonus Battle Points towards their "Best General / Best Overall" scores, so get those lists in! Please make sure lists are legible, preferable typed rather than hand written. Army Builder or Battlescribe is fine, just make sure they are sent as a PDF and not a data file. Lists should be submitted to andrewgeddon@gmail.com

-Please review and familiarize yourself with the venue's policies, found HERE. As March to War will take place in Guardian Game's Critical Sip and Level-Up areas, the event is 21+. Make sure you know the store's age restriction, beverage, and parking policies prior to arriving.

-Entry fee PayPal email is NOT the same as the list submission email! To pay for your entry fee, please send $30 via PayPal to:

Lcnecro@hotmail.com

When submitting payment, please also submit your name (first and last) and a note for "March to War entry fee." Refunds will be given up until March 1st if you are unable to make it, however as entry fees are actively being spent in order to secure venue rental fees, trophies, printing, and other necessities for the event, please allow up to 14 days for a refund.

-If you find yourself unable to make the event, please let me know as soon as possible! I hope everyone will be able to, but life happens! In the event of a player dropping, I will contact players from the "Reserves" list in the order that they appear to see if they wish to fill the spot.

Looking forward to March!

• Like 1

On 2/5/2019 at 10:29 PM, Andrewgeddon said:

policies

Wow. I did not know that I could park across the street. That makes me 40% more likely to go to GG for something. Normally I wouldn't go unless I was walking in the area... (pretty rarely, but not never).

Also, the water bottle policy is strange. I can't bring my own water? Or I have to leave it with the bartender... I understand the rule but I've never seen one like it before. I also don't get out much.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, valourunbound said:

Also, the water bottle policy is strange. I can't bring my own water? Or I have to leave it with the bartender... I understand the rule but I've never seen one like it before. I also don't get out much.

Ya, the no water bottle thing is kind of weird. 

OLCC is pretty brutal. But, interestingly enough, it does require that GG offers us at least 5 "substantial meal options" during all hours that they also serve alcohol. I think this means that the food cart outside the store (which I assume is their "on premises food source") must remain open as long as they are serving alcohol. So its tacos on demand!

What I dont see in the OLCC documentation is anything about drinking water. But hey, beer is mostly water, so I think they have us covered 😄

Preventing people from furnishing alcohol to minors was one reason we were given in my DPSST course, the other was to prevent people from taking alcohol out for themselves.

You’re allowed to drink in a bar, not your car or out in public, and there are indeed people who would pour a couple of shots into a water bottle and then leave the bar... Because people are dumb and alcohol makes dumb people even dumber.

These laws also have to be written in a uniform way and applied equally to everyone. Every rule that Guardian Games has to comply with also applies to McMennamin’s, Red Robin, the Kit Kat Club, and the VFW Hall. A rule that makes a lot of sense in one venue might seem counterproductive or flat-out nonsensical in another. There’s a whole big section on “minor entertainers,” for example, that is meant to cover 17-20 year old strippers, but it’s also going to have to be applied to the 19 year old drummer in the bar band, because that’s how the law works.

Bottomline, for people patronizing these places and not running them, is just comply with the posted rules or anything you’re asked to do by the staff. The OLCC comes down hard on any violations they catch and it came mean financial ruin for a small business.

Wargaming is an expensive hobby to begin with, we should all be able to set aside $10 to buy bottled water from the store throughout the course of the day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ish said:

Preventing people from furnishing alcohol to minors was one reason we were given in my DPSST course, the other was to prevent people from taking alcohol out for themselves.

You’re allowed to drink in a bar, not your car or out in public, and there are indeed people who would pour a couple of shots into a water bottle and then leave the bar... Because people are dumb and alcohol makes dumb people even dumber.

These laws also have to be written in a uniform way and applied equally to everyone. Every rule that Guardian Games has to comply with also applies to McMennamin’s, Red Robin, the Kit Kat Club, and the VFW Hall. A rule that makes a lot of sense in one venue might seem counterproductive or flat-out nonsensical in another. There’s a whole big section on “minor entertainers,” for example, that is meant to cover 17-20 year old strippers, but it’s also going to have to be applied to the 19 year old drummer in the bar band, because that’s how the law works.

Bottomline, for people patronizing these places and not running them, is just comply with the posted rules or anything you’re asked to do by the staff. The OLCC comes down hard on any violations they catch and it came mean financial ruin for a small business.

Wargaming is an expensive hobby to begin with, we should all be able to set aside $10 to buy bottled water from the store throughout the course of the day.

Good to know! As I mentioned in my rules pack and on a number of my posts, players should be familiar and abide by all store policies during the event. I don't have any reason to anticipate this being an issue. If the budget allows,  I may be able to provide a limited supply of water to the players.

Important to note, there is complementary water available on site (bathroom faucets), and outside beverage containers are allowed,  just not in the 21+ areas.

You can usually find a 24-pack of store brand bottled water at Wal-Mart, Costco, or even 7-11 for under $10... Sometimes under $5! 

If I were organizing an event like this in the warmer months of the year, I’d probably make picking one up a standard part of event prep. Probably not such a big deal In February...

The Guardian Games staff are all pretty on the ball and genuinely helpful people. I’m sure most of the locals coming will know what to do already and any out-of-towners who accidentally bring an outside beverage will get a “Hey, excuse me, but...” rather than a “EXTERMINATE THE HERETIC!” 

16 hours ago, Andrewgeddon said:

Important to note, there is complementary water available on site (bathroom faucets), and outside beverage containers are allowed,  just not in the 21+ areas.

Some of the finest bathroom faucet water in the country I might add!

They also have like 18 beers to choose from (mostly bottled of course), but a handful on tap. Pretty incredible for a game store.

Compiling data for first round pairings, when you submit your army list, please also include your city/state so I can use to keep you from playing your buddies during the first round pairings. If you're new to 9th Age or have no preference, just make a note of "no club" somewhere. Lists are due in 72 hours (and some change) people, and I've only gotten TWO so far! SkavenInAZ has offered to do a pairings episode for March to War, provided I get those rosters in!

Also, if you are using Battlescribe to make your army lists, please double check them against your army book or some other list building program, I have encountered a number of errors from Battlescribe, including wrong points for Ogre Khans and Beast Herds. Army Builder and New Recruit (https://www.newrecruit.eu/) seem to be more accurate at the moment, based on my recent experience. 

If anyone is interested, I'm possibly searching for a "ringer" for March to War in the event that a last minute drop leaves us with an odd number of people. I'm prepared to play if need be, to give us an even number of people, but last year's event was hard enough to play in and admin, that was with only 9 other players, lol.

I have an army you can borrow (Ogres), or you are welcome to bring your own! Drop me a message if you are interested and we can talk!

Just 3 day left until March to War! Excited to see everyone!

Just a quick note, if you are registered with Warscore and it is under a *DIFFERENT* email than the one you submitted your army list with, please let me know!

If you are not registered with Warscore and you want to receive emails with match ups, as well as track your scores, please register at:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, valourunbound said:

Do you remember the dates for that? I could only find the dates for 2018.

It is not in stone yet, but Kenyon said it would be either 7-8 or 14-15 of December.

Kenyon has offered up his place to stay at. Not sure if it would accommodate 5, but its a partial option.

10.5 hour drive

18 hour train ride on Amtrak ($75 each way). 18 HR on a train is a tad much...

Big shout to everyone who helped make March to War possible this year!:

-To Khan for all his help with the packing / transporting / picking out terrain, as well as taking time out of his weekend to let us in and out of the club, and for stopping by to take all the great pictures! (I think I took 3 pictures all weekend, lol)

-To Ben for being the unofficial 2nd TO, for all your help with terrain, behind-the-scenes logistics, all all the prep-work you were willing to do to make this event happen.

-To Steph for running logistics on the pizza, and for transporting it to Guardian!

-To Alex for bringing the extra mats.

-To John G. for taking point on packing up terrain while I was scrambling to get scores in.

-To Guardian for hosting us!

...and to everyone who make the trip and helped make this the biggest 9th Age event in the Northwest! Appreciate all the support, feedback, and patience as I bumbled my way through this event!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2