Tau...

3 minutes ago, Ish said:

A Longstrike-led Spearhead of T'au Sept Hammerheads could (in theory) be absolutely brutal...  

I saw one of the ordo members post that recently. 

I'm not interested, but it looks viable. I just don't really play TAU for the tanks. Not planning to purchase more than the one devilfish that I've already bought (though it can be a skyray or hammerhead). 

17 minutes ago, Ish said:

B-b-but... How can anyone not like tanks!? They are tanks! 

The TAU ones aren't really tanks. They're more "Slow Armored Aircraft." Doesn't do it for me. Longstrike also requires switching factions.

And the mech tactics you'd normally use in a tank army don't really work because they don't really block line of sight very well (because you can see under them....). 

I would like TAU to roll out some real tanks (perhaps while replacing the devilfish/hammerhead/skyray kit). 

Tau tanks suffer from the same problem the Eldar tanks do... They bring a lot of mobility to a table that's just too damn small. If (and hopefully when) we see a proper remake of Epic 40,000 then the Tau and Eldar hovertanks will really be able to strut their stuff. The 6' range of the railgun combined with the 1' Fly move of the Hammerhead is kind of "meh" on a table thats only 6' x 4'... But imagine how much impact it would have on a table that was 30' x 20'!*

Plus, you'd be able to put a Manta on the table without having to sell your car. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

Okay, so the T'au Sept has a Stratagem called "Focused Fire" which adds +1 to wound. It requires first dealing an unsaved wound to the target, but allows all <Sept> units to gain the +1 to wound against that target. This is also the faction that has the one special character (Longstrike who should be able to stack it for +2 to wound).

And so that's why, at GG the other night, all of the TAU players (other than me) were running the T'au Sept (one also had allied TAU of another faction). 

All of the best special characters are Tau sept also IMO

4 minutes ago, Kelharis said:

All of the best special characters are Tau sept also IMO

Well, they are are the sept with most of the special characters.

Farstrike is actually quite amazing. 

My sept has the FW Shas'o R'Myr who is rather lackluster, but not horrible.

There's another Sept in the FW rules that completely lacks any traits, but has the special character Shas'o R'alai, which I actually think has really good rules.

And then Vior'la Sept has Aun'Shi, who is pretty ridiculous, but would be fun to run.

Imperial Fists have one Special Character, Darnath Lysander. He's amazing at what he does, but what he does doesn't really mesh with the rest of the Chapter's traits, stratagems, relics, et cetera. He's a TH/SS Termie Captain dialed up to "11," in a Chapter that leans towards massed Intercessors, Tacticals, and Sternguards. 

Oh well, at least we have a Special Character. Sorry, Iron Hands!

3 minutes ago, Ish said:

They're the Ultramarines of the fish-people. 

No. T'au are more like the Humans of the Imperium of mankind. The septs each represent a homeworld. T'au is the first, the Holy Terra of of Tau, because it is where the TAU EMPIRE started.

14 minutes ago, Kelharis said:

I prefer to think of Ultramarines as the Tau Sept of the people-people. 😁

Po-tay-tau. Po-tau-to.

No. T'au are more like the Humans of the Imperium of mankind. The septs each represent a homeworld. T'au is the first, the Holy Terra of of Tau, because it is where the TAU EMPIRE started.

Does that make them the Adeptus Cust'audes?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ish said:

Imperial Fists have one Special Character, Darnath Lysander. He's amazing at what he does, but what he does doesn't really mesh with the rest of the Chapter's traits, stratagems, relics, et cetera. He's a TH/SS Termie Captain dialed up to "11," in a Chapter that leans towards massed Intercessors, Tacticals, and Sternguards. 

Oh well, at least we have a Special Character. Sorry, Iron Hands!

Lol. Imperial Fists have so many special characters that they had to break them down into Imperial Fists, Crimson Fists, and Black Templars. Most SM chapters only get special charcters for their first founding chapter. 

Our Successor Chapters have more Special Characters than we do! There's three Special Characters for the Black Templars (Helbrecht, Grimaldus, the Emperor's Champion), two for the Crimson Fists (Pedro Kantor, Alessio Cortez*), and only good old Lysander for us!? 

The weird thing is that the Ultramarines have three characters who are super-duper leaders (Gulliman, Calgar, Sicarius), two who are super-duper psykers (Tigurius, Nastase*), one who is a super-duper Terminator (Agemman*), one who is a super-duper marksman (Telion), a super-duper Chaplain (Cassius), and a super-duper tank commander (Chronus). It strikes me that several of those are supposed to be the shtick of other vanilla marine Chapters.  

Give Telion to the Imperial Fists (basic boltgun marksmanship is our gimmick), give Chronus to the Iron Hands (or the "having more tanks than anybody is our only known gimmick" Aurora Chapter), maybe give the White Scars Tigurius (since having super-awesome mongolian space wizards is part of their gimmick), and so forth.

* Okay, so he's been dropped, but still..

• Like 1

Of course, probably the easiest thing to do would be to create a name and page of background blurb for a new version of each of these characters’s game mechanics, but members of the other Chapter/Sept/Klan/Hive-Fleet/Etc.

Longstrike of T’au, Ironeyes of Sa’cea; Sgt. Chronus of the Ultramarines, Lt. Kuijia of the White Scars; Eldrad of Ulthwé, Myfanwy of Biel Tan; and so forth...

58 minutes ago, Ish said:

Give Telion to the Imperial Fists (basic boltgun marksmanship is our gimmick), give Chronus to the Iron Hands (or the "having more tanks than anybody is our only known gimmick" Aurora Chapter), maybe give the White Scars Tigurius (since having super-awesome mongolian space wizards is part of their gimmick), and so forth.

Imperial Fists don't need another special character. Your successors count as part of your chapter for the purposes of counting up special characters. You get to wait until the other founding chapters have enough special characters where their successors are getting special characters, and then, only them, should GW grace you with more special characters. 

And TAU don't really need more special characters. I'd like to get more non-special HQs, especially with the codex cap on BATTLESUIT COMMANDERS being 1 per detachment, having only 2 other non-special character options seems pretty lacking for HQs. Tau are unable to max out the HQ slots on 3x supreme command detachments at 2k (we can get the minimum, but the rule of 3 prevents the maximum)...

A Cadre Fireblade + EMP Grenade strategem is a reliable way to get a wound on a target in preparation for Focused Fire. It costs a CP, but when you *really* need that wound it's worth it. And those other T'au players running T'au sept weren't only doing it for Focused Fire... overwatch on a 5+, rerolling ones if you're clever and a bit lucky with Greater Good markerlights is like a free shooting phase.

Tau have five generic HQs in their Codex and two more from Forge World. The Imperial Guard only have six in their Codex and the five that Forge World adds are locked to specific regiments and are just  minor variations on Codex options (three for Death Korps, two for Elysians).

Vanilla Space Marines have a lot, but mostly because 8th Edition’s design means every armor option is its own data sheet now. It’s still pretty much just Captain, Chaplain, Librarian, Techmarine, and Lieutenant.

Imperial Fists don't need another special character. Your successors count as part of your chapter for the purposes of counting up special characters.

If I can’t use them in my force — and because of keyword restrictions I basically can’t — then I’m not going to count them.

• Like 1

The T'au Sept is so excellent that it is hard for me to really go play another.  However Vior'La is the one I badly wanted to work because its the Sept symbol I chose when it didnt matter and it was just a fluff consideration All my Stealthsuits are paintstakingly adorned with the Vior'la symbol.  

But Aun'Va is just too good and DarkStrider adds an absolute boat load to the T'au forces.  Those two guys rather DEFINE the way the army can work!  

7 hours ago, Ish said:

Tau have five generic HQs in their Codex and two more from Forge World. The Imperial Guard only have six in their Codex and the five that Forge World adds are locked to specific regiments and are just  minor variations on Codex options (three for Death Korps, two for Elysians).

Vanilla Space Marines have a lot, but mostly because 8th Edition’s design means every armor option is its own data sheet now. It’s still pretty much just Captain, Chaplain, Librarian, Techmarine, and Lieutenant.

They do, but Codex TAU adds a limit on how many keyword BATTLESUIT COMMANDERS may be included per detachment (1 per). So Both the FW ones, and 3 of the codex ones, are BATTLESUIT COMMANDERS. And of the special characters, Farsight, Shadowsun, and both of the FW special characters are BATTLESUIT COMMANDERS.

So at 2k, without special characters, I can have 3x Ethereals, 3x Cadre fireblades, and 3x BATTLESUIT COMMANDERS. And that's my cap. And with special characters, the number only goes up for Longstrike, Aun'shi, Aun'va, and Darksider.

Hey, question: I know detachments can't only have IMPERIUM or CHAOS as their keyword in common, can they be a mix of Septs with only TAU EMPIRE in common? Obviously they wouldn't benefit from their Sept Trait.

Like, could I run a Supreme Command Detachment with Longstrike, Aun'shi, Aun'va, Darkstrider and Shas'o R'alai? Dunno how viable it is, just wondering if that sort of thing is even an option to consider.

7 hours ago, Ish said:

I dunno... Between the Sept Tenet and their exclusive “shoot twice” Stratagem, I’d say Vior’la Stealth Battlesuits look pretty tasty.

Two key limitations there. First, shoot twice has to target the closest enemy unit. Second, Stealth Suits can only take one weapon, and of those, it's Burstcannon or 1 in 3 with fusion blaster. 

So any <Sept> Crisis Suits can just take twice the weapons and effectively have the same shooting ability without CP or having to target the nearest unit. 

The ability is more impressive on Strike and Breacher squads that are at very close range, which fits with the title of the stratagem "Hot Blooded."