Tau...

I’m being sarcastic, Pax. Making mockery of the fact that for the last couple years, every “limited release” model has been a Primaris Lieutenant or a Stormcast Eternal. There’s something like a dozen different sculpts for the Primaris Lieutenant now (counting the two in the starter set) the only difference between most of them being the angle at which their elbows are bent.

oprah-free-car.gif

“You get a Primaris Lieutenant! You get a Primaris Lieutenant! Everybody gets a Primaris Lieutenant!”

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Ish said:

I’m being sarcastic, Pax. Making mockery of the fact that for the last couple years, every “limited release” model has been a Primaris Lieutenant or a Stormcast Eternal. There’s something like a dozen different sculpts for the Primaris Lieutenant now (counting the two in the starter set) the only difference between most of them being the angle at which their elbows are bent.

I hadn't noticed. I tend to dismiss anything stormcast or primaris related. Neither are directions I look forward to GW exploring further.

But you are free to enjoy them, of course.

3 hours ago, Kelharis said:

I would LOVE to see a generic stealth suit HQ.

Should already have one of these...Generic Longstrike and Broadside HQ too.  Maybe not the same exact weapon options, but they should already exist. But on that note, SM should have a generic Chronus. And Astra Millitarum should have a Sentinel HQ. GW's made it pretty clear that the logical generic HQ options aren't an option...Honestly, I kinda feel that removing the special characters would be better than trying to get special characters for every type that should logically exist.

As for new things, I'd love to see an Ethereal in a Battlesuit. Maybe not so much a combat mech, more a missionary mech (with "unarmed" martial arts fighting options). 

And then of course, we need voltron, psychic allies, and some sort of tech that allows use to summon good aligned daemons....lol

17 minutes ago, Ish said:

The Kroot Shaper is an Elites-slot unit, if I recall correctly.

Relative to the TAU empire, Kroot are not able to command the TAU, so they won't be HQs for the TAU empire. But I recall that model being an HQ in previous editions, just that he couldn't be one of your required HQ slots in the old FoC. Back in the old Kroot Merc mini-codex, they were HQs and able to lead the army.

For Imperial Fists, it would be like having the commander of your Imperial Fists be a Legion of the Damned model. Sure he might be capable of leading, but your chapter isn't going to send you into the field without an Imperial Fists leader of some sort. 

13 hours ago, paxmiles said:

A bit better:

++ Outrider Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [31 PL, 455pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

T'au Empire Sept Choice: Farsight Enclaves

+ HQ +

Commander in XV8 Crisis Battlesuit [7 PL, 121pts]: 3. A Ghost Walks Among Us, Early warning override, 2x Fusion blaster, Onager gauntlet, Shield generator, Warlord

+ Elites +

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits [14 PL, 158pts]: 4x MV1 Gun Drone
. Crisis Shas'ui: 2x Flamer
. Crisis Shas'ui: 2x Flamer
. Crisis Shas'vre: Drone controller, Plasma rifle

+ Fast Attack +

Tactical Drones [2 PL, 40pts]: 4x MV1 Gun Drone

TX4 Piranhas [4 PL, 68pts]
. TX4 Piranha: 2x MV1 Gun Drone, Fusion blaster

TX4 Piranhas [4 PL, 68pts]
. TX4 Piranha: 2x MV1 Gun Drone, Fusion blaster

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (T'au Empire) [15 PL, 291pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

T'au Empire Sept Choice: Dal'yth Sept

+ HQ +

Commander in XV8 Crisis Battlesuit [7 PL, 132pts]: 4x Missile pod

Ethereal [2 PL, 45pts]: Honour blade

+ Troops +

Strike Team [2 PL, 38pts]
. Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Markerlight, Pulse rifle
. 4x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

++ Total: [46 PL, 746pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Extremely close game vs @Ish 's Imperial Fists.

Game should have been a tie, but then we realized that there was another mission objective on the back of the page....so I *very technically* won because my model locked in melee was in his deploy zone (linebreaker). Both players held their one objective and neither warlord died (and those, plus linebreaker, were the only ways to score this mission).

Not going to do a battlereport, but I like doing a unit by unit review:

For starters, Firesight Enclaves & Dal'yth was a success. Easy to tell them apart visually (Red and Green), and thematically the mobile units were one faction and the campers were another faction, so pretty simple. Imperial Fists denied my cover, so Dal'yth was useless this game, but the Farsight Enclaves re-roll 1s to wound within 6" was useful. Didn't use either Faction specific stratagems or relics.

Crisis Commanders: Running the Farsight version of the Dal'yth Commander was interesting. I had run it (2x fusion, EWO, Shield, Onager) before, and it was basically as before. I am thinking that I want to tweak it if running it as a Farsight commander. Missile Commander kept missing and failing to wound. With 8x BS 2+ shots at S7, was looking at only 3 wounds against T4 per shooting phase for most of the game. I ended up using Master of War: Kauyou on like turn 4 just so I could hit reliably. Markers would have helped greatly. Never used the warlord trait.

Crisis Battlesuit Squad: Second game against opponent with an Auspex Scan and the second time that having drones accompany the unit was hugely useful for that very reason. My Drone "proficiency" is definitely getting better. Weaponry is still iffy on the deep strike unit. I like them, but I only shot them twice all game. Drone controller proved very useful, though drones were iffy (closest target had 2+ armor...).

Piranhas: This was my new models. They hit nothing. One exploded before it got to act, the other exploded after missing once. Both exploded. That said, they really did draw fire. I think if my opponent had ignored them more, they might have one. Then again, the fusion blasters might not have been things they could ignore. Only 2 drones got to disembark, and those 2 were helpful.

Drones: Kinda meh in this game in terms of shooting. Saviour protocols was very useful.

Ethereal: Survived melee with Primaris Marines, but didn't kill any. Protected an objective with the one surviving fire warrior. Useful, but not great. Kept forgetting to use his variable aura. Leadership aura was kinda useful, though the small squads made it iffy.

Strike Squads: Definitely worth their 38pts each unit. Though of 15, only 1 survived. The denial of cover really hurt this unit.

Fast-moving fusion blasters wasn’t something I felt safe ignoring, making the Piranha a priority target. Not sure if this was tactically sound on my part or if I got baited by the “Distraction Carnifex” nature of them...

Probably should have used my Redemptor Dreadnought on your Firewarriors instead. He was loaded for chewing up infantry, not vehicles. Even as lightweight as the Piranhas are, S5/AP-1/D1 only does so much, even by the bucketload.

I think Dal’yth / Farsight is a good combo. The vast majority of the time, you’ll get full advantage of the Dal’yth cover-camping shenanigans since not too many armies have the ability to ignore cover bonuses. After all, Imperial Fists are considered one of the weaker Chapter Tactics, for some reason. (I think people are just scared of painting yellow!)

13 minutes ago, Ish said:

Fast-moving fusion blasters wasn’t something I felt safe ignoring, making the Piranha a priority target. Not sure if this was tactically sound on my part or if I got baited by the “Distraction Carnifex” nature of them...

Probably should have used my Redemptor Dreadnought on your Firewarriors instead. He was loaded for chewing up infantry, not vehicles. Even as lightweight as the Piranhas are, S5/AP-1/D1 only does so much, even by the bucketload.

I think Dal’yth / Farsight is a good combo. The vast majority of the time, you’ll get full advantage of the Dal’yth cover-camping shenanigans since not too many armies have the ability to ignore cover bonuses. After all, Imperial Fists are considered one of the weaker Chapter Tactics, for some reason. (I think people are just scared of painting yellow!)

Painting yellow is the best reason to not play imperial fists.

Regarding the Piranhas, yeah, no clue if you got baited or not, I've never used them before. And I think you rolled pretty badly against them.

8 hours ago, SPaceORK said:

He didnt hulk smash them? That seems like a good way to deal with a piranha.

And that's why I didn't put it in melee range. I did have to advance to get it to the upper levels of a ruin and still be in a position to shoot down. Missed of course, but it being a closer model really saved my warlord that turn.

Skipped the Wednesday League at GG to paint models. Nothing new is done, but they are getting closer.

Been dedicating (with paint) various units between my now two factions. Piranhas, Devilfish/skyray/hammerhead, 3x Crisis Suits, and both Sunshark Bombers are now red Farsight Enclaves models. Gunrigs and 1x Crisis Suit HQ are green Dal'yth models. Others are still unpainted.

@Lord HanaurWhich loadout for Fire Warriors do you think would make the most sense for Farsight Enclaves Troops? I'm thinking 2x bare units of 5 in a Devilfish, but am open to suggestions. I was originally thinking breachers, but given that Farsight Enclaves have only the Cadre Fireblade for non-battlesuit HQ options, I'm thinking that a Strike Squad might actually be more practical so they can take advantage of his aura.

3 hours ago, paxmiles said:

Skipped the Wednesday League at GG to paint models. Nothing new is done, but they are getting closer.

Been dedicating (with paint) various units between my now two factions. Piranhas, Devilfish/skyray/hammerhead, 3x Crisis Suits, and both Sunshark Bombers are now red Farsight Enclaves models. Gunrigs and 1x Crisis Suit HQ are green Dal'yth models. Others are still unpainted.

@Lord HanaurWhich loadout for Fire Warriors do you think would make the most sense for Farsight Enclaves Troops? I'm thinking 2x bare units of 5 in a Devilfish, but am open to suggestions. I was originally thinking breachers, but given that Farsight Enclaves have only the Cadre Fireblade for non-battlesuit HQ options, I'm thinking that a Strike Squad might actually be more practical so they can take advantage of his aura.

Yeah a Cadre FireBlade +2 squads would do work.  30 STR 5 shots is a lot no matter who/what you are.  My one reservation always IS THAT when you play Fish of Fury (my generic throwback name for these kinds of setups), you kind of want two Devilfish's when you can get them because from a tactical standpoint you want to protect the FW from reprisals and especially melee ones.  So having two which form a "V" firing reticle for the Warriors behind which they won't get assaulted and only limited shots can see them is a good plan.  That means you end up with 23 Firewarriors plus the Fireblade and 69 shots is a good time.  54 hits, 36 wounds against T4. Kills 12 Marines (or 6 Primaris, however you want to look at that).  It's pretty good and reproducible if the Devilfish's can hold their ground for a round, and possibly even if they cant since a Devilfish is decent in the toughness category.

One Devilfish means carefully angling it so that less stuff can see the fire warriors.  A firing reticle works the best.  Food for thought.

10 hours ago, paxmiles said:

@Lord HanaurI was more asking about Pulse rifles vs blasters vs carbines.

Well the blasters were tailor made for devilfish assaults.  Carbines are second on that list, especially using the range sept.  But I have to punt because sometimes you end up clubbing something like a seal but are caught by your battle plan too far from anything the next turn which happened to me at tge last event i went to.  So the most VERSATILE is the pulse rifle but devilfish's are tailor made to go w blasters.  In context of where you will drploy it really makes the decision for you.

8 hours ago, Lord Hanaur said:

Well the blasters were tailor made for devilfish assaults.  Carbines are second on that list, especially using the range sept.  But I have to punt because sometimes you end up clubbing something like a seal but are caught by your battle plan too far from anything the next turn which happened to me at tge last event i went to.  So the most VERSATILE is the pulse rifle but devilfish's are tailor made to go w blasters.  In context of where you will drploy it really makes the decision for you.

Sorry, I'm not asking my questions very well.

Question is specific to Fire Warriors (Strikes or breachers) that are embarked in a devilfish, are part of the FARSIGHT ENCLAVES, and have a Cadre Fireblade in tow. 

The trick to the question is that the Cadre Fireblade doesn't boost Blasters with the volley fire ability, just Carbines, Pistols, and Rifles. So I have 2 shots with pistols (at 6"), 2 shots with blasters (5", 10", or 15"), 3 shots with carbines (at 9"), 3 shots with rifles (at 15"). With moving added in, pistols and rifles can move 6" prior to shooting (9" with disembark). Blasters and Carbines are assault weapons, so there could be a 7-12" move prior to shooting (10-15" with disembark).

The other trick here is that FARSIGHT ENCLAVES re-roll 1s to wound within 6". So ideally, I'll be within 6" when I shoot.