Tau...

Seeing the burst cannons actually being better against the GUO and then our talk about 3++ knights makes think about burst cannon suits. 

If I go 3x burst cannon per suit, I can get 27 burst cannons in one unit (9). That's 459pts (without drones). The unit, even with all the mentioned support, won't slay knights. That said, it does still damage them and I could finish them off with accompanied drones.

I worked out the mathhammer, with 27 burst cannons on 9 suits and the bonuses as before, I deal 19.44 damage to a Knight Titan. Then with the 18x Accompanying Gundrones, I deal 6.22 more damage to the knight, and kill it.

Granted, this plan uses like 800pts to slay 400pts, but it's a start. I did account for a drone controller being "somewhere" and didn't apply the re-rolling of wounds for drones.

Interesting to think about.

5 hours ago, SPaceORK said:

Demons also have a strat for +1 invuln...

I'm aware. GUO also has a bunch of psychic powers and warlord traits which would affect this. 

The numbers are still interesting.

7 hours ago, paxmiles said:

Also means that knights are likely stronger warhounds...

A Warhound Titan is rockin’ a T 9, W 35, Sv 3+, with a 4++ that works against Mortal Wounds; A Knight Titan has a “mere” T 8, W 24, Sv 3+, with a 5++.

The Warhound lacks the Knights’ option for mêlée weaponry, just having its titanic stompy feet, since it is a dedicated shooting platform. But considering that it’s “weakest” gun is a Heavy 20 6/-3/2 profile and it can shoot even at enemies with 1” of it (and walk out of combat whenever it wants) it’s not exactly defenseless.

2 minutes ago, Ish said:

A Warhound Titan is rockin’ a T 9, W 35, Sv 3+, with a 4++ that works against Mortal Wounds; A Knight Titan has a “mere” T 8, W 24, Sv 3+, with a 5++.

The Warhound lacks the Knights’ option for mêlée weaponry, just having its titanic stompy feet, since it is a dedicated shooting platform. But considering that it’s “weakest” gun is a Heavy 20 6/-3/2 profile and it can shoot even at enemies with 1” of it (and walk out of combat whenever it wants) it’s not exactly defenseless.

But the warhound has no stratagems and can't deny invulnerable saves. It also no relics or warlord trait options. The Warhound also has a degrading save, while the knights do not.  

Plus the Warhound would only have those base 3 CP at 2k.

8 minutes ago, Ish said:

RGM-79[G] GM Sniper? Excellent choice, one of my favorite Federation suits...

Thanks. Plan is to steal his arms and that cool external power source, and then combine the rifle with my Pulse Driver. Definitely think this model fits my Dal'yth Sept the best. And the entire kit was cheaper than buying arms from that 3d printing shop...though it still took about a month to ship.

For tonight's escalation league:

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (T'au Empire) [43 PL, 8CP, 660pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Battle-forged CP [3CP]

Detachment CP [5CP]

T'au Empire Sept Choice: Farsight Enclaves

+ HQ +

Cadre Fireblade [2 PL, 42pts]: Markerlight

Commander in XV8 Crisis Battlesuit [7 PL, 121pts]: Early warning override, 2x Fusion blaster, Hero of the Enclaves (Farsight Enclaves), Onager gauntlet, Shield generator, Warlord

+ Troops +

Breacher Team [2 PL, 35pts]
. 4x Fire Warrior
. Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Pulse blaster

Breacher Team [2 PL, 35pts]
. 4x Fire Warrior
. Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Pulse blaster

Strike Team [2 PL, 35pts]
. Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Pulse rifle
. 4x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

+ Elites +

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits [14 PL, 148pts]: 3x MV1 Gun Drone
. Crisis Shas'ui: 2x Flamer
. Crisis Shas'ui: 2x Flamer
. Crisis Shas'vre: Drone controller, Plasma rifle

+ Fast Attack +

TX4 Piranhas [4 PL, 68pts]
. TX4 Piranha: 2x MV1 Gun Drone, Fusion blaster

TX4 Piranhas [4 PL, 68pts]
. TX4 Piranha: 2x MV1 Gun Drone, Fusion blaster

+ Dedicated Transport +

TY7 Devilfish [6 PL, 108pts]: 2x Smart missile system, Burst cannon

++ Super-Heavy Auxiliary Detachment (T'au Empire) [20 PL, 337pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Detachment CP

T'au Empire Sept Choice: T'au Sept

+ Lord of War +

KV128 Stormsurge [20 PL, 337pts]: 2x Flamer, Cluster rocket system, 4x Destroyer missile, Pulse driver cannon, 2x Smart missile system

++ Total: [63 PL, 8CP, 997pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Got an escalation game against @Travis or perhaps @Travis Baker I'm not sure which, but they said they lack a PC at present. Opponent was Armegedon astra millitarum with lots of leman russ tanks and infantry embarked in chimeras.

Game took a while, but ultimately only lasted 2 turns before opponent had to leave for unrelated reasons. He conceded, granting me a victory. I feel I probably would have won eventually.

Game-wise, it was pretty even, except the dice were rolling terrible for my opponent and amazing for me. He said this is a common issue for him. For example, tank commander with punishisher turret shot all it's weapons (including the turret twice) at a TAU piranha and failed to damage it (it was in cover, but still).

I hate the cluster missile launchers. I tried converting them to make them look better, but they still look bad. Need to find an alternate, preferably one that comes with a kit that I was going to buy anyway.... 

Hmm...I suppose I could just stack up a bunch of missile pods.

1 hour ago, paxmiles said:

I hate the cluster missile launchers. I tried converting them to make them look better, but they still look bad. Need to find an alternate, preferably one that comes with a kit that I was going to buy anyway.... 

Hmm...I suppose I could just stack up a bunch of missile pods.

the ones from Valkyries are pretty cool.

Been thinking about the Piranhas more. Every game, so far, that I fielded them, they get focus fired turn 1. There's lots of reasons to focus on them: they have the most speed, they are probably the easiest kill, their weapons are better the closer they get (fusion blasters), and the drones don't disembark if they get destroyed (though they don't award extra kills since they are considered weapons of the vehicle rather than embarked passengers). 

Because they are such a great turn 1 target, they draw fire away from the rest of the army. In this respect, they are a great unit. I think they draw more fire than they are worth, and they sometimes survive it.

Considering giving them seeker missiles too. Would make them an even more desireable target and give me a little more flexibility in deployment. Plus if they survive, they could really hammer a single target.

Thoughts?

That’s pretty much how Space Marine Land Speeders (excepting the Typhoon) are used 99.99% of the time. 

They have the speed to get pretty much whereever they want and the multi-melta (or two) that they carry is a significant threat... They’re also fragile and most players know that have a very good chance of fragging one if they throw enough shots at it.

Too potent to ignore, fragile enough to kill, but not quite so easy to kill that you can only do it with small arms. That’s the perfect recipe for a DISTRACTION CARNIFEX!

8 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

Been thinking about the Piranhas more. Every game, so far, that I fielded them, they get focus fired turn 1. There's lots of reasons to focus on them: they have the most speed, they are probably the easiest kill, their weapons are better the closer they get (fusion blasters), and the drones don't disembark if they get destroyed (though they don't award extra kills since they are considered weapons of the vehicle rather than embarked passengers). 

Because they are such a great turn 1 target, they draw fire away from the rest of the army. In this respect, they are a great unit. I think they draw more fire than they are worth, and they sometimes survive it.

Considering giving them seeker missiles too. Would make them an even more desireable target and give me a little more flexibility in deployment. Plus if they survive, they could really hammer a single target.

Thoughts?

So I do not own any Piranhas, so I cannot give specific advice or thoughts on them.  What I can tell you is I run a Ghostkeel that I infiltrate near my stealth suits.  It has drawn the most fire from opponents at the start of my matches.  Which is pretty much the best thing for me, since any shooting beyond 6 inches means they are at -2 to hit the thing. It's been an amazing distraction Carnifex that never seems to die.

• Like 1

Also...

2 Piranhas with Fusion and 2 seekers each = 156 points.

Ghostkeel with Fusion Collider, 2x Flamers, ATS and shield generator = 158 points

Not sure which would be better point usage (I'm guessing Ghostkeel though) , but found that to be an interesting comparison.

Ghostkeel moves 12" at top profile, Piranha 16" and GK can infiltrate, so I don't think you lose anything in movement range.  Piranha get 2 more wounds total, but at -1 T.  3+4++ for GK vs 4+ for the Piranhas.

GK can benefit from savior protocols.

30 minutes ago, Kelharis said:

Also...

2 Piranhas with Fusion and 2 seekers each = 156 points.

Ghostkeel with Fusion Collider, 2x Flamers, ATS and shield generator = 158 points

Not sure which would be better point usage (I'm guessing Ghostkeel though) , but found that to be an interesting comparison.

Ghostkeel moves 12" at top profile, Piranha 16" and GK can infiltrate, so I don't think you lose anything in movement range.  Piranha get 2 more wounds total, but at -1 T.  3+4++ for GK vs 4+ for the Piranhas.

GK can benefit from savior protocols.

Well, if you put both the Piranhas in one squad, they are definitely a waste. As two squads of 1 piranha each, they have merit. Regarding ITC, Piranhas at the 1-man level are PL4, while the Ghostkeel is PL 10. Also fast slots vs elites. Dunno how much any of it matters, but they are considerations.

Never run the Ghostkeel, but I've fought against them and wasn't impressed. But I'll grant you that most of the TAU opponents I've played in this edition were rather timid with their TAU, so I'm not sure if it was a matter of the players or the unit. Though I also don't think the piranha's are particully impressive, but they seem to impress my opponents. 

I will note regarding Ghostkeel speed, their main weapon is a heavy weapon, so while they can be speedy, especially with target lock or marker support, they aren't always very speedy. But the same could be said of Seeker missiles mounted to the Piranhas.