Tau...

23 minutes ago, Ish said:

You can’t really copyright generic laser guns... 

Generic, huh? See this one: http://www.reddogminis.com/catalog/item/9021373/10395859.htm And it wouldn't really be a big thing, but the GW mini is shown in the product page. It's one thing to sell generic railgun looking things that will probably mount on to alien exo armor, but this is not that. He's definitely using the GW brand and marketing to sell his own product in their image.

And chapterhouse wasn't really do anything more than that, either. They'd make models of things GW had described, but not produced kits for. They made shoulderpads for the chapters not represented by actual GW models. And alternate bits for existing kits. The point that got them sued is that they were marketing them as attachments for GW products. It's one thing to sell shoulder pads for generic sci-fi models, it's another to use the GW brand in order to promote your own product.

All that said, I think copyright is crap. 

Games Workshop Limited v. Chapterhouse Studios LLC was a very complicated case. I was still working as a paralegal in a contract law firm when it was going through the courts, so I followed it pretty closely. I won't claim to be an expert in the field of intellectual property law, I'm not a lawyer of any kind... But, having read the final memorandum opinion and order the TL;DR summary of the whole thing is that both sides lost in part and both sides won in part.

GW brought something like 300 specific claims of infringement against Chapterhouse, but only actually "won" on roughly a third of their claims. In the end, Chapterhouse had to stop using specific names, words, and phrases that Games Workshop had trademarked. But Chapterhouse could continue to use GW's trademarks when selling compatible parts. This is what prompted the Great Renaming, terms like "imperial guard" are too vague to be trademarked in most jurisdictions whereas "Astra Militarum" is unique enough to slap a trademark on. Also, the ruling held that there was no infringement for the use of the underlying shape and size of a GW product to manufacture some third-party thing that got attached to it: hence the booming third-party shoulder pad industry isn't going away. 

Red Dog Miniatures is a bit more direct in their advertising by showing actual GW models with their bits attached, but as long as Red Dog includes disclaimer text saying that the model isn't theirs and all the boiler plate that acknowledges GW's IP rights, they should be Okay. (But I remind you I am not a lawyer.)

All that said, I think copyright is crap.

You'd probably feel differently if you were an author relying on royalty checks to pay for your kid's braces or a musician trying to pay your rent with album sales... Don't get me wrong, their are certain parts of intellectual property law that need revision (Damn you Walt Disney!) but the concept of copyright in and of itself is very necessary. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ish said:

You'd probably feel differently if you were an author relying on royalty checks to pay for your kid's braces or a musician trying to pay your rent with album sales... Don't get me wrong, their are certain parts of intellectual property law that need revision (Damn you Walt Disney!) but the concept of copyright in and of itself is very necessary. 

I probably wouldn't, but I'm rather self-loathing like that. I'd cash the checks, but I'd feel [big bad swear word]ty for doing it. I often comtemplate how me choosing life negatively impacts others. Though the choice of death would also negatively impact others. Some days I put serious thought into just rolling up a new character, .

Anyway, back to TAU.

Well...  okay then!

T'au are the bestest, since we're talking about them.  I will have to do serious thinking when Chapter Approved comes out but I suspect the only thing that will happen to my list with points saved will just be the addition of some more Sniper Drones.  I own 3 that I don't use but would like to.  The ghostkeel cost changed, I noticed, which will help me.

Okay, so without CA update, was looking at this

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (T'au Empire) [68 PL, 1373pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

T'au Empire Sept Choice: T'au Sept

+ HQ +

Cadre Fireblade [3 PL, 52pts]: Markerlight, MV7 Marker Drone

Ethereal [4 PL, 60pts]: Honour blade, Hover drone, MV7 Marker Drone

+ Troops +

Breacher Team [2 PL, 35pts]
. 4x Fire Warrior
. Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Pulse blaster

. 4x Fire Warrior

Strike Team [5 PL, 115pts]: MV36 Guardian Drone, MV7 Marker Drone
. DS8 Tactical Support Turret w/ Missile pod: Missile pod
. Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Markerlight, Pulse rifle
. 9x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

+ Elites +

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits [13 PL, 303pts]: MV7 Marker Drone
. Crisis Shas'ui: Flamer, 2x Missile pod
. Crisis Shas'vre: Drone controller, 2x Missile pod

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits [13 PL, 303pts]: MV7 Marker Drone

+ Fast Attack +

Pathfinder Team [4 PL, 48pts]: MV31 Pulse Accelerator Drone
. 4x Pathfinder: 4x Markerlight
. Pathfinder Shas'ui: Markerlight

+ Flyer +

AX39 Sun Shark Bomber [9 PL, 181pts]: Markerlight, 2x Missile pod, 2x MV17 Interceptor Drone, 2x Seeker missile

AX39 Sun Shark Bomber [9 PL, 181pts]: Markerlight, 2x Missile pod, 2x MV17 Interceptor Drone, 2x Seeker missile

++ Fortification Network (T'au Empire) [6 PL, 120pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

+ Fortification +

Tidewall Gunrig [6 PL, 120pts]: Supremacy railgun

++ Total: [74 PL, 1493pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Using my math and CA leaks to edit point values:

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (T'au Empire) [68 PL, 1118pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

+ HQ +

Cadre Fireblade [3 PL, 52pts]: Markerlight, MV7 Marker Drone

+ Troops +

. 4x Fire Warrior

. 4x Fire Warrior

Strike Team [5 PL, 106pts]: MV36 Guardian Drone, MV7 Marker Drone
. DS8 Tactical Support Turret w/ Missile pod: Missile pod
. Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Markerlight, Pulse rifle
. 9x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

+ Elites +

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits [13 PL, 198pts]: MV7 Marker Drone

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits [13 PL, 198pts]: MV7 Marker Drone

+ Fast Attack +

Pathfinder Team [4 PL, 48pts]: MV31 Pulse Accelerator Drone
. 4x Pathfinder: 4x Markerlight
. Pathfinder Shas'ui: Markerlight

+ Flyer +

AX39 Sun Shark Bomber [9 PL, 163pts]: Markerlight, 2x Missile pod, 2x MV17 Interceptor Drone, 2x Seeker missile

AX39 Sun Shark Bomber [9 PL, 163pts]: Markerlight, 2x Missile pod, 2x MV17 Interceptor Drone, 2x Seeker missile

++ Fortification Network (T'au Empire) [6 PL, 120pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

+ Fortification +

Tidewall Gunrig [6 PL, 120pts]: Supremacy railgun

++ Total: [74 PL, 1238pts] ++

If my math is right, list went down by about 250pts...

Most of the models arrived today. Got Strike/breachers, 2x ethereals, 6x suits, a bunch of drones, and 2x bombers. Having not seen the updated kits, was pleasently surprised to see that crisis suits got an updated kit, they now come on 50mm bases. I did know about the updated firewarriors, but nice to see them in person. Also enjoying my Ethereals on Tzeentch disc (hover drones, though there is certainly temptation to mix these with tzeentch heralds).

EDIT: No time to mess with them. Gotta go. Always this way...Tonight I have models to enjoy!

22 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

How does Sa'cea benefit small units?

With Sa’cea, you can re-roll a single failed hit roll for each sept unit, like the Salamander’s Chapter Tactic. This benefits MSU to a greater degree than larger units: one ten-man squad can re-roll one missed shot, but two five-man squads can re-roll two missed shots. 

This strikes me as wonderfully useful when “markerlight fishing.”

17 minutes ago, Ish said:

With Sa’cea, you can re-roll a single failed hit roll for each sept unit, like the Salamander’s Chapter Tactic. This benefits MSU to a greater degree than larger units: one ten-man squad can re-roll one missed shot, but two five-man squads can re-roll two missed shots. 

This strikes me as wonderfully useful when “markerlight fishing.”

That one.

Maybe it is in the faq, but hi it doesn't seem clear if its one reroll per unit per phase, or just one unit reroll per phase. Or just once.

I feel like they left out a line that similar rules would have clarified.

Though regarding the small units, that was just a cash saver. One strike team box becomes two in smaller squads. Pathfinders come in a box of 5.

No greater meaning in squad size.

I'll think on that Sept info. Might change, as you suggested.

I picked up the Gunrig. Great model. And it seems that my goal of a "short" army was spot on with both the Sunshark Bombers and the Gunrig. 

Regarding the modeling of the Sunshark, I do have a temptation to model the Pulse Bomb as WWII-like bombs. On that note, I've been joking for a while that TAU should be painted up as Japanese, with the Rising Sun for a logo and Voltron/Gundam painted Crisis Suits, and so forth - Still on the fence about that one. Thought? 

Though on that note, ever noticed how the Sunshark kinda looks like the Robots in flight mode from Castle in the sky: http://laputa.ranmajen.net/collections/flying_robot2.jpg 

2 hours ago, paxmiles said:

I've been joking for a while that TAU should be painted up as Japanese, with the Rising Sun for a logo and Voltron/Gundam painted Crisis Suits, and so forth - Still on the fence about that one. Thought? 

“Victory is the greatest tribute we can pay those who sacrifice their lives for us! Rise, our people, Rise! Take your sorrow, and turn it into anger! Zeon thirsts for the strength of its people! Sieg Zeon!

Zaku green Crisis Suits, with your Warlord’s suit in a distinct shade of pink red? Line infantry in earth tones, but with plenty of bling on the officers? 

Do it. Doooo eeeeet.

8 minutes ago, Ish said:

Really depends on what you want the Commander to do. 

No, I mean the 1 in 3 crisis suit upgrade for the crisis suit squad. Or is that what you meant - what does the 1 in 3 having a 2+ save have to do with the Commander?

1 hour ago, paxmiles said:

Iridium Crisis Suit squad upgrade - is it an auto include, or a situational/contextual upgrade?

So this question again^

Also, is there a guide somewhere that shows all the TAU suit upgrades and has a pictures of each upgrade as per the GW kits? I'm finding that the crisis suit instructions and codex don't include pictures and matching descriptions for all the bits...

33 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

So this question again^

Also, is there a guide somewhere that shows all the TAU suit upgrades and has a pictures of each upgrade as per the GW kits? I'm finding that the crisis suit instructions and codex don't include pictures and matching descriptions for all the bits...

Yeah, they are all just listed as generic support systems in the instructions.  I know on Reddit someone posted a handwritten image that was supposedly drawn by the person who designed the Tau models.  I'll try and track it down for you.