Tau...

57 minutes ago, WestRider said:

My bad. I just went for the first result when searching for "Tau Drone Controller". Shoulda checked further. Turns out it's on the Stealth Suit sprue. That was done before they started numbering the parts, but it's in the corner by the drone, in two parts, the dome and the antenna.

Ah, stealth suits. Thanks. 

24 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

Fire Warrior Pulse Pistols: any use? 

Pretty much just an “oh $#¡+” button for the inevitable mêlée your opponent will do his best to get your Fire Warriors stuck in — since basically everything in the game is better in a fist fight than Tau. 

I’d say that it is almost always better for a Tau unit to fall back out of close combat and let another unit(s) shoot the $#!+ out of the unit(s) that assaulted you, but if you cannot fall back (for instance you’re standing on a crucial Objective) then having pulse pistols on some of your guys to gives them a decent S5 counter-punch. 

I wouldn’t prioritize getting any, but if you find yourself with a 1,995 Point list once you’ve taken all your primary, secondary, and tertiary “must haves” you might as well grab a couple to make things an even 2,000 Points.

They marginally more useful in Kill Team, since you won’t have the raw numbers to rely on, no Crisis Suits to hide behind, and the much smaller table size... and they do look cool. 

1 hour ago, Ish said:

Pretty much just an “oh $#¡+” button for the inevitable mêlée your opponent will do his best to get your Fire Warriors stuck in — since basically everything in the game is better in a fist fight than Tau. 

I’d say that it is almost always better for a Tau unit to fall back out of close combat and let another unit(s) shoot the $#!+ out of the unit(s) that assaulted you, but if you cannot fall back (for instance you’re standing on a crucial Objective) then having pulse pistols on some of your guys to gives them a decent S5 counter-punch. 

I wouldn’t prioritize getting any, but if you find yourself with a 1,995 Point list once you’ve taken all your primary, secondary, and tertiary “must haves” you might as well grab a couple to make things an even 2,000 Points.

They marginally more useful in Kill Team, since you won’t have the raw numbers to rely on, no Crisis Suits to hide behind, and the much smaller table size... and they do look cool. 

Thanks.

I was noting that they clarified that the contents of the building can't shoot out if the building is locked in melee, unless they have weapons that could normally shoot out of melee, despite the building itself being able to shoot out of melee. 

But my present plan isn't to put fire warriors into the buildings, so it's a moot point. 

Debating the idea of Stealth Suits with Shield Generators. Would be 36pts per model (Including burst cannons). Thinking about a unit of 5-6 (about 200pts), though probably no more than 4 actually equipped with the generators (get some other options in there too).

Couple of reasons.

First, is survivability. Their -1 to hit applies in both the melee and shooting phases, so in terms of TAU units likely to survive melee, they certainly make the list. They also have FLY, decent leadership, and a null deploy option. T4 and 2 wounds each. Plus as BATTLESUITS, they can benefit from DRONE saviour protocols.

Second, they're INFANTRY, which the other suits are not, so in missions that require INFANTRY to do things, like relic missions, they're really the only decent unit for that sort of thing. TAU just don't have a lot of options on that front. Them being INFANTRY also makes them eligible to embark in buildings, though no Devilfish access. Building embarking is of mixed value, as their -1 to hit would not apply while embarked.

As for uses of such a unit, basically two main roles. One is tying up enemy monsters. I recall a game where Harlies tied up my bloodthirster for several turns due to their 4++ saves (they did no damage, but sure absorbed it. They would have been much more annoying with a -1 to hit penalty). The other use is missions where having such a unit is needed, like the mentioned relic mission, where only infantry can pick up an obective. 

6 hours ago, paxmiles said:

Debating the idea of Stealth Suits with Shield Generators. Would be 36pts per model (Including burst cannons). Thinking about a unit of 5-6 (about 200pts), though probably no more than 4 actually equipped with the generators (get some other options in there too).

Couple of reasons.

First, is survivability. Their -1 to hit applies in both the melee and shooting phases, so in terms of TAU units likely to survive melee, they certainly make the list. They also have FLY, decent leadership, and a null deploy option. T4 and 2 wounds each. Plus as BATTLESUITS, they can benefit from DRONE saviour protocols.

Second, they're INFANTRY, which the other suits are not, so in missions that require INFANTRY to do things, like relic missions, they're really the only decent unit for that sort of thing. TAU just don't have a lot of options on that front. Them being INFANTRY also makes them eligible to embark in buildings, though no Devilfish access. Building embarking is of mixed value, as their -1 to hit would not apply while embarked.

As for uses of such a unit, basically two main roles. One is tying up enemy monsters. I recall a game where Harlies tied up my bloodthirster for several turns due to their 4++ saves (they did no damage, but sure absorbed it. They would have been much more annoying with a -1 to hit penalty). The other use is missions where having such a unit is needed, like the mentioned relic mission, where only infantry can pick up an obective. 

Matthew uses shields on his and did well

Firewarriors are mostly assembled. Decided to go with 4x units of 5, to maximize Markerlight presence. I had extra markerlight bits from the 2 pathfinders I gave Ion Rifles. Also gave squad leaders pistols. All Squads went with Pulse Rifles. Now with 4 squads, I can branch into a Patrol Detachment as my third detachment (with fortifications being their own).

I know I said I picked a paint scheme, but I'm leaning another direction entirely. I'm really tempted to adopt a WW2 japanese paint scheme, and paint the TAU flesh as if they were human (no conversion, just human painted on). It just sounds so right, though I'm minorly worried about offending people. I asked joydivision about it, he suggested that as long as I don't use the Rising Sun, it should be fine. That's fine with me, espeically as the rising sun would be harder to paint than the current red dot.

And with the Japanese paint scheme, could totally paint the Crisis Suits in Power Ranger/Voltron Colors...

I am thinking my list doesn't have enough AP weapons. Not sure how much I need, as volume fire seems like something TAU have easy access to. Still, should have a few for things like terminators.

I'm thinking about making the Crisis Suits into 1x unit of 5 Suits, and then making the 6th model into a Crisis Commander. 1x units makes better use of the Jump-shoot-jump stratagem. Besides, a unit of 5 would better adopt power ranger/voltron colors. 

As for Crisis Suit Squad loadouts, I'm mostly content with missile pods, though I'm thinking I might want to replace the Flamers with Plasma Rifles just because the list is so light in AP weapons. Plus the Plasma Rifles have closer ranges. Then have the 5th team member armed with dual plasma rifles and that shoot at deep strikers support system. 

Regarding the Commander, I kinda want to take advantage of being able to equip 4 ranged weapons, so I'm thinking 4x fusion blasters and an Iridium Suit. No invulnerable this way.

I need to post some pictures.

Awesome, Battlescribe updated for Chapter Approved:

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (T'au Empire) [62 PL, 1016pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

T'au Empire Sept Choice: Dal'yth Sept

+ HQ +

Cadre Fireblade [2 PL, 42pts]: Markerlight, Warlord

Ethereal [3 PL, 50pts]: Honour blade, Hover drone

Ethereal [3 PL, 50pts]: Honour blade, Hover drone

+ Troops +

Strike Team [2 PL, 54pts]
. DS8 Tactical Support Turret w/ Missile pod: Missile pod
. Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Markerlight, Pulse pistol, Pulse rifle
. 4x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

Strike Team [2 PL, 54pts]
. DS8 Tactical Support Turret w/ Missile pod: Missile pod

Strike Team [2 PL, 39pts]

+ Elites +

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits [24 PL, 305pts]
. Crisis Shas'ui: 2x Missile pod, Plasma rifle
. Crisis Shas'ui: Early warning override, 2x Plasma rifle
. Crisis Shas'vre: Drone controller, 2x Missile pod

+ Fast Attack +

Pathfinder Team [6 PL, 96pts]: MV31 Pulse Accelerator Drone
. 7x Pathfinder: 7x Markerlight
. Pathfinder Shas'ui: Markerlight
. 2x Pathfinder w/ Ion Rifle: 2x Ion rifle

+ Flyer +

AX39 Sun Shark Bomber [9 PL, 163pts]: Markerlight, 2x Missile pod, 2x MV17 Interceptor Drone, 2x Seeker missile

AX39 Sun Shark Bomber [9 PL, 163pts]: Markerlight, 2x Missile pod, 2x MV17 Interceptor Drone, 2x Seeker missile

++ Fortification Network (T'au Empire) [6 PL, 120pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

+ Fortification +

Tidewall Gunrig [6 PL, 120pts]: Supremacy railgun

++ Patrol Detachment (T'au Empire) [9 PL, 193pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

+ HQ +

Commander in XV8 Crisis Battlesuit [7 PL, 154pts]: Dynamic mirror field, 4x Fusion blaster, XV8-02 Crisis Iridium battlesuit

+ Troops +

Strike Team [2 PL, 39pts]

++ Total: [77 PL, 1329pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

List doesn't include drones, save the one pulse accelerator on the pathfinders and the ones that default for the bombers. Still haven't fully decided.

Replace the Red Sun with the Tau Sept icon of choice and I think you’ve got it.

I wouldn’t use a human skin tone, though... Not because of the “problematic” way that some people might react to it, but because I think the slate-blue skin tone of the Tau will look nice against the earth-tones you’ll be using if you use a real world camouflage scheme.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2018 at 10:34 AM, Ish said:

I wouldn’t use a human skin tone, though... Not because of the “problematic” way that some people might react to it, but because I think the slate-blue skin tone of the Tau will look nice against the earth-tones you’ll be using if you use a real world camouflage scheme.

I like the idea of thinking of the TAU as being Japanese anime junkies with an army..., but not a real army per say, more like an SCA army, but for japanese things. Like if a Japanese Kickstarter was the basis of the TAU military. So WW2 japanese mixed in with gundams and voltron. Kroot are basically pokemon, right? Lol.

Anyway, I need to make a few test models with the paint scheme I thinking about before I do a whole army. Presently going for Dark Green on the top, silver on the bottom, and a big red dot (my by big red dot will include the TAU Sept symbol in red) for the vehicles/buildings. Need a test of a human flesh tones model, too, and if I can't get it right, then it really is a moot point. 

Very basic paint scheme test:

WP_20181218_21_08_59_Pro.thumb.jpg.7936eadc2a28b19e66691f519ebefc06.jpg

WP_20181218_21_09_03_Pro.thumb.jpg.169093bb401afbd3d0ab27c4229b77d8.jpg

WP_20181218_21_09_28_Pro.thumb.jpg.189f74210ba4949fe606aa3575a71947.jpg

Crisis Commander:

WP_20181218_21_07_33_Pro.thumb.jpg.597891562a929ae5d68137b7f0547ae7.jpg

WP_20181218_21_07_26_Pro.thumb.jpg.05b44bcc97980ce8a6a1bda6ffb73521.jpg

And 5-man crisis team including 3x with paired missile pods and plasma rifle:

WP_20181218_21_01_41_Pro.thumb.jpg.84a86365d8f7cbd5d77721821e21012b.jpg

1x with early warning override and paired plasma rifles:

WP_20181218_21_01_54_Pro.thumb.jpg.6d35b0896798dfb934a85c4349764b15.jpg

and squad leader with drone controller and paired missile pods:

WP_20181218_21_07_15_Pro.thumb.jpg.e34d4453c5bf2310bd347d66633e0fbd.jpg

Oh, Model was primed black (Duplicolor Sandable Primer), and that is (quickly drybrushed) Vallejo Game Extra Opaque Heavy Green 72.146 and Vallejo Game Color Chainmail Silver 72.053

First time using the Heavy Green or any colors, for that matter, from their Extra Opaque series. Painting was done with the intention of making it easy to paint over if I didn't like how it turned out. 

Reminds me of Dark Angels, but nothing bad about that.

Not that this would a great list, but amusing list idea from fiddling with battlescribe:

++ Air Wing Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [81 PL, 1499pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

+ Flyer +

Tiger Shark Fighter-bomber [21 PL, 391pts]: 2x Burst cannon, 2x Ion cannon, 2x Missile pod, 6x Seeker missile, Transport bay

Tiger Shark Fighter-bomber [21 PL, 391pts]: 2x Burst cannon, 2x Ion cannon, 2x Missile pod, 6x Seeker missile, Transport bay

++ Outrider Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [26 PL, 493pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

+ HQ +

Commander in XV86 Coldstar Battlesuit [8 PL, 133pts]: Drone controller, Dynamic mirror field, 2x Missile pod, Shield generator, Warlord

+ Fast Attack +

Tactical Drones [6 PL, 120pts]: 12x MV7 Marker Drone

++ Total: [107 PL, 1992pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

2 minutes ago, Ish said:

Dal'yth Sept seems like a bad match with Flyers... Bork'an (adding 6" range to Rapid Fire and Heavy weapons) or Sa'cea (re-roll a single failed shooting to hit roll for each unit each turn) seem to be much better for Flyers.

Don't really need an extra 6" for flyer weapons. I mean, they move 20" minimum per turn, range is not really an issue. As for shooting, those TAU Tiger Sharks are BS 2+ and with a single markerlight hit, we re-roll 1s.

Nah, the main foreseeable issue is just dying turn 1 before they get to move or shoot. They FAQed the Dal'yth Sept trait to apply to units that have yet to move, so it should apply to flyers that haven't gotten to move yet.

And then the follow up being the inability to count as livings models for a wipe due to GW screwing over flyers.

Anyway, picked Dal'yth mainly for the relic on the Coldstar.

Also unclear if the Dal'yth Stratagem is eligible for the minimum move 20" models, but if it did work, would be nice to get an extra turn in there.

Well, GW really screwed up their ability to make FW flyers viable to purchase in mass quantity.

I mean, Imperial Knight mantiple vs Tiger Shark Ax-1-0 squadron, who wins? Knights do, not because they are better or worse, but because TAU flyers auto-lose turn 1...