Did you know...? (or Random Wikipedia link thread)

Like the random photo thread, but wikipedia links to things you were surprised to learn. Try to keep your own opinions out of it, so we keep this thread out of Realm of Chaos. Just post wikipedia links and maybe a brief description. Ideally post in the format of "Did you know..."

There were rumors floating around, very briefly, that Her Imperial HighnessPrincess Kako of Akishino (second-eldest grandchild of Emperor Akihito) was dating  then HRH Prince Henry of Wales when she started attending university in London. Given that “Lieutenant Harry Wales” was on the frontlines in Iraq at the time, this rumor was quickly proven false.

OTOH, I am kind of intrigued by the idea of the British Royal Family and Japanese Imperial House becoming linked by marriage. Seems like a fascinating “point of divergence” for an alt-history timeline.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Ottoman Caliphate was abolished and its ruling House of Osman dynasty deposed in 1924.  Dündar Ali Osmanoğlu is the great-grandson of the last Sultan of the Ottoman Empire, Abdul Hamid II.  Dündar Ali Osmanoğlu is the eldest, male-line direct descendant of Abdul Hamid II, which makes him the "heir." Sortt of.

I can talk your ear off about salic law in general or the laws governing the succession of the British crown, but I will admit I know bugger all about the way Islamic law handles dynastic succession... Other than it's quite complicated. But, unless the citizens of the Republic of Turkey were to suddenly rise up and overthrow President Erdoğan and demand the restoration of the old imperial dynasty its pretty much just an academic curiosity about who is or is not the "heir." 

• Thanks 1

Coke makes bees boogie

"But after dabbing low doses of cocaine on the bees' backs before they went out, the researchers observed that when they returned they were more likely to dance for their nest mates, and performed particularly vigorous routines explaining where the food was located."

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2008/dec/23/cocaine-bees-australia-drug-research

Also, worth noting, bees suffer from withdrawls, and as of 2008, they were hoping to use this information to help addicts.

Also, I like bees, not cocaine. I wouldn't want to get between Dr Rockso and Doomrider.

• Haha 1

The researchers then tried giving each bee a dose of Methylenedioxy methamphetamine (MDMA). The bees were still more likely to dance than the control group and the dances were again particularly vigorous... But the music was awful and the outfits they wore we atrocious. 

51e9c01e44c876c8c486fe45bf642ef8.jpg  

• Haha 1

The guy I mentioned in your animal rape thread that was giving the dolphins LSD to teach them english....this is his wife giving "Peter" the dolphin satiafaction. For great science!

Oh, and they did succeed, Peter learned a small number of words, including how to utilize body spin to aid in making sounds he couldn't normally forumlate.

However, the doctor decided he liked the possibilities LSD was presenting, versus continuing to be a cuckold to a dolphin.

• Haha 1

The problem I have with his presentation is what is left unsaid...

Taste in music is a personal opinion.  Whether you like pop or country or classical, nobody is going to fault you for having a personal opinion (well, ok, I will make fun of you for listening to country but still, that's an opinion).  Personally I think there are a lot of people out there who don't listen to pop specifically because we like more complexity to our lyrics.

I know for a fact that a lot of the music I listen to is not compressible at the level of the lyrics.  (Musically it is compressible which is a dichotomy that he spends little time examining, repetitive music with unique lyric...)

The other thing to think about is what the label lazy applies to...  The artist or the listener...  While it may be a lot of work to come up with the right version of catchy to make a top-10 hit, the point of all his data reduction is that repetitive is easy to listen to...  it rarely challenges the listener in any way (lyrically or melodically).  This allows us to ask the question whether or not being in the top 10 (a musician's goal and a financially rewarding one) equates at all to reaching people (also often a musician's goal but not necessarily financially rewarding at all).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, generalripphook said:

Did you know cat pee can seep through every blanket you have and still get your ankle wet? 

I’m reasonably certain, from personal experience, that an old incontinent cat with kidney failure urinates with more water pressure than a fire hose.

I loved that cat, but his last few months were hell on our laundry.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/17/2018 at 1:07 PM, Weav said:

@paxmiles great idea for a thread, I will contribute to it shortly.

Thank you. 

I find something that I want to share, but if I create an entire thread on it, they tend to spiral into debate. And I find myself doing it on other's threads. Don't need a whole thread for all subjects, just a link and a brief description of why they might be interested in learning more for themselves.

I am glad the thread caught on.

• 1 month later...