Orks 2k list building

Dark Trainer

So, I own a sizable Ork force, but looking to be cheap and not buy much more. That said, can you think of a way to make use of these?  I think i can make a 2k list out of this, but fear I would have no good vehicle/monsterous creature solution (other than just a horde). Considering using this to motivate me to get them in gear. Most of these aren't painted, so I can get bits to replace kits as needed. That said, I was thinking of fielding exactly this and maybe add a weird boy to grant da jump. I figured I don't have much mobility. Having the battle wagon, trukk, and da jump made me think that would help. Also I hear grot shield is nice, so maybe 5 more gretchin?

Thoughts? I don't need a leafblower list, but concerned this just might be squishy. Also want to gauge acceptable for OFCC (other than trying to play 100+ models in the 2.5hr time limit).

HQ:

Big Mek

Big Mek

Troops

29 Shoota Boyz + Nob

29 Slugga Boyz + Nob

29 Slugga Boyz + Nob

5 Gretchin

Elites:

2 Burna boyz

15 Nobs (mix of choppas, big choppas, and klaws)

Fast Attack:

6 Defkoptas

6 Warbikers

Heavy:

10 Lootas

Deff Dread

Battle Wagon (new on sprue with roller sprue)

Transport: 

Trukk

• Thanks 1

Clearly, you should try to be the first person to collect a completely canon-accurate Waaagh! Bitespider.

You just need 165 mobs of gretchin, twenty-some artillery pieces, and two score squiggoths, and a dozen gargantuan squiggoths.

runthive-army.jpg

“You're not gonna lose the house, everybody has three mortgages nowadays.” —Dr. Peter Venkman

• Haha 2

++ Patrol Detachment (Orks) [69 PL, 1242pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Clan Kultur: Evil Sunz

+ HQ +

Big Mek (Index) [5 PL, 55pts]: Choppa, Slugga

Weirdboy [3 PL, 62pts]: 2. Warpath

+ Troops +

Boyz [11 PL, 215pts]: 3x Tankbusta Bombs
. Boss Nob: Big Choppa, Slugga
. 29x Ork Boy W/ Slugga & Choppa

. Boss Nob: Big Choppa, Choppa

+ Elites +

Nob with Waaagh! Banner [4 PL, 77pts]: Kustom Shoota

Nobz [14 PL, 163pts]
. Boss Nob: Power Klaw, Slugga
. Nob: Power Klaw, Slugga
. Nob: Choppa, Slugga
. Nob: Choppa, Slugga

+ Fast Attack +

Deff Kopta [5 PL, 120pts]
. DeffKopta: Bigbomm (Index), Twin Big Shoota

Deff Kopta [5 PL, 120pts]

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Orks) [40 PL, 752pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Clan Kultur: Bad Moons

+ HQ +

Big Mek (Index) [5 PL, 55pts]: Choppa, Slugga

Weirdboy [3 PL, 62pts]: 3. Da Jump

+ Troops +

Gretchin [1 PL, 30pts]: 10x Gretchin

+ Heavy Support +

Battlewagon [8 PL, 120pts]

Lootas [8 PL, 170pts]: 10x Loota

Lootas [13 PL, 255pts]: 15x Loota

What you got is a pretty decent core of units. You'll need 15 more lootas, 25 more grots, and 2 weird boys to flush it out.

While it says spearhead and battalion, it should be two battalions. Which will give you 13cp. This will allow you to mob up the lootas, reroll their number of shots, more Dakka strat and double tap strat. This should be more than enough to melt any knight type model. And the grots provide the shielding in case you dont go first.

Hold in reserve a couple squads of boys. Da Jump the third. If you want you can also reserve the coptas. But they have a 22" inch threat range to drop their big bombs on elite infantry, so maybe not.

Hide everything that is an hq in the battle wagon with the nobs so they dont die turn one. Use the nobs as a hammer later if the lootas dont kill something.

39 minutes ago, Frowbakk said:

You could also make a Kommandos unit out of those two Burna Boyz, a Nob and two other boyz.

Consider having a unit of 10 Choppa Boyz to Mob Up woth one of the units of 30 after the 10 Lootas Mob Up with the Larger 15.

Yup. Although you kinda want at least three squads. Nob with pk or bc, 2 burnas, 7 boys with 3 bombs seems to be the best all around unit.

• 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Dark Trainer said:

So I think I cheated.

I had a 29 boy squad that was shot down to about 15 boys when they finally assaulted. Problem, I used the +1 attack from green tide. That rule doesn't mean they were over 20 when deployed, it means over 20 actively on the table, right?

Correct you need over 20 models remaining. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Lyraeus said:

So.... What clan are you looking at and do you want a game? Ork v ork madness sounds fun if we want an entire day to play 

Right now, Evil Sunz is sounding like my go to (to start), that +1 movement and such seems great. I looked at blood axes, maybe later. 

That said, I'm trying to figure out what to bring at 500 points (without being a douche). So far this is what i'm looking at. Thoughts? I started with just a patrol detachment, but realized i have a battalion. Thinking about leaving the extra 5 CP's behind just at this 500pt level and staying patrol detachment. It's legal thought, just wasn't trying to crush souls...

HQ:

• Big Mek (KFF, Big Choppa)
  • Warboss (Warlord:Brutal But Kunnin, Power Klaw:Da Killa Klaw Gubbinz, Kustom Shoota)

Troops:

• 29 Boyz + Boss Nob (3 tankbustas) + (Power Klaw, Slugga)
  • 14 Boyz + Boss Nob (1 tankbusta) + (Power Klaw, Slugga)
  • 10 Gretchin

35 minutes ago, Dark Trainer said:

Right now, Evil Sunz is sounding like my go to (to start), that +1 movement and such seems great. I looked at blood axes, maybe later. 

That said, I'm trying to figure out what to bring at 500 points (without being a douche). So far this is what i'm looking at. Thoughts? I started with just a patrol detachment, but realized i have a battalion. Thinking about leaving the extra 5 CP's behind just at this 500pt level and staying patrol detachment. It's legal thought, just wasn't trying to crush souls...

HQ:

• Big Mek (KFF, Big Choppa)
  • Warboss (Warlord:Brutal But Kunnin, Power Klaw:Da Killa Klaw Gubbinz, Kustom Shoota)

Troops:

• 29 Boyz + Boss Nob (3 tankbustas) + (Power Klaw, Slugga)
  • 14 Boyz + Boss Nob (1 tankbusta) + (Power Klaw, Slugga)
  • 10 Gretchin

You could bring Nobz or Kommandos 

Here is what I am planning on

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Orks) [26 PL, 499pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Clan Kultur: Bad Moons

+ HQ +

Big Mek (Index) [5 PL, 75pts]: Choppa, Kunnin but Brutal, Kustom Force Field, Super Cybork Body, Warlord

Weirdboy [3 PL, 62pts]: 3. Da Jump

+ Troops +

Boyz [11 PL, 194pts]: 2x Tankbusta Bombs
. 26x Ork Boy W/ Shoota

+ Fast Attack +

Deff Kopta [5 PL, 108pts]
. DeffKopta: Bigbomm (Index), Kopta Rokkits
. DeffKopta: Bigbomm (Index), Kopta Rokkits

++ Total: [26 PL, 499pts] ++

Though I am. Questioning some thoughts. 

1 hour ago, Dark Trainer said:

That said, I'm trying to figure out what to bring at 500 points (without being a douche).

Evil Suns definitely have a strong ability, but the 2" a turn isn't THAT exciting.  With da jump and other ways of getting close, it really isn't all that.  Definitely works best on speed freek units in my estimation.  They're unique strat is weak and their warlord trait is what BA get automatically.

Goffs seem to get overlooked across the board, but having dakka dakka dakka in melee as well is pretty snazzy as is the Ard Boyz upgrade (wounding T4 on 3s is great).  

Deffskulls are just useful all around, and their unique strat is situational but burly.

Snakebites have a great unique strat and a useful trait.  Their warlord trait makes them great at running gretchin spam.

Bad Moons have a lordly strat and useful trait.  (more dakka + showin' off on a unit of 25 lootas is crazy), they also have a nice gubbinz

Blood Axes are my personal faves and have been since before they had special rules.  Being able to re-charge is HUGE and the cover at range is a decent bonus.  I LOVE their strat and their gubbinz and their warlord trait.  Not only that but Snikrot seems great. 6 2+ (re-rolling 1s) S6 -1AP D2 attacks is really snazzy.

As to being a douche, at 500 there really isn't a way, you'll find that you're missing something critical at such low points. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, fluger said:

Evil Suns definitely have a strong ability, but the 2" a turn isn't THAT exciting.  With da jump and other ways of getting close, it really isn't all that.  Definitely works best on speed freek units in my estimation.  They're unique strat is weak and their warlord trait is what BA get automatically.

Goffs seem to get overlooked across the board, but having dakka dakka dakka in melee as well is pretty snazzy as is the Ard Boyz upgrade (wounding T4 on 3s is great).  

Deffskulls are just useful all around, and their unique strat is situational but burly.

Snakebites have a great unique strat and a useful trait.  Their warlord trait makes them great at running gretchin spam.

Bad Moons have a lordly strat and useful trait.  (more dakka + showin' off on a unit of 25 lootas is crazy), they also have a nice gubbinz

Blood Axes are my personal faves and have been since before they had special rules.  Being able to re-charge is HUGE and the cover at range is a decent bonus.  I LOVE their strat and their gubbinz and their warlord trait.  Not only that but Snikrot seems great. 6 2+ (re-rolling 1s) S6 -1AP D2 attacks is really snazzy.

As to being a douche, at 500 there really isn't a way, you'll find that you're missing something critical at such low points. 

Da jumping a evil sunz unit or tellyporta in a Bonebreaker that is evil sunz is quite mean. I am doing Speed Freaks Kommandos week 2 so I will be testing that out a bit

29 minutes ago, Lyraeus said:

Da jumping a evil sunz unit or tellyporta in a Bonebreaker that is evil sunz is quite mean. I am doing Speed Freaks Kommandos week 2 so I will be testing that out a bit

Oh, wow. I didn't think about a Da Jump charging on a 8+? That's crazy. With re-roll for ere'we go?

I do agree that blood axe chain charging deeper is good too. Now i have to consider options....used to do that with the old deceiver in 4th edition to brutal effect.

20 minutes ago, Dark Trainer said:

Oh, wow. I didn't think about a Da Jump charging on a 8+? That's crazy. With re-roll for ere'we go?

I do agree that blood axe chain charging deeper is good too. Now i have to consider options....used to do that with the old deceiver in 4th edition to brutal effect.

Bumps it up to like a 67% chance or so I hear. To make it in I mean. Might be more. 

If you had the points you could make a 40 man squad of boyz... 

Oh don't forget a warhead you can Warpath and Da Jump for 1 CP... Likely die in the atrempt but it's doable

I have been watching nearly every YouTube ork battle report I can to learn tricks 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, andy said:

Do share! I've switched over to Orks from my T'au and need all the help I can get 😄

I did the same. What would you like to know? 

I have checked most "optimized" tricks out but am not running them

So far Shoota Boyz are the way to go so a 30 boyz squad with 10 or more of shootas. Do evil sunz and yoy can advance and fire with no penalties and if you have a Warboss or a Wartrike with follow me ladz you can advance and charge

20 minutes ago, andy said:

Mostly, I need help keeping my Strategems and special abilities straight 😉 That, and assault tricks & techniques... never really did much of that with my T'au. 

I am going Evil Suns... looking forward to a fully mechanized Waaagh!

Just limit yourself on the ones you need or want to use

I have another question. I was reading my codex closer and think I did the Big Mek Wrong. In order for a big mek to have a KFF it has to be in mega armor? The standard big mek doesn't say anything about KFF as an option. Battlescribe on the other hand showed it. 

I just want to verify Battlescribe is wrong, or if I misread something. Also the mega armor guy gets KFF, Kustom Mega blasta, and klaw?

6 minutes ago, fluger said:

Its an index option now.  Because the option exists in the index, it remains viable, like a warboss in mega armor.

To echo this @Dark Trainer your index orks like Big Mek with KFF on or off bike, Warboss in mega armor or on warbike, will not have Dakka Dakka Dakka. They will have the current 'ere we go rules because you use the most recent version of that.