2019 Winter Warzone 40K Escalation League Rules

Dark Trainer

2 hours ago, Ish said:

Hear, hear! 

Challenge time! 

13 minutes ago, Dark Trainer said:

Honestly, I don't think i'd be against 2 people who wanted to use PL on a given week, etc. As long as both players were motivated for it, wouldn't hurt anything. I would ask players to arrange that ahead of time with each other.

Are we arranging our own games for the normal games? I am new so I know very few people 

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

So how competitive are people going? I don’t know the 40k group well.

I'm pretty much just taking two of the holiday bundles, a unit of Reivers, and a couple of Inceptors I found in Guardian Games's second hand bin for a cheap price. So while Space Marines are never really a bad army, they're not exactly cut-throat competitive either... Hell, at this point, I don't even have any tanks! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Damien said:

Cool, I am taking blood angels. Probably going into imperial soup. No knight though, so fairly competitive, but not back breaking.

Well... I am not going to be taking a 25 man squad of lootas out the gate or Evil Sunz mass infantry so... Not so competitive. 

I want a challenge, not to get stomped or do the stomping 

18 hours ago, Damien said:

Different people have different definitions on that one.

I know a guy that brought a porphyrion in a 1k list for an escalation league against a newb. He's of the opinion that if he doesn't try to crush you into the ground, he'd be giving you an insultingly easy game. That guy will probably not be attending, but he can be a fun person if you can roll with that

I'm of the opinion that a new player should always win their first game, or at least understand what they could have done differently during the game to have won.

Though I often find myself in stupid rules debates over the nature of ruins ( @Dark Trainer any objection to just using houseruled terrain rules for the league so I can avoid this entirely?). Like a flat benefit of cover if you are in/on/unit is 50% concealed by it.

18 hours ago, Damien said:

Play what you want. A couple people might bring a harder list, however most of the club is usually middle ground and some are pretty soft. We'll be trying to make matchups as best as possible. I don't expect knights honestly, maybe 1 player, but if you aren't matched well against knights ,then we'll match you with who's there.

Don't be focused on the unknown, embrace it. There is also no reward for face melting. That's creates a great environment for the league.

For example I'm not Fielding destroyers and wraiths at 500-750, maybe a couple at 1k, etc. 

• Thanks 1

Yeah, don’t feel like you need to deliberately handicap yourself, but don’t feel like you’re going into a knife-fight either.

It’s a freindly competition. The emphasis is on the friendly bit, but that’s no reason to ignore the competition bit.

Think “checkers with Grandpa” and not “chess with Gary Kasparov.”

12 minutes ago, Lyraeus said:

There are "optimized" builds which is more what I think @Bosco means

Yup. Nothing I plan on playing is likely to have been featured in any net-lists based on competitive builds.

In my case, my space wolves will get a fair amount of plasma weapons and power fists/claws since I've got salamanders for heat/hammers and I wish they were space bears instead of wolves.

2 minutes ago, Bosco said:

Yup. Nothing I plan on playing is likely to have been featured in any net-lists based on competitive builds.

In my case, my space wolves will get a fair amount of plasma weapons and power fists/claws since I've got salamanders for heat/hammers and I wish they were space bears instead of wolves.

Well... If you are playing space puppies... Maybe you need level 8 of 10 😜

I tease. Skill is as vital and this is a great way to learn skill

3 minutes ago, Bosco said:

I've always regretted that I went with Space Wolves instead of going the extra mile to make them Space Bears (or Marines Ursus or something). To the point where I'm actually strongly considering selling off my SW and starting over and doing it properly.