Inquisitorial Forces Escalation Force Thread

Inquisitor66

Six (or five*) Plasma guns shooting from inside a Repressor, or Sisters upgraded to be better in close combat without any options to capitalize on that.

I know which unit I'd take.

*Why five?

Because that way you can have 5 Dominions drive a Repressor forward with their Vanguard 'scout' move with the rear of the tank 11.9" away from another tank the Acolytes start the game inside.

Turn 1 the Acolytes disembark from their tank 3", move 6", and because they end their move within 3" of the Repressor they can embark into it before driving off to get their lovely Plasma guns even closer to a suitable target.

Not so viable at 21 points each, but had they dropped to 15 then the high strength, -3 AP shooting is just what the Doctor (Dr. Inquisition-Storm-Trooper, that is) ordered.

Something I looked into for a 1000 point list coming up Feb 3rd at Mugu in Everett, but with 4 to 8 shots at 84 points, for 1 point more I can pull the disembark-and-re-embark shenanigans with Heavy Bolter Retributors instead.

They need to give them the same mix of weapon options that Black Templars Crusader Squads have: boltguns, bolt pistols and chainswords, or shotguns for the basic Sisters; power weapons as an option along with special-weapons for 1 in 5 Sisters; and the whole panoply of options for the Sister Superior.

Won’t turn them into crazy suicidal berserkers that would infringe on the Sisters Repentia niche or make them the elite single-target killers that Death Cult Assassins are... But would make them a very solid counter-assault asset and/or storm the trenches asset. Bolt pistol, chainsword, and power armor goes a long way.

6 minutes ago, Ish said:

They need to give them the same mix of weapon options that Black Templars Crusader Squads have: boltguns, bolt pistols and chainswords, or shotguns for the basic Sisters; power weapons as an option along with special-weapons for 1 in 5 Sisters; and the whole panoply of options for the Sister Superior.

Won’t turn them into crazy suicidal berserkers that would infringe on the Sisters Repentia niche or make them the elite single-target killers that Death Cult Assassins are... But would make them a very solid counter-assault asset and/or storm the trenches asset. Bolt pistol, chainsword, and power armor goes a long way.

I would actually like to see them take over the Crusader entry. Give them option for Chainsword, Power Maul, Power sword, etc and Storm Shield. Keep their bodyguard rule and extra attack.Make them an elite bodyguard, like, they're supposed to be. Give them heroic intervention as a unit or something. It'd be very cool.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ish said:

That’d be great too. Certainly more in keeping with their fluff concept... If the Spess Mahreens get to have Honor Guard, then the Sororitas should too!

(Maybe combat shields, instead of storm shields?)

Base Gear: BP, Combat Shield, Chainsword or Bayonetted Bolter and BP.

Upgrades: SS, Power Maul, Power Lance, Power Sword, etc.

• Like 3

Game 3:

Deathwatch + Ordo Malleus Vs. Tyranids

Victory for the Deathwatch, though it was a very bloody battle. 3 of the 4 objectives exploded.  At the end 2 marines, a blackstar with 3 wounds, 3 acolytes and the inquisitor were left.  On the Tyranid side was 8-ish gaunts a zoanthrope and a (not sure what its called) HQ Zoanthrope.

26 minutes ago, Inquisitor66 said:

Game 3:

Deathwatch + Ordo Malleus Vs. Tyranids

Victory for the Deathwatch, though it was a very bloody battle. 3 of the 4 objectives exploded.  At the end 2 marines, a blackstar with 3 wounds, 3 acolytes and the inquisitor were left.  On the Tyranid side was 8-ish gaunts a zoanthrope and a (not sure what its called) HQ Zoanthrope.

Neurothrope? Got the reroll to 1's for smite? Considered one of the best HQ's for Nids

Week 4 complete, I got 2 games in

My list was the same as before but traded out the Inquisitor et al for a 5 man squad of Paladins

Game 1 vs. Apathy Ales Blood Angels

The dice gods were not with the blood angels, they failed a 9 inch charge on 3d6(take all) with a re-roll leaving an expensive squad vulnerable to massive shooting.

The massive squad wrecked face and 1 shotted my redemptor dread(a common theme for the day), but could not make the consolidation and were left open to my massive amounts of shooting, victory for the inquisition.

Game 2 vs Dark Trainer's Orcs

Orcs seized the initiative and in a 1-2 punch that almost totally won them the game managed to turn 2 oneshot the redemptor and most of the intercessor squad, thanks to Pax for pointing out some rules I was overlooking.

The Corvo Blackstar gets a gold star for this game as it managed to snipe the Orc warboss by flying next to him and shooting all its anti tank weapons into his face, the orcs had nothing that could touch it.  The paladins managed to hold their own against a seemingly endless supply of boyz, but they would not have survived much longer, game went to the Orcs.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Week 5: 1250 pts

I traded out a few paladins for a Paladin Ancient, an Apothecary and Castellan Crowe.   THis battle was vs. the blood angels.  Despite getting a first turn charge 1 of the paladins managed to live, things quickly began to unravel for the blood angels after that due to a plethora of smites and some shockingly durable terminators.

Props to Apathy Ales for taking out my warlord, and for having terrible luck with my last turns maelstrom objective draw.

Win for the Ordo Militant

Inquisitor66 vs. Apathy

Win: Inquisitor66

Inquisition MVP: the Paladin Paragon for not dying when it counted most and leading the counterattack

• Like 1

On 2/11/2019 at 11:12 PM, paxmiles said:

So if you beat Apathy, are you happy or sad?

I guess it would mean either one?...Since its the imperium lets go with RIGHTEOUS FURY.

Week 6 vs. Armageddon Imperial Guard:

Both armies were built expecting melee focused horde armies..neither was expecting shooty heavily armored and durable...this made it a very fun game.

Despite killing vast swaths of guardsmen every turn more and more of them kept showing up.

Honorable Mention to a nameless guardsmen HERO that managed to slay a Grey Knight Paladin Paragon in terminator armor with his bayonet.

Dishonorable mention goes to the Grey Knight Apothecary who teleported in turn 2, cast a spell and peril'd for 3 damage to himself, then next turn failed to heal himself and lost his turn and then the following turn peril'd of the warp AGAIN killing himself....his name will NOT be recorded in the halls of Titan...his gene seed must have been bugged and will not be recovered.

The guardsmen artillary proved to be highly effective at killing my dudes, with their high rate of fireand good AP.

End result was victory for the Inquisition with the game ending on turn 5.  Good game overall.

• Like 1

Currently this is what I have planned for the 1500 pts.  I want to get that Inquisitor back in there, but I want to wait till I have time to give him a proper paint job first.

++ Patrol Detachment (Imperium - Deathwatch) [59 PL, 986pts] ++

+ HQ +

Primaris Librarian [7 PL, 101pts]: 2) Might of Heroes, 6) Null Zone, Force sword

Primaris Watch Captain [6 PL, 88pts]: Bane Bolts of Eryxia, Bane of Monstrosities, Power sword, Warlord
. Master-crafted auto bolt rifle & bolt pistol: Master-crafted auto bolt rifle

+ Troops +

Intercessors [5 PL, 90pts]: Auxiliary Grenade Launcher
. Intercessor: Stalker Bolt Rifle
. Intercessor Sergeant: Chainsword, Stalker Bolt Rifle

Intercessors [19 PL, 312pts]
. Aggressor
. . Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets/Fragstorm Grenade Launcher: Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets, Fragstorm Grenade Launchers
. Inceptor
. . Two Assault Bolters: 2x Assault bolter
. Inceptor
. Inceptor
. Inceptor
. Intercessor: Auto Bolt Rifle
. Intercessor Sergeant: Auto Bolt Rifle, Chainsword

+ Elites +

Redemptor Dreadnought [10 PL, 163pts]: Heavy flamer, Heavy Onlsaught Gatling Cannon, Icarus Rocket Pod
. 2x Fragstorm Grenade launchers: 2x Fragstorm Grenade Launchers

+ Flyer +

Corvus Blackstar [12 PL, 232pts]: Auspex Array, Hurricane bolter, Twin lascannon
. 2x Stormstrike Missile Launchers: 2x Stormstrike missile launcher

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Grey Knights) [38 PL, -1CP, 513pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Armoury of Titan [-1CP]: 1 Additional Relic

+ HQ +

Castellan Crowe [7 PL, 80pts]: Sanctuary

+ Elites +

Apothecary [5 PL, 75pts]: Gate of Infinity, Nemesis Force Sword

Paladin Ancient [7 PL, 100pts]: Banner of Refining Flame, Gate of Infinity, Storm Bolter and Falchion

Paladin Squad [19 PL, 258pts]: Hammerhand
. 4x Paladin (Sword): 4x Storm Bolter
. Paragon: Nemesis Daemon Hammer, Storm Bolter

++ Total: [97 PL, -1CP, 1499pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

• Like 1

Played the last 2 missions of the league results as follows. I used the same list for both

Week 7 vs orcs

A failed 1st turn charge left the bulk of the orc horde vulnerable to massed bolter fire leading to a victory for the Inquisition.

Week 8 vs Astra militarum

A trio of tanks proved to be too much for the deathwatch.

I did not have enough anti tank in the list to deal with the vehicles, I should have held my paladins back untill turn 2 and charged with everything at once.

Amusingly the primaris librarian killed himself with perils..making it 3 for 3 games where that has happened to me.

I think I will ditch Crowe and the librarian, the librarian is redundant with the grey knights and Crowe is redundant with all of my guns.  Replace them with something else.

Overall fun league, met some cool people and a variety of armies.  I look forward to march 9th.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here is what I am thinking for my Saturday list, it removes some of the chaff and adds in more anti vehicle to the mix

++ Patrol Detachment (Imperium - Deathwatch) [51 PL, 871pts] ++

+ HQ +

Primaris Watch Captain [88pts, 6 PL]: Power sword
. Master-crafted auto bolt rifle & bolt pistol: Master-crafted auto bolt rifle

+ Troops +

Intercessors [18 PL, 304pts]
. Aggressor
. . Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets/Fragstorm Grenade Launcher: Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets, Fragstorm Grenade Launchers
. Aggressor
. Inceptor
. Inceptor
. Inceptor
. Intercessor Sergeant: Auto Bolt Rifle, Chainsword

Intercessors [5 PL, 90pts]
. Intercessor Sergeant: Chainsword, Stalker Bolt Rifle

+ Elites +

Redemptor Dreadnought [157pts, 10 PL]: Heavy flamer, Heavy Onlsaught Gatling Cannon
. 2x Fragstorm Grenade launchers: 2x Fragstorm Grenade Launchers

+ Flyer +

Corvus Blackstar [232pts, 12 PL]: Auspex Array, Hurricane bolter, Twin lascannon
. 2x Stormstrike Missile Launchers: 2x Stormstrike missile launcher

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Grey Knights) [44 PL, 628pts] ++

+ HQ +

Castellan Crowe [7 PL, 80pts]: * No Psychic Power Selected *

+ Elites +

Paladin Squad [258pts, 19 PL]: * No Psychic Power Selected *
. 4x Paladin (Halberd): 4x Storm Bolter

Venerable Dreadnought [145pts, 9 PL]: * No Psychic Power Selected *, Missile launcher, Twin lascannon

Venerable Dreadnought [145pts, 9 PL]: * No Psychic Power Selected *, Missile launcher, Twin lascannon

++ Total: [1499pts, 95 PL] ++

Created with BattleScribe

5 hours ago, Inquisitor66 said:

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Grey Knights) [44 PL, 628pts] ++

+ HQ +

Castellan Crowe [7 PL, 80pts]: * No Psychic Power Selected *

+ Elites +

Paladin Squad [258pts, 19 PL]: * No Psychic Power Selected *
. 4x Paladin (Halberd): 4x Storm Bolter

Seems cripplingly overpriced. Even for GK. 628pts for 8 models with not very impressive defensive profiles.

4 hours ago, paxmiles said:

Seems cripplingly overpriced. Even for GK. 628pts for 8 models with not very impressive defensive profiles.

The dreadnoughts are interesting but since most don't play knights in our meta (don't know about outside forces) they should do decently. The Paladin bomb is being tested by more people these days thanks to the Bolter Drill rule which will be in effect for the tournament so it will be interesting. It's definitely something my orks have problems with... We hate 2+ armor

2 hours ago, Lyraeus said:

The dreadnoughts are interesting but since most don't play knights in our meta (don't know about outside forces) they should do decently. The Paladin bomb is being tested by more people these days thanks to the Bolter Drill rule which will be in effect for the tournament so it will be interesting. It's definitely something my orks have problems with... We hate 2+ armor

You hate 2+ armor SPAM. Your super shock gun will decimate that unit in one shooting phase. They only have a 5++ and 15 wounds on a 248pt unit. Those dreads have no invulnerable and only 8 wounds each (the ven dreads do have a 6+ ignore wounds mechanic). 3 wounds per paladin makes them ideal targets for anti-tank weapons (like lascannons).

They do have psychic powers that can boost them, but they have to be able to cast them before their opponent acts and they are limited to a single casting attempt per turn. So they can boost the paladins to a 4++ or give the dread a 5++, but they can't boost both of them.

I played GK at the start of the edition.

Regarding GK list creation, one of the big challenges is in how cheap their HQs are when compared to their other units and this edition allows you to really spam HQs. In prior editions, the paladins were essentially an HQ squad.

A brother Captain is 112pts and 2x paladins is 98pts. Both groups have 6 wounds total. The captain has a base 4++, better WS, better BS, and the CHARACTER keyword, but suffers by having 1 less storm bolter and 2 less base attacks. Psychically, they are the same. So, basically, the captains live longer, but the paladins are slightly better offensively (well, until you kill one of them). At the 5-man paladin squad level, I'd give serious consideration to just fielding 2x brother captains.

And in terms of models, if your only terminators are brother captains, it won't confuse anyone to use the paladin models as brother captains.

Supreme command detachments are also cheap detachment options for GK.

The main advantage with the paladins is that, as a single unit, you can stack buffs on them (or teleport them as a unit). This also means that the enemy can stack debuffs on them, which is the drawback.