Da Lost Boyz - 40k Escalation League Orks progress

Dark Trainer

34 minutes ago, Dark Trainer said:

Isolated room in the house, vent to eliminate chem vapors, and of course indoors for proper temperature to dry.

You cut off the part where I said it was very practical. And it is. It just cracks me up too.

11 hours ago, paxmiles said:

Very practical, but it cracks me up seeing them on the toilet like that. Very nice.

1 hour ago, Lyraeus said:

So that's how you keep the nurglings at bay

Nurglings may be a sign of severe gastrointestinal distress, if you see Nurglings after visiting the toilet, consult with your Apothecary, Sister Hospitalier, or trained Medicae Professional.

Ask if Exterminatus™️ is right for you.

• Haha 3

What sort of trees? Big, giant Forest-Moon of Endor / Elvish Tree City sorts of trees, or just your garden-variety (pun totally intended) average-sized trees? 

I’ve tried my hand at making average type trees using all sorts of different techniques over the years and, honestly, the amount of time, effort, and materials it takes to get good looking ones just isn’t worth it when you can pick up some Ready Made Woodland Scenics for a couple bucks. Just base them well — using all the normal techniques you do for minis — so they blend into the table. Maybe hit the trucks (if they aren’t evergreens) with some dry brush and/or ink washes to enhance them.

For big Endor style trees, the trick is to just do the trunks, let the mind’s eye fill in the tree tops. A 6’ x 4’ table with six to eight big, massive Endor style tree trunks all about 8” to 12” tall (you want them all uniform height) and various diameters from 3” to 5”, with some smaller “normal” size trees and bushes at ground level looks nice and Endor-y. 

maxresdefault.jpg

Not my table, but an excellent illustration of how you don’t need much more than a some giant trunks and a few regular trees to imply an Endor-sized forest.

Best way to make these is 3” insulation foam, cut into cylinders*, then stacked. Base them on an old CD-ROM, use some carved bits of the off cut foam to make the  roots. Cover the whole thing in air-dry clay or spackle, texture this into something bark-like. Paint, wash, dry brush, and add some moss.

For Elf Tree Village type trees, follow the same basic process as the Endor trees, only you want to make sure the base has some heft to it — three 1” stacks of 1/2” steel washers inside the bottom foam cylinder should do nicely — then build tree. Once the tree is built, get some bamboo skewers or chopsticks. Drill holes into the foam trunk in a circle around the top. Hot glue the skewers into place. Should give you a sort of + or * shape. Take more bamboo skewers or maybe some basla wood, cut to size, hot glue these as struts between the first bits. Continue until you have a platform... it takes a while. Be patient. Paint, wash, dry brush. Congrats, you have a platform... Build you elf huts and the like on top of that.

* I highly recommend a Proxon-like cutting tool.

• Like 2

Just now, Ish said:

Cheater! 😆

Innovater ^_~

I don't have the time or tools for messy terrain building... A 3d printer though... Perfect amount of space and time. 

Mind you that's a warlord adeptus titanicus titan which is about 7" tall or so. The Reaver is about 5.5" and the tiny knight is the size of a terminator. 

20181012_051926(1).jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ish said:

Anyhow, replace everything I said above about making them out of foam, but a half dozen of those “tree-dee printed” trunks and some smaller trees would make a great Endor-like table.

Hahahaha yea. They do look good. They won't let me upload more pictures. I have a nice one with just 4 tall trees and some hills

6 hours ago, Ish said:

What sort of trees? Big, giant Forest-Moon of Endor / Elvish Tree City sorts of trees, or just your garden-variety (pun totally intended) average-sized trees? 

I'm looking for single trees I can put on a circular base (40-50mm) and they would stand on area terrain. The type where you have a terrain plate down on the table, but can lift the tree out of the way when you occupy it. Modular trees. That ready made woodland scenics might be just the things i need? Didn't have many pics of what it included, free standing, etc?

Thinking this (3"-5" trees seem good, and come with base): 

• TR1572 - Mixed Green - 14/pkg - 3 in - 5 in (7.62 cm - 12.7 cm) - $35.99

The Woodland Scenics ones are nominally free standing. Most model railroaders will pin them or glue them to their layouts, for wargaming, you’ll want to base them. Being trees they are kinda top heavy and easily knocked over by a wayward die or unattended elbow.

4ground and several other companies sell nice basing kits. Flock the base to match your table, glue the trees to the removable bases, and you’ve got really nice looking forests that you can still move models around in. (Get yourself some extra “bases” for trees of various scales and these can work for damn near every game.)

1 minute ago, Ish said:

The Woodland Scenics ones are nominally free standing. Most model railroaders will pin them or glue them to their layouts, for wargaming, you’ll want to base them. Being trees they are kinda top heavy and easily knocked over by a wayward die or unattended elbow.

Think the 3"-5" ones are the size to get? https://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/item/RMTVP-MG

• TR1572 - Mixed Green - 14/pkg - 3 in - 5 in (7.62 cm - 12.7 cm) - $35.99

To put it in perspective, consider the size of the ubiquitous Space Marine Rhino (L 4.5" / W 3" / H 2") or a bog standard  Tactical Marine (H 1.4”). So a stand of 3”+ tall trees will be enough to hide a Rhino behind and a stand of 2”+ tall trees will be enough to hide most infantry behind.

I find forest area terrain looks best with 3-5 trees of several different heights and a couple different shades. Makes for a nice visual that “reads” like wild forest. If the trees are all the same color and all uniform height, it will “read” like an agricultural orchard or lumber farm (which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, if you intend to make a farmstead).

A mixed bundle of 3” and 5” trees should be great for general purpose “do anything” wargaming forests. At least in the 25 – 32mm scales. Using them for 6 mm - 15 mm is definitely do-able, but will kinda make it look like your Team Yankee games are taking place in Lothlorien instead of East Germany.

4 minutes ago, Ish said:

To put it in perspective, consider the size of the ubiquitous Space Marine Rhino (L 4.5" / W 3" / H 2") or a bog standard  Tactical Marine (H 1.4”). So a stand of 3”+ tall trees will be enough to hide a Rhino behind and a stand of 2”+ tall trees will be enough to hide most infantry behind.

I find forest area terrain looks best with 3-5 trees of several different heights and a couple different shades. Makes for a nice visual that “reads” like wild forest. If the trees are all the same color and all uniform height, it will “read” like an agricultural orchard or lumber farm (which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, if you intend to make a farmstead).

Ok, 3in to 5in tree pack it is. Thanks!