The Indomitus Bastards (Blood Angels Escalation Thread)

apathy ales

(Smash)Captain Aldo Raine is assembling an elite force of Blood Angels, known as the Indomitus Bastards. 
Their mission is simple, eliminate Xenos and Heretic threats. 

"You probably heard we ain't in the prisoner-takin' business; we in the killin' Orkzies business. And cousin, business is a-boomin'"

With the Blood Angels Chapter as a whole still recovering from the recent Devastation of Baal, Captain Raine has been given clearance to operate with impunity, serving as a distraction while forces on Baal focus on rebuilding.
His force for Week I consists of:

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Blood Angels) [32 PL, 492pts] ++

+ HQ [14 PL, 238pts] +

Captain [6 PL, 124pts]: 5. Gift of Foresight, Jump Pack [1 PL, 19pts], Storm shield [10pts], The Angel's Wing (replaces jump pack), Thunder hammer [21pts], Warlord

Librarian in Terminator Armour [8 PL, 114pts]: Force axe [10pts], Storm bolter [2pts]

+ Troops [18 PL, 254pts] +

Intercessor Squad [10 PL, 119pts]: Bolt rifle, 6x Intercessor [102pts], Intercessor Sergeant [17pts]

Scout Squad [4 PL, 80pts]
. Scout [16pts]: Camo cloak [3pts], Sniper rifle [2pts]
. Scout Sergeant [16pts]: Bolt pistol, Camo cloak [3pts], Sniper rifle [2pts]

Scout Squad [4 PL, 55pts]
. Scout [11pts]: Combat knife
. Scout Sergeant [11pts]: Bolt pistol, Chainsword

++ Total: [32 PL, 492pts] ++
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

See, now all I can picture is Mephiston slowly walking through a tunnel, his force staff making an intimidating thumping noise against the stone... 

"That's Librarian Calistarius Mephiston. You might know him better by his nickname: "The Baal Bear." Now, if you heard of Aldo the Angel, you gotta have heard of the Baal Bear. He bashes their brains in with a baseball bat is what he does. Now, Gortoof, I'm gonna ask you one last throne-damned time, if you still respectfully refuse, I'm callin' the Baal Bear over. He's gonna take that big stick of his, and he's gonna beat your arse to death with it. Now, take your squig-lickin' finger and point out on this map what I want to know."

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SPaceORK said:

"Baal Bear" is the greatest name for a HQ ever.

To bad smash captains are so good cause you could make the captain have a huuuge knife in hand.

I think they FAQed that all models have a Close Combat Wrapon in addition to their profile. Just model him with hammer and shield stowed on his back, then he could hold a big knife as he jumps towards battle.

Captain Raine was pleased with his unit's week 1 victory, but reminds The Bastards that it is not enough.

"When you join my command, you take on debit. A debit you owe me personally. Each and every man under my command owes me one hundred Orkzie scalps. And I want my scalps. And all y’all will git me one hundred Ork scalps, taken from the heads of one hundred dead Orks. Or you will die tryin’."

And die tryin' they might. The Black Rage has begun to take grip on some and The Cursed Chaplain Lemartes has been called in to lead his bretheren into battle.

++ Patrol Detachment (Imperium - Blood Angels) [54 PL, 747pts] ++

+ HQ [13 PL, 224pts] +

Captain [6 PL, 124pts]: Jump Pack [1 PL, 19pts], Storm shield [10pts], Thunder hammer [21pts], Warlord

Lemartes [7 PL, 100pts]

+ Troops [13 PL, 220pts] +

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 85pts]: Bolt rifle, 4x Intercessor [68pts], Intercessor Sergeant [17pts]

. Scout [11pts]: Boltgun
. Scout Sergeant [11pts]: Bolt pistol, Boltgun

+ Elites [18 PL, 168pts] +

Death Company [18 PL, 168pts]: Jump Pack [2 PL, 24pts]
. Death Company Marine [18pts]: Chainsword, Hand flamer [1pts]

+ Fast Attack [10 PL, 135pts] +

Inceptor Squad [10 PL, 135pts]: 2x Inceptor [50pts], Inceptor Sergeant [25pts]
. Two assault bolters [60pts]: 2x Assault bolter [60pts]

++ Total: [54 PL, 747pts] ++

1 hour ago, apathy ales said:

Captain Raine was pleased with his unit's week 1 victory, but reminds The Bastards that it is not enough.

"When you join my command, you take on debit. A debit you owe me personally. Each and every man under my command owes me one hundred Orkzie scalps. And I want my scalps. And all y’all will git me one hundred Ork scalps, taken from the heads of one hundred dead Orks. Or you will die tryin’."

And die tryin' they might. The Black Rage has begun to take grip on some and The Cursed Chaplain Lemartes has been called in to lead his bretheren into battle.

Ya want orkie skalpz eh, well boyz, let's show dem silly beekee's Dat ouz skalpz are toughua den their bladez

2 hours ago, apathy ales said:

++ Patrol Detachment (Imperium - Blood Angels) [54 PL, 747pts] ++

+ HQ [13 PL, 224pts] +

Captain [6 PL, 124pts]: Jump Pack [1 PL, 19pts], Storm shield [10pts], Thunder hammer [21pts], Warlord

Lemartes [7 PL, 100pts]

+ Troops [13 PL, 220pts] +

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 85pts]: Bolt rifle, 4x Intercessor [68pts], Intercessor Sergeant [17pts]

. Scout Sergeant [11pts]: Bolt pistol, Boltgun

+ Elites [18 PL, 168pts] +

Death Company [18 PL, 168pts]: Jump Pack [2 PL, 24pts]

+ Fast Attack [10 PL, 135pts] +

Inceptor Squad [10 PL, 135pts]: 2x Inceptor [50pts], Inceptor Sergeant [25pts]
. Two assault bolters [60pts]: 2x Assault bolter [60pts]

++ Total: [54 PL, 747pts] ++

You definitely have an amazing number of attacks. I will note you have a very slim number of models with any AP (melee or otherwise). Don't know if it will matter, but worth thinking about.

Looks very intimdating. 

Captain Aldo has enough AP to handle anything with seriously heavy armor. That Thunderhammer starts out at a base four attacks at WS 3+ / S8 / AP -3 / D 3. If he decides to go for broke and use the right Relic (Angels Wing) and Warlord Trait (Artisan of War) combo to enhance him, he could end up with four attack (five on the charge) at WS3+ (re-rolling 1s) / S8 (+1 to wound) / AP -3 D 4. 

That's an average of 8.64 wounds on a friggin' Knight Castellan. Heck, if you were to throw him up against Roboute Guilliman, its an average of 4.32 wounds... and that's without springing for the "fight twice" Stratagem. 

8 minutes ago, Ish said:

Captain Aldo has enough AP to handle anything with seriously heavy armor. That Thunderhammer starts out at a base four attacks at WS 3+ / S8 / AP -3 / D 3. If he decides to go for broke and use the right Relic (Angels Wing) and Warlord Trait (Artisan of War) combo to enhance him, he could end up with four attack (five on the charge) at WS3+ (re-rolling 1s) / S8 (+1 to wound) / AP -3 D 4. 

That's an average of 8.64 wounds on a friggin' Knight Castellan. Heck, if you were to throw him up against Roboute Guilliman, its an average of 4.32 wounds... and that's without springing for the "fight twice" Stratagem. 

That's why he is called a smash Captain and GW changes the rules of flying units and charging because of him

24 minutes ago, Ish said:

There is also the 1CP strategum to give him d3 extra attacks. 

So far I've been running him with the warlord trait that has him end up with 5+ fnp, rerolling 1's, but at some point i wanna try the +1 damage weapon as you mention. 

35 minutes ago, Ish said:

Oh, totally looks nasty.

But since he only has the one model with good AP (maybe lemartes too?), he may have to choose between multiple targets that require AP. Unless the opponent is just sitting there, waiting for him to come (like my TAU were last time...), he would have to pick which target is best for him to attack.

Anyway, I don't know that he needs it, just giving him something to think about.

5 minutes ago, apathy ales said:

I hear the imperial fist captain on a bike may start giving him a run for his money.

Iron Hands is the best for this, actually.  

Take an Iron Hands Space Marine Captain on Bike equip him with a Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield, upgrade the shield to The Shield Eternal relic, and give him the Iron Resolve Warlord Trait. Toughness 5, Wounds 7, Save 3+ / Invulnerable 3++ / Feel No Pain 6+++. Plus, the Shield Eternal halve all damage he takes (rounding up) which makes those FNP rolls even better, since you're rolling less of them. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ish said:

And yet, the January issue of White Dwarf features a truly nasty bowl of Soup in their battle report: Mephistopheles, two Smash Captains, The Loyal 32, and triple Knights.

47643A93-A4EA-4DC0-B1D0-9621FDA7B661.jpeg

Sounds like GW doesn't see imperial soup as an issue. <Sigh>

4 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

But since he only has the one model with good AP (maybe lemartes too?), he may have to choose between multiple targets that require AP

Lemartes is packing his special Crozius Arcanum, it's S6 / AP -2 / D 1d3, and he's got five Attacks... with WS2+ and re-rolling misses because Lemartes is a < Death Company > model that is always within 6" of himself. He's not going to crack open a tank by himself, but he's quite capable of killing half a squad of Tactical Marines, solo. Plus, you know he's going to be operating close to those Death Company...  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

Sounds like GW doesn't see imperial soup as an issue. <Sigh> Well, I suppose non-imperial players just should bring extra mean lists...Or maybe start a non-imperium 40k league...

The Eldar list that was on the other end of this Battle Report was equally nasty bowl of soup: Harlequins, Dark Eldar, and Craftworlders. All min/maxed and cherry picked.

1 minute ago, Ish said:

The Eldar list that was on the other end of this Battle Report was equally nasty bowl of soup: Harlequins, Dark Eldar, and Craftworlders. All min/maxed and cherry picked.

Wonderful. And now people will read that and determine that this is how GW thinks we should be playing the game.

34 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

Cause it's not. 

25 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

Wonderful. And now people will read that and determine that this is how GW thinks we should be playing the game.

Or since gw is having more of a hand in competitive play (such as running the twitch stream for the LVO) and white dwarf should cater to all players this is just showing one way to play.

• Like 1

This Battle Report article was specifically pitting a pair of competitive, tourney-focused players against each other. I don’t have the magazine with me, so I can’t tell you there names.

The lists are perfectly legal and just as valid as any fluffy list I could come up with. Ain’t my cuppa tea, but plenty of people do enjoy this sort of thing...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paxmiles said:

They are focusing more on the competitive side and playing to that area of the game. Especially since a vast majority of players are playing tournaments for the fun and challenge. Sportsmanship has become huge

"You know, fightin' in a basement offers a lot of difficulties. Number one being, you're fightin' in a basement!"

Captain Aldo Raine

We had a strategy (deep strike into the base...ment… and destroy it), but deviated from the plan and suffered a significant loss to  @Tamwulf. It's gunna take a week to regroup (I'm out of town this week!), but Captain Raine has some ideas to call up The Baal Bear and some boys in gold for Week 4 (unless I can find a late make up game for Week 3). See ya all net week!

Player 1 - apathy ales
Player 2 - tamwulf
Player 2 won
Player 1- 3 points for painting
Player 2 painting (sorry, not sure)
I definitely had fun and would have a rematch.
  • Like 2

This weeks list (think I figured formatting out!!!). I will be there Sunday, looking to get week 4 in and possibly make up week 3 if anyone's looking.

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Blood Angels) [73 PL, 997pts] ++

+ HQ +

Captain [6 PL, 124pts]: 5. Gift of Foresight, Jump Pack, Storm shield, The Angel's Wing (replaces jump pack), Thunder hammer, Warlord

Chief Librarian Mephiston [8 PL, 160pts]: 1. Quickening, 2. Unleash Rage, 6. Wings of Sanguinus

+ Troops +

. Scout: Camo cloak, Sniper rifle
. Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Camo cloak, Sniper rifle

. Scout: Boltgun
. Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Boltgun

. Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Boltgun

+ Elites +

Death Company [27 PL, 276pts]: Jump Pack
. Death Company Marine: Chainsword, Hand flamer
. Death Company Marine: Thunder hammer

Sanguinary Guard [20 PL, 247pts]: Death mask
. Sanguinary Guard: Angelus boltgun, Encarmine sword
. Sanguinary Guard: Angelus boltgun, Power fist

++ Total: [73 PL, 997pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

• Like 2