Doctor Who episode scripts available online for free

dalmer

If you are a fan of Doctor Who and ever envisioned yourself one day joining its writers' room, then you're in luck. Scripts for the popular series have been made available online for free by the BBC.

Included in the BBC Writers' Room Script Library are Episode 3 and Episode 4 from Season 9, Episode 8 from Season 10 and the Season 11 premiere featuring Jodie Whittaker.

"The Woman Who Fell to Earth" introduced Whittaker as the Thirteenth Doctor, with the star confirmed to return for a Season 12. Though filming will take place this year, Season 12 won't debut until 2020. The reason given for the delay is due to the show's "uniquely complex filming requirements and a lengthy post-production period," according to Lizo Mzimba, the BBC's entertainment correspondent.

The Doctor Who New Year Special, titled "Doctor Who: Resolution," aired on Jan. 1 and drew the lowest ratings since 2005. The special was the first since Jodi Whittaker took on the role of the Time Lord to feature one of the Doctor's classic villains, the Daleks. The episode was an origin story that commented on and satirized current affairs, including Brexit. With the 2020 delay, the special marks the only new episode of Doctor Who scheduled to air this year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Interesting about the drop for the special. I wonder if it had something to do with the placement on NY.

That being said, it's my understanding that we're up from season 10 and it is a bit of revitalization. Poor Capaldi was experiencing the biggest decline in a while:

Gah, finding a graph with source is tough.

PA-319998131-640x391.jpg

Capaldi suffered from a lot of the same problems that seemed to plague Colin Baker and Jodi Whittaker: the writers never quite cottoned on to the notion that they weren’t writing for the previous actor to play the Doctor.

I’ve only seen to first five or six Whittaker episodes, so this might change, but the writers, directors, and show runner seem to be asking her to do a (bad) Matt Smith impersonation. They had Capaldi do the same, but he seems to have been able to assert himself after his first series and started playing his own Doctor... Unfortunately, poor Pearl Mackie was never given a chance to be anyone other than “Not Clara,” just as Jenna Coleman barely ever got to be anyone other than “Not Amy.” 

Whittaker is a really good actress (go watch Broadchurch for proof) but I think she’s really being misused as a manic, hyperactive Doctor. I’d like to see her play a more trickster-chessmaster Doctor, a la McCoy.

• Like 2

I stopped watching mid-season 11. Too many mishandled social justice episodes, not enough doctor vs daleks (or one of the other classic villians). But, in fairness, I also think that the Peter Capaldi seasons were also light on the classic doctor who villians too. Some good episodes within, but it was on the decline there too. 

I feel like the issue is that they have too many dedicated fans that will watch even if the show is bad. And then they seem to have a really high budget. So the episodes have lost that corny doctor who feel, like statues for villians or robots with only a plunger for a hand.

Anyway, I don't think there's anything wrong with the actors playing the doctor in any of seasons (including the current), I just think that the writers are shifting the show in a different direction than it was when I started watching (around season 2 of this incarnation of the show). I'd put the start of the shift somewhere around Matt Smith, and continuing to the present. They are now marketing to a different target audience and I'm no longer in it. 

1 hour ago, paxmiles said:

I'd put the start of the shift somewhere around Matt Smith, and continuing to the present. They are now marketing to a different target audience and I'm no longer in it. 

That was also when Russell T. Davies left the show and was replaced as showrunner by Steven Moffat. That was the point where they lost me, honestly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/15/2019 at 7:54 AM, WestRider said:

I don't have Amazon Prime, just Netflix 😞

You don't have to subscribe to Amazon Prime to use their video streaming. You can, instead, buy the seasons from Amazon and just watch them. It can be nice to be able to go a month without paying a monthly streaming subscription and still have some shows to watch. You could buy physical copies too, I suppose. 

I will note that if you hit "more purchase options" they usually sell a discounted SD version of your show (as opposed to HD). They also have a small discount for shows that haven't finished airing, in buying the entire season.