40k Escalation League Week 3 mission, Forgive me

Dark Trainer

Ok, mission time. Took a chapter approved mission and desecrated it!!! Mwa ha ha! Hopefully Khorne approves. Posted from my phone so some of the formatting may be wonky, the Google drive doc might be better.

Mission URL: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Rq3D7-9MvCxB3y-oZXa_Aa9LuhiKoOT-5xfu7xyszsI/edit?usp=drivesdk

League week 3, Mission 3, Forgive me

NARRATIVE

Battle brothers, we have secured our position on this desolate rock. However, dire news has reached our lines. An altar of Chaos has been unearthed by the destruction of this war. We have been ordered to purge its heresy from existence. Prepare the Thunderfire cannons, all of them. But sir, we have friendlies in the area! I know, the Emperor protects and I hope they can forgive me...FIRE!!!

Sir, they’re firing on our position. We need to retreat NOW! Hold your line soldier, you see those ancient relics near that altar? They are not Chaos, but they don’t know that! We must retrieve them at all costs! Sir, our vox is dead, we have no way to request a cease fire. I know, the Emperor protects, right? CHARGE!!!

THE ARMIES

Each player selects a 1000pt Battle-forged army with no more than 2 detachments.

THE BATTLEFIELD

Create a 48”x48” table with proper 40k terrain density. Setup one piece of area terrain to represent the altar in the center of the battlefield. The players then roll off and, starting with the winner, alternate placing objective markers until four have been placed within 12” of the center but not within 6” of another marker.

DEPLOYMENT (one on one, two on two, or four man free for all)

jPULTqAT0UcmC55vN6quU3iBSVgO4SFc2KbkXMocJzI-55kWLOOIfJUDVhHC5-PX15OQ6KV9gAJN4mWE-9tmeMgUFASvbCMnLRV0YHCvCdh8-iegYOrrAxF79gTYbrWM2E2ebkpL

Use Front-Line Assault deployment (pg 217). Players roll off, highest roller picks deployment zone. Their opponent uses the other deployment zone. The players then alternate deploying their units, one at a time, starting with the player who did not pick their deployment zone. A player’s models must be set up within their own deployment zone (unless special rules allow otherwise). Continue setting up units until both sides have set up their army.

FIRST TURN

The player who finished setting up their army first can choose to take the first or second turn. If they decide to take the first turn, their opponent can roll a dice; on a roll of 6, they manage to seize the initiative, and they get the first turn instead!

BATTLE LENGTH

• Chaotic explosions: Start of each battle round (not player turn) all of the objective markers move 3” from the explosions around them. Alternate who moves a marker first. Starting with the 2nd player, each player may move one objective 3” in any direction they choose until all 4 moved. You may not move an objective already moved in this turn.

• Friendly fire: Start of each battle round after chaotic explosions, roll a D6 for each objective marker. If a 6 is rolled, a direct hit has happened. The objective marker is removed from play and any units within 3” of it suffer 1 mortal wound. For every unit of yours that suffered a wound this way, score 1 victory point for their sacrifice to Khorne.

At the end of battle round 5, roll a D6. On a 3+, the game continues. At the end of battle round 6, roll a D6. On roll of 4+, the game continues. The battle automatically ends at the end of battle round 7.

VICTORY CONDITIONS

At the end of the game, the player who has scored the most victory points is the winner. If both players have the same number of victory points, the game is a draw. Victory points are achieved for the following:

• Secured: At the end of the game, each objective marker still in play is worth 3 victory points to the player who controls it.

• Slay the Warlord: If the enemy Warlord has been slain during the battle, you score 1 victory point.

• First Strike: You score 1 victory point if any units from your opponent’s army were destroyed during the first battle round.

LEAGUE POINTS

• Win = 5 points, Draw = 3 points, Loss = 1 point

• Painting points:

• Newly painted model (1pt per, 3pts max) OR unit/vehicle/monstrous creature? (5 pts, 5pts max)

• Sportsmanship points:

• Update your thread on the Ordo forums tracking your missions & progress +1pt

• Did you bring food for the league? +1pt

• Provide Matt (a.k.a. Dark Trainer) feedback about what you’d like to see in the league via PM +1

• Did you laugh or grin during the match or crave a rematch? Yes or No

vY3XE0-Rj8xdgn8KRM-Vg_Vj0UZIoZ-6K7boJ8i0Cp_aRn_vs2IE4_fTMOHmLYvitjpAXcwVCmfNEyS2CW5-mDVKUXdeg3LQE13ymtqcrF_OnOG8jAH5C5RIQmB7l_eGJ7yOsnFI

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Dark Trainer 2x clarity questions:

1: Do we move objectives and then roll to see if they explode, or check if they explode and then move the ones that don't explode? Your wording makes them both happen at the same time and the order may matter a lot.

2: When objectives explode and deal mortal wounds to units within 3", do we get a VP for *each* mortal wound dealt by that explosion? Or do I get 1 total VP for having any units dealt a mortal wound by the explosion? I'm trying to figure out if there's a point in having multiple units guard the same objective.

41 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

@Dark Trainer 2x clarity questions:

1: Do we move objectives and then roll to see if they explode, or check if they explode and then move the ones that don't explode? Your wording makes them both happen at the same time and the order may matter a lot.

2: When objectives explode and deal mortal wounds to units within 3", do we get a VP for *each* mortal wound dealt by that explosion? Or do I get 1 total VP for having any units dealt a mortal wound by the explosion? I'm trying to figure out if there's a point in having multiple units guard the same objective.

Thanks, fixed. Made it so it moves first then explodes (for balance reasons), and I added if you suffer multiple units to get wounded you get multiple vp's!

• Like 1

@Dark Trainer Hate to do this, but I noticed one more thing that needs clarifying:

Both special rules, do we do them at the START of each Battle Round? Or the END of each battle round?

Note that if they resolve at the END, it may be possible to move them away from their controlling unit before rolling to see if the game ends. 

EDIT: Seems to be fixed now. Maybe I misread and maybe you fixed it. Either way, problem solved. 😁 

What are the physical sizes of the objective markers? And if it explodes, do we measure from the edge of the objective marker, or from the closest model part of the objective to the unit? 

How big is the alter in the middle of the table? Can it be any piece of terrain, or are their limits to its size? 

Looks fun! 

13 hours ago, Tamwulf said:

What are the physical sizes of the objective markers? And if it explodes, do we measure from the edge of the objective marker, or from the closest model part of the objective to the unit? 

How big is the alter in the middle of the table? Can it be any piece of terrain, or are their limits to its size? 

Looks fun! 

Any size, just measure from center of marker for the 3" (like normal objective markers). The altar can be any piece of terrain you and your opponent like. If you don't like it, grab another? I recommend a ruin or something with at least a little line of sight blocking. However, not required.

12 hours ago, Dark Trainer said:

And yep, ninja fixed :biggrin:

Thanks for the feedback.

So I did the ITC scoring for our game. 

If you took Head Hunter, Behind Enemy Lines, and OLD School as your secondaries you would of;

T1: Killed something, killed more, held something, First Strike (old school) (4 pts) 

T2: Killed Something, Killed More, Held Something, Head Hunter 2, Old School (Slay Warlord), and Behind Enemy Lines (7 pts more)

T3: Behind Enemy Lines, Held Something (2pts) 

For a total of 13 which is pretty good I think. 

2 hours ago, Sgt. Rock said:

I may have to get my game in on Sunday. I'm suffering from some nasty back spasms right now, and I may or may not even be able to make it in then. If I can't get my game in for this week, I may have to just drop out of the league. 😞

Pretty sure you can just skip a week. Probably will hinder your chances of winning overall, but goal is fun, right?

30 minutes ago, Ish said:

I missed this week and, with my work schedule, don’t really have any hope of making it up... But, I plan to keep going any way.

A league played and lost, is still more fun than staying home folding laundry.

Exactly.

Plus the league is a good excuse to paint models and try new things.