OFCC 40K Team Event 2014

Kay...  So if a team of 2's beats face on 2's and 3's. it will end up, if victorious fighting those who won.

If 4's play 4's, it wont matter which one won because they will be playing the remaining 2's and 3's that did well.

So inevitably...4's will fight the victorious 2's and 3's in the last two final rounds.

Right?

Lists:  With the rapid release schedule, differing mindsets and much deliberation it has been decided that this year we will try something new.  All players can bring whatever type of list they want.  Forgeworld units and lists, double force org, Lords of War, data slates, etc. are all allowed.  Now keep in mind that your team will receive a ranking and be playing teams of similar rank.  Captains need to take charge of what kind of team they want to bring, play against and structure their team accordingly.  Note lists are not only about generalship but may influence other categories as well.

So.... this last sentence is kinda vague and the conspiracy libertarian wacko side of me doesn't like how that sounds.  Can our lists affect our Sportsmanship points?  Painting scores?  Please give us examples of what this means.  If we bring some titans do we automatically get dinged half our Sportsmanship points?   

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Yup you stated it, sportsmanship is subjective and some folks will mark you down for bringing an "unfun" list, i.e. deathstars. Hopefully your team has enough diversity and so does your opponents so there is not an unbalanced opponent you are assigned.

No one likes to be steamrolled, and may judge you negatively. May being keyword and why it sounds so ominous.

I don't think there will be official ding and like scored teams playing like scored teams should mitigate this a bit. I have heard, seen and read folks who will factor your list into your sportsmanship unofficially, fair or not it happens.

That is all speculation but there maybe an official list grading players judge on. OFCC values fun and good times over net listing. In past fav opponents got more prizes than those who won. Just communicate with your team and make sure you are all on same page as to what you want to accomplishment.

• Like 2

Out of all the tournaments, this one feels like it can check the sportsmanship scores at the door. I have never been a fan of such an easily abused mechanic. Hell I have seen it be gamed before, at the OFCC, no names lol. 

I am not sure the best way to judge sportsmanship, but it feels odd for such a subjective thing.

I have never been a fan of such an easily abused mechanic. Hell I have seen it be gamed before, at the OFCC, no names lol. 

I am not sure the best way to judge sportsmanship, but it feels odd for such a subjective thing.

Did you just torpedo "Operation: Give opponents beers and hope for good sportsmanship scores"!?!

I can't paint and I always lose...that was my only chance.

;)

• Like 1

Out of all the tournaments, this one feels like it can check the sportsmanship scores at the door. I have never been a fan of such an easily abused mechanic. Hell I have seen it be gamed before, at the OFCC, no names lol. 

Getting rid of Sportsmanship is getting rid of the most important award of the event.

• Like 2

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Sportsmanship is without a doubt the most subjective part of tourney, but I disagree it needs to be in there, even in such an invitational event like ofcc. It reinforces th social contract of having a good time is #1 and both players are responsible for that. I would prefer a more extensive survey such as...

How many drinks did we have?

Did we make it past turn around and order another for each other?

Did he/she hold it all down?

He/she doesn't drink????

Seriously???? Under 21????

Serious note:

played through game turn 4?

Waa the list fun to play?... Controversial, but some of my favs were net lists that opponent shared super fluff story as to how it came to be.

Favorite opponent?

• Like 1

I myself have had people zero my sports at OFCC after a game that we were laughing and joking around during because they didn't like my list. Having post game sports scores boils down to did your opponent beat you? yes/no at least enough of the time that it seems silly to me. I can definitely see having favorite opponent pins and having a way to report bad attitude/game play but list rating is done before the event isn't it? Why bother with ratings if you're going to have it scored every game?

• Like 2

First of all, I wonder if anyone saying sportsmanship should be dropped from OFCC has ever actually been to the event.  The OFCC is all about sportsmanship.  The sportsmanship award is the highest honor you can get.  Removing sportsmanship would cut the heart out of the OFCC and make the event just another tournament.

And as for lists factoring into sports scores, Joel has nicely accounted for it:

Sportsmanship is scored with 10 points possible per game.  2 points if your opponent would be willing to play you again, 2 points if your opponent would be willing to play your list again, 2 points for acting in an “adult manner” and 1, 2, 3 or 4 for game play.  With 5 games this would be 50 points.  5 Bonus points will be awarded from each favorite opponent pin.

So lists represent 20% of your sportsmanship score, which sounds perfectly reasonable to me.  Some lists are not fun to play against.  And the OFCC is about making a good time for the person across the table from you, not just yourself.

• Like 2

First of all, I wonder if anyone saying sportsmanship should be dropped from OFCC has ever actually been to the event.  The OFCC is all about sportsmanship.  The sportsmanship award is the highest honor you can get.  Removing sportsmanship would cut the heart out of the OFCC and make the event just another tournament.

And as for lists factoring into sports scores, Joel has nicely accounted for it:

So lists represent 20% of your sportsmanship score, which sounds perfectly reasonable to me.  Some lists are not fun to play against.  And the OFCC is about making a good time for the person across the table from you, not just yourself.

I think the argument against an sportsmanship score would be that, if the event is about fun and sportsmanship, you don't need to rate those things with a numerical value to enjoy them. The goal would be sportsmanship, rather than the means.

"Some lists are not fun to play against" is entirely subjective. I consider the "sixty tacticals on foot" list not fun to play against because it's so amazingly weak, bland and without, er, tactics. What other people think is an "unfun" list will naturally vary with their proclivities. In essence, a sportsmanship score rated on your list is just going to be a random value that someone else gets to assign to you, because it is literally impossible to ever come up with a list that everyone will consider fun/acceptable.

I mean, isn't that the point of the LRC, to grade people's lists before the tournament? Do we really need another layer of that as well?

• Like 1

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

voluntaryoes everyone get a say in the list grading? no, it is a committee.

I remember hearing complaints about list rating all over. This gives the masses a say, committee and masses are both subjective graders. I don't think the committee was made up of elite experts, it's voluntary.

Teams will play against similarly rated teams so if teams collaborate strongly with each other on lists, then there will be a second layer of protection about list hurting individuals scores.

I think it is petty to grade a list on w/l; I think a small minority do that. The victims will be marginal. it seems to go a against the the spirit of ofcc, to mark down a list for not being tactically fun to play, work with the captains to avoid this. The captains have a responsibility of trying to match up the games ghat will be most fun gnawed on all the factors the players are looking for. The player assignment by captains is a third layer of protection.

3 layers is pretty good I think.

• Like 1