Space Marines new Beta Rule

Lyraeus

4 hours ago, Ish said:

They come from the Thousand Sons Legion, but are not Rubric Marines. All Rubric Marines are Thousand Sons, not all Thousand Sons are Rubric Marines.

The “Rubric Marines” are the piles of dust in animated suits of armor. The unit is called “Rubric Marines,” but fluff-wise the Aspiring Sorcerer leading the squad is not a Rubric Marine.

Also, Rubric and Rubik aren’t the same word. Just, FYI... Although the idea of evil undead super-soldier armor being piloted by a multicolored cube is amusing.

They retconned that fluff awhile back and now they doubled down on it! 6th/7th maybe further they said something about "new" rubrics being made by individual sorcerers so any legion could have their very own rubrics...

• Like 1

Yep, because we needed sixteen different codices for every flavor of Loyalist Spess Mahreen (not to mention eighteen “minidex” type supplements) but we can’t have more than one codex for the Spikey Spess Magreens. 🙄

When we finally got a Codex: Thousand Sons and then Death Guard, I was starting to think we might actually see five separate Chaos Marine armies. But, apparently not... Having Rubric Marines in another < Legion > just seems wrong! 

Yes, fine, the rules say so... But I don’t have to like it! I’m going to write them a sternly worded letter. Stern!  😡

8 hours ago, Ish said:

Yep, because we needed sixteen different codices for every flavor of Loyalist Spess Mahreen (not to mention eighteen “minidex” type supplements) but we can’t have more than one codex for the Spikey Spess Magreens. 🙄

When we finally got a Codex: Thousand Sons and then Death Guard, I was starting to think we might actually see five separate Chaos Marine armies. But, apparently not... Having Rubric Marines in another < Legion > just seems wrong! 

Yes, fine, the rules say so... But I don’t have to like it! I’m going to write them a sternly worded letter. Stern!  😡

So, ignoring fluff, think about it in terms of model releases. Loyalist SM got the Primaris Marines this time around. What did codex CSM get for 8e? The new kits for CSM are Plague Marines and Rubric Marines.

Oh, I think we got an updated model for Kharn, too.

Loyalist Marines players have no room to complain that CSM got too many options this time around. 

That’s why I’m saying the Chaos Marine side of things should be five codices: Death Guard, World Eaters, Thousand Sons, Emperor’s Children, and “vanilla” Chaos Marines (Black Legion, Iron Warriors, Night Lords, etc.) 

In the same way that the Imperial Marines have had separate codices for Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Space Wolves, “vanilla” Marines, and sometimes others.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2019 at 11:21 PM, Ish said:

That’s why I’m saying the Chaos Marine side of things should be five codices: Death Guard, World Eaters, Thousand Sons, Emperor’s Children, and “vanilla” Chaos Marines (Black Legion, Iron Warriors, Night Lords, etc.) 

In the same way that the Imperial Marines have had separate codices for Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Space Wolves, “vanilla” Marines, and sometimes others.

Well, that's up to GW and in how many books they want to make. I think CSM need updated kits more than they need updated rules. And they don't even need to be entire kits, I'd be happy for an upgrade spure with alternate torsos and heads for SM kits, like the SM devatastors, Tactical Marines, and I think it would be pretty easy to turn the centurion kit into an obliterator kit. 

I'm still suprised that loyalist SM got Tartaros, cataphachii, and contemptors in their codex because of those HH sets, but CSM didn't get any of that (despite Word Bearers and Thousand Sons being represented in those box sets).

Was also rather surprised that GW didn't make an upgrade sprue for those AoS/fantasy human juggernaut riders. Seemed like a really easy kit to slightly alter and sell to 40k players. In general, surprised that GW didn't make more of the fanatasy chaos humans into CSM units (not everything, but quite a few of those Khorne Bloodbound or Nurgle bloated humans would fit just fine in a CSM army).