More GSC previews

pretre

12 minutes ago, Ish said:

Unless they change them in the new book, they lack the < Placeholder > keyword to qualify for the special rule.

Well, none of them had the <Cult-Sect> keyword, or anything similar. Current faction keywords in the index are only TYRANIDS, GENESTEALER CULTS, across all units (including Purestrain Genestealers)

6 hours ago, Chikin said:

What is vect?

It was the best stratagem in the game for awhile. But what Fluger said is correct. Its basically a counter-stratagem stratagem. But with some pretty harsh costs. Only once a game, 4cp.

The GSC one is only 3cp and multiple use. But that will be faq-ed soon.

5 hours ago, Andrewgeddon said:

Has this been confirmed somewhere that Genestealers don't get the Cult-sect benefits?

From the info I seen, which allegedly came from the book, on the Competitive 40k fb page genestealers do not. I would say it's an attempt to have GSC players field something other than genestealers.

1 hour ago, WestRider said:

GSC should be almost as good for that themselves. The list Spork mentioned still has two Battalions for CP easily.

Indeed. And "guardsmen" squads at 20 I believe with better LD. Definitely useful tools within the 4th "mega" faction.

I guess just tau and necrons are left in the cold without any allies cause orks dont need em. Although it would be cool to have a mercenary ork detachment per AM faction. Or AM detachment in a Tau army. Man... necrons should learn to make friends instead of putting them in Pokeballs. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, SPaceORK said:

Indeed. And "guardsmen" squads at 20 I believe with better LD. Definitely useful tools within the 4th "mega" faction.

I guess just tau and necrons are left in the cold without any allies cause orks dont need em. Although it would be cool to have a mercenary ork detachment per AM faction. Or AM detachment in a Tau army. Man... necrons should learn to make friends instead of putting them in Pokeballs. 

Orks could use an updated Grot range please. I want updated Big Gunz, and such! 

• Like 1

40kCultBiophagus-Jan16-Header6tsc.jpg

What’s cooler than a massive industrial drill? Not much. What about a drill so big that it can cause localised earthquakes? Probably nothing! Well, the Tectonic Fragdrill can do just that! Given that this awesome scenery piece for the Genestealer Cults is available to pre-order tomorrow, we thought we’d find out a bit more about it. With that in mind, we spoke to the architect of the kit, Ray Dranfield, to glean some insights into its design…

40kGSCNewUnits-Jan30-Fragdrill4rhx.jpg

Ray: The original concept for the Fragdrill was inspired by a drawing Dave Andrews did when we were designing the Sector Mechanicus scenery range. However, given the mining aesthetics of the Genestealer Cults, we decided that a huge industrial drill would work better as a bespoke terrain piece for the faction rather than as a universal kit.

40kGSCDrill-Feb1-Sketch9fn.jpg

The first thing I wanted to do was make sure that the Fragdrill fit with the Sector Mechanicus range of scenery. That way, anyone could feasibly add it to their terrain collection or use it as a feature piece or objective. To do this, I had to make sure that it could be attached to the existing floors. I almost used the same clip system that fits underneath the walkways but decided against it to avoid any hanging cables or other components getting in the way.

By having it slot onto the side of the walkways in the same way as the railings, it not only avoids that issue but, provided you don’t glue the fragdrill to another scenery piece, it allows you to move it to different locations in between games.

40kGSCDrill-Deb1-DrillFittings4xk.jpg

The next problem to solve was how to mount the drill itself. Dave’s original sketch had it on small trolley wheels clamped to an upright stanchion. I opted to change the structure to rails, enabling it to fit alongside different sections of the Sector Mechanicus scenery as desired. I also added a rack and pinion (the cogs) to show how the drill would be able to move up and down, all the while being securely held in place so that it wouldn’t slip from its mountings.

40kGSCDrill-Feb1-DrillInSitu6on.jpg 40kGSCDrill-Feb1-DrillInSitu5gc.jpg

If the drill was going to sit on rails, it would need a carriage to house it. That gave me the idea of matching the mountings to the carriage from the Galvanic Servohaulers so that you can even have the drill being towed around the gaming table! In fact, I had a bit of spare space on the frame, so I even added a component that enables you to attach the Servohauler’s carriage to the back of a Goliath instead of one of the unmanned tugs.

Yet there was something still bothering me at this point – if you had two Tectonic Fragdrills and you assembled one so that it was being towed, you’d be left with some spare rails. So I went back and redesigned them to stack – now you can put multiple sets of rails together to make the rig as tall as you like!

40kGSCDrill-Feb1-DrillTrailer3hc.jpg

The last details I added were the ancillary drills (smaller heads designed to free up the main drill should it ever get stuck). We always try to make Imperial technology look and feel really old, reasoning that these things have been running for hundreds, if not thousands, of years – whenever there’s a problem (and because it’s rare that anyone knows actually how to fix it), they bolt-on extra components or run wires around offending circuits. This means that it’s unlikely that any two Fragdrills would ever look the same. That being the case, I designed the ancillary drills to fix onto the primary drill anywhere around its head so you can mix and match your configurations.

40kGSCDrill-Feb1-DrillBattleshot7ch.jpg

Thanks, Ray. That’s some serious design wizardry right there! You can pre-order your own Tectonic Fragdrills from tomorrow, and if you want to build a super-cool hauling rig as Ray suggested, you can order as Sector Mechanicus Galvanic Servohauler right now!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Andrewgeddon said:

Apparently it was confirmed on today's streamed match that Genestealers do not get <CULT-SECT>. Just fine for me, I've got 20 Aberrants and only 8 Genestealers, lol

Well its assumed you'll put the 'stealers on your nid battalion.

Aberrants are the beefy cc guys right?

1 hour ago, SPaceORK said:

Well its assumed you'll put the 'stealers on your nid battalion.

Aberrants are the beefy cc guys right?

Yep, with either hammers or picks.

I'm considering a Tyranid detachment, but a spearhead with a lot of Carnifexs.... or whatever the plural for Carnifex is.

Assuming that Acolytes DO land at 7ppm, I'm curious if we even need Genestealers? Seems they do similar jobs, but one fills a troop slot.

27 minutes ago, Andrewgeddon said:

Yep, with either hammers or picks.

I'm considering a Tyranid detachment, but a spearhead with a lot of Carnifexs.... or whatever the plural for Carnifex is.

Assuming that Acolytes DO land at 7ppm, I'm curious if we even need Genestealers? Seems they do similar jobs, but one fills a troop slot.

I feel you dont need the stealers in GSC. You do want them with nids. Because you can "throw" a squad a turn at them.

I feel you do want Aberrants for GSC for sneaky charges, if the ambush works similar.

Mostly I think your taking GSC for cp, screens, the mind control ability the magus has, the agents of vect stratagem and unlocking AM. So a ton of utility, which is great. And it fits that they are sending in the AM and nids to do the heavy listening while they hide in the shadows.