LVO TIME!

Lord Hanaur

The deadline for lists is today and deciding on it was stressful.

I had fully intended to bring glorious fiery absolution to my foes, and could not wait for the Beta Codex.  Some of you can appreciate my dismay as I have tested it in  10 games, including a GT.  It's complete failure to perform even remotely as well as its predecessor (though I did manag 6-4) led me to throw a poll out to ask my local players what I ought to do.   They resoundingly told me to abandom my hopes of repping them at LVO and play the T'au Empire.  Pretty heart broken bout it but it is what it is.

Anyone else struggle with their decision?  What kinds of fun do people anticipate will be the toughest, especially in timed games?  Its my very first LVO and I am told it will be crazy.  Crazy fun or just chaos?  Anyone whose been there, clue me in on what to expect?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Lord Hanaur said:

The deadline for lists is today and deciding on it was stressful.

I had fully intended to bring glorious fiery absolution to my foes, and could not wait for the Beta Codex.  Some of you can appreciate my dismay as I have tested it in  10 games, including a GT.  It's complete failure to perform even remotely as well as its predecessor (though I did manag 6-4) led me to throw a poll out to ask my local players what I ought to do.   They resoundingly told me to abandom my hopes of repping them at LVO and play the T'au Empire.  Pretty heart broken bout it but it is what it is.

Anyone else struggle with their decision?  What kinds of fun do people anticipate will be the toughest, especially in timed games?  Its my very first LVO and I am told it will be crazy.  Crazy fun or just chaos?  Anyone whose been there, clue me in on what to expect?

ENVY!!!!! Can't go this year.... Next year

1 hour ago, Lord Hanaur said:

Don't envy me just yet.  Lol.  I am hoping its fun but we'll see.  I'll scratch it off the bucket list in any event.  Just was wondering what to expect.  The scope of it is so big, yet only one table at a time matters.

@Jason with his pretty boy Mordians (see picture)

received_2165975377053134.jpeg

I think you will have a good time. See if you can track down the MUGU Legion guys see if you can chat up Harrison, he is all about having fun. The top tables will be more cut throat but they are still heavily focused on sportsmanship 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Lord Hanaur said:

Don't envy me just yet.  Lol.  I am hoping its fun but we'll see.  I'll scratch it off the bucket list in any event.  Just was wondering what to expect.  The scope of it is so big, yet only one table at a time matters.

I’m going! First time for me and a buddy meeting me there from LA. I’m going imperial guard and he’s going tyranids. We’re doing the champions tournament, not expecting to win much, but looking to learn and have fun.

The meta as far as I can tell...be able to handle hordes and knights/super elite stuff like custodes. 

What are you bringing? 

On 1/25/2019 at 8:48 PM, Lyraeus said:

@Jason with his pretty boy Mordians (see picture)

received_2165975377053134.jpeg

I think you will have a good time. See if you can track down the MUGU Legion guys see if you can chat up Harrison, he is all about having fun. The top tables will be more cut throat but they are still heavily focused on sportsmanship 

I played Harrison at the recent lead up GT.  We had a very hard fought game.  I won by like 2 points.  I think I know the guy you mean.

16 hours ago, Jason said:

I’m going! First time for me and a buddy meeting me there from LA. I’m going imperial guard and he’s going tyranids. We’re doing the champions tournament, not expecting to win much, but looking to learn and have fun.

The meta as far as I can tell...be able to handle hordes and knights/super elite stuff like custodes. 

What are you bringing? 

I have the ability to handle Knights half way decently.  Ork Lootaz are of course going to be out in force and are the largest issue.  I've not had many difficulties dealing with Knights (in general) but Orks are of course a new breed of trouble I must plan for.  I've practiced against some of them.  I think going second actually works better against them which is kind of weird.  Seems like every time I've played them I've wished I went second!  Can't say that every day about most armies.

I was absolutely going to play Sisters of Battle...  And then the Beta Codex dropped and suddenly they are much worse.  QUITE unfortunate.    So now I am going to bring the T'au Empire.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lord Hanaur said:

I have the ability to handle Knights half way decently.  Ork Lootaz are of course going to be out in force and are the largest issue.  I've not had many difficulties dealing with Knights (in general) but Orks are of course a new breed of trouble I must plan for.  I've practiced against some of them.  I think going second actually works better against them which is kind of weird.  Seems like every time I've played them I've wished I went second!  Can't say that every day about most armies.

I was absolutely going to play Sisters of Battle...  And then the Beta Codex dropped and suddenly they are much worse.  QUITE unfortunate.    So now I am going to bring the T'au Empire.

I play orks so, come at me 😛

6 hours ago, Lyraeus said:

I play orks so, come at me 😛

A'aight.  I'll give it a shot.

Orks have always been fun to play against and play.  The Gretchen shield is probably too cheap but once they fix that, it should be fine.  Won't happen before LVO so I'll have to plan accordingly.  But orks are da best because when you hit them, they die.  When they hit, they kill.  So both players are getting the gratification of their weapons/fists "doing something". Less frustrating than armies against which you must expend entire rounds to kill one unit.  For example I had to fire just about an entire army to kill a nurgle tank and so on.  Even if the enemy is eventually vanquished its not quite as satisfying as seeing handfuls of Gretchen disappear or 20 orks breathing their last.  Hehe.  Still, tough army.  I own the orks also.  Fun to play, fun to fight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lord Hanaur said:

A'aight.  I'll give it a shot.

Orks have always been fun to play against and play.  The Gretchen shield is probably too cheap but once they fix that, it should be fine.  Won't happen before LVO so I'll have to plan accordingly.  But orks are da best because when you hit them, they die.  When they hit, they kill.  So both players are getting the gratification of their weapons/fists "doing something". Less frustrating than armies against which you must expend entire rounds to kill one unit.  For example I had to fire just about an entire army to kill a nurgle tank and so on.  Even if the enemy is eventually vanquished its not quite as satisfying as seeing handfuls of Gretchen disappear or 20 orks breathing their last.  Hehe.  Still, tough army.  I own the orks also.  Fun to play, fun to fight.

Grot shields is limited and supposed to be cheap over turn as grots have LD 4 and unless you baby sit them they run like mad not only do you force CP used (and we have little ways to get that back). Though being smart and spreading the kills around helps. 

Orks are fun that way. I am. Counter meta as I run Deathskulls instead of Evil Sunz. Yes range and movement is great, getting a chance at survival and forcing an opponent to push MORE firepower than normal to kill a squad... Priceless. It's that whole idea of "So what you are saying is that there is a chance?" oh and the rerolls for being blue is fantastic. Especially on a Relic Shokk Attack Gun... Hehehe

1 hour ago, SPaceORK said:

And they already have nerfed grot shields. You have to be wholly within 6" now.

That's not what the FAQ that's currently up on the WHQ site says: "...if there is a friendly unit comprised entirely of <Clan> Gretchin Infantry models within 6" of it..." The "entirely" is referring to the composition of the Unit, not it's distance.

That Errata was actually a buff to the Stratagem, because now it works per Wounding Hit, rather than per Wound, so it only takes one Grot to eat, say, a Lascannon shot or something.

6 minutes ago, WestRider said:

That's not what the FAQ that's currently up on the WHQ site says: "...if there is a friendly unit comprised entirely of <Clan> Gretchin Infantry models within 6" of it..." The "entirely" is referring to the composition of the Unit, not it's distance.

That Errata was actually a buff to the Stratagem, because now it works per Wounding Hit, rather than per Wound, so it only takes one Grot to eat, say, a Lascannon shot or something.

If that's the case then thats great. I've been playing it as you have to have them wholly within 6".

I coulda sworn I read it was wholly within in the faq.

Just now, SPaceORK said:

If that's the case then thats great. I've been playing it as you have to have them wholly within 6".

I coulda sworn I read it was wholly within in the faq.

The way it's formatted in the document, it's actually really easy to misread it that way, because the "entirely" is right over the "Within 6"" bit, and that's where we're more used to seeing a modifier like that. So the brain can tend to slip it down to where it expects to see it. Bad layout hurts reading comprehension.

4 hours ago, Lord Hanaur said:

I mean the price for the Stratagem.  Way too cheap.  Its like stealing when you protect 25 lootaz w 40 or so gretchen.  Pretty sweet.

Sure, it seems cheap except lootas are the only reliable firebase for orks, without that stratagem being cheap lootas are overpriced by about 4-5 points

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lyraeus said:

Sure, it seems cheap 

That's over a quarter of the army in points (545).  That's Castellan levels of pricey and they aren't really that resilient to dedicated shooting.  Target the grots first and have them run away, then hit the lootas.  Deep striking/outflanking shooty units can also clear em.  To get the most of em you're using 4 or 5 (depending on if they are using grot screens) CP a turn. 

NOT saying they're bad, just not cheap.

46 minutes ago, fluger said:

That's over a quarter of the army in points (545).  That's Castellan levels of pricey and they aren't really that resilient to dedicated shooting.  Target the grots first and have them run away, then hit the lootas.  Deep striking/outflanking shooty units can also clear em.  To get the most of em you're using 4 or 5 (depending on if they are using grot screens) CP a turn. 

NOT saying they're bad, just not cheap.

Yup. Exactly so. CP is already at a premium and if Grot Shields were 2 CP the army would have a VERY hard time making top tables. Dakka Dakka Dakka is strong and so is More Dakka but the cost to operate is huge

10 hours ago, Lyraeus said:

Sure, it seems cheap except lootas are the only reliable firebase for orks, without that stratagem being cheap lootas are overpriced by about 4-5 points

"only" doesnt really matter since you can split fire.  Also its not the only firebase.  Their bikers and their kannons both form pretty good firebases.  But because you can actually protect the Lootaz like crazy, it becomes the default obvious and somewhat broken choice.  I mean Im going to be super guilty of using it but It is broken.  Too obvious not to do it.  The Stratagem just needs to go up in price.

42 minutes ago, Lord Hanaur said:

"only" doesnt really matter since you can split fire.  Also its not the only firebase.  Their bikers and their kannons both form pretty good firebases.  But because you can actually protect the Lootaz like crazy, it becomes the default obvious and somewhat broken choice.  I mean Im going to be super guilty of using it but It is broken.  Too obvious not to do it.  The Stratagem just needs to go up in price.

Bikers don't get benefits from the grots and neither do Mek Gunz.

The first is expensive the latter dies easily to most meta options thus giving up ITC points for kill and kill more. 

Lootas are not broken but are gate keeper units. They can do good but take A LOT of CP to work, as stated 1-5 CP a turn in a faction thst may get one CP back a turn IF they do some shenanigans like I do. 

What makes lootas the better choice is two things:

1) consistency in damage. Being 2 damage in shooting is HUGE as a few saves can drop vehicles down a ton. 

2) stratagem support. Shooting twice, shields and always a 5+ to hit and proc dakka is vital but expensive and limited. 

Lootas otherwise die so easily especially if you catch them with out shields near