Just another nerd with a 3D Printer :)

evil_bryan

I decided to pull the trigger on buying a 3D printer about 4 weeks ago, a Prusa i3 Mk3 kit.

It arrived two weeks later and after a slow and methodical assembly, I got it up and running.

After two weeks of constant printing, I now have a pile of terrain.

rwRXeO1wMVKztnWMRPgjtgfzbFq2uZPzmeoGIhrj

I have a long way to go in getting a whole 6x4 table, but that is my goal (for now.) 🙂 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, evil_bryan said:

You know, its really the best hobby for me. Small bursts of activity followed by long periods of inactivity.

It is the first I have ever been able to make hobby progress AND sleep at the same time...it's perfect. 🙂 

That’s it. I’m sold.

How hard was the kit to assemble?

3 minutes ago, Ish said:

That’s it. I’m sold.

How hard was the kit to assemble?

Building the Prusa is not easy, but it is certainly manageable. During my build I ran into a couple of challenges that was able to overcome, but my solution to one of the problems really amped up the difficulty of the build.

In building the Y axis, you need to drop nuts into the provided extrusion to anchor these parts to the frame.

Take the Y-holder-front and insert M3nS nuts.  

When I was screwing one of these parts to the frame, the bolt cross threaded a bit. I think the threads on the nut/bolt were not cut well enough. Once that happened, the nut started to free spin within the enclosure and tear up the walls which kept the captured nut in place. The easiest solution was to simply replace the 3D printed part, but since I was building the machine that could print that part I had to find another solution.

I drilled a parallel hole to the nut channel and drove a brass pin through the part to provide a new surface for the nut to resist against. That allowed me to free the cross threaded nut. After adding a second brass pin to the other side to shore up that channel, I replaced the nut with one from the provided spare parts bag and continued assembly.

I think most people would have been happier to spend the extra $200 and bought the machine assembled. 🙂 

The Prusa i3 has those nice upgrades compared to the Ender 3. If I do it, I'll probably go Ender 3 just due to costs. But yes, manual levelling, vs auto levelling. Auto table tracking, vs non tracking table makes the i3 very solid once assembled. Bryan, you convinced me once yours was built, how you really didn't have to fuss much and got a GREAT print right out of the gate.

Comes down to how much disposable income do you have. The i3 is a no brainer if money is no issue. Also lots of great youtube videos out there.