Shadowsun question

Came up the other day in a game I was observing. How does Shadowsun's wound transfer ability work with stealth suits? The wording is odd and there was some debate if it takes place at the damage step or at the wound step, as it's worded as when she "loses" wounds.

Didn't matter too much for the game, but I am curious.

9 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

Came up the other day in a game I was observing. How does Shadowsun's wound transfer ability work with stealth suits? The wording is odd and there was some debate if it takes place at the damage step or at the wound step, as it's worded as when she "loses" wounds.

Didn't matter too much for the game, but I am curious.

For those that don't know, here are the two rules in question:

• Saviour Protocols: If a <SEPT> INFANTRY or <SEPT> BATTLESUIT unit within 3" of a friendly <SEPT> DRONES unit is wounded by an enemy attack, roll a D6. On a 2+ you can allocate the wound to the Drones unit instead of the target. If you do, that Drones unit suffers a mortal wound instead of the normal damage.
  • Defender of the Greater Good: Roll a D6 each time Shadowsun loses a wound whilst she is within 3" of a friendly unit of XV25 Stealth Battlesuits. On a 2+, a model from that unit can intercept that hit - Shadowsun does not lose a wound, but the unit suffers a mortal wound.

Ah, that s pretty simple. You pass entire attacks to Drones and when that fails you pass individual wounds to stealthsuits. 

So if you get hit with an autocannon (S7 AP-1 Dmg 2) and fail to pass it to a Drone you can attempt to pass the 2 wounds off to a friendly Stealthsuit. 

This is due to the term "loses a wound" on the Defender of the Greater Good rule vs "is wounded" on Savior Protocol. 

You are wounded when an opponent makes a successful To Wound roll. 

You lose wounds equal to the Damage Characteristic of the weapon wounding your model when you fail a Save or don't pass the wound off

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lyraeus said:

Ah, that s pretty simple. You pass entire attacks to Drones....

For clarity, the you don't pass any attacks to the drones. The way the drone mechanic (saviour protocols) works is that the entire attack is discounted and the drone suffers a single mortal wound. Or rather, the drone commits Hara Kiri and nullifies your attack.

It's a weird game mechanic, but it creates less messy rules questions than if you actually were transferring damage or altering the target of an attack.

13 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

For clarity, the you don't pass any attacks to the drones. The way the drone mechanic (saviour protocols) works is that the entire attack is discounted and the drone suffers a single mortal wound. Or rather, the drone commits Hara Kiri and nullifies your attack.

It's a weird game mechanic, but it creates less messy rules questions than if you actually were transferring damage or altering the target of an attack.

No need to be pedantic about it. You know what I mean and I was being concise

Departmento Munitorum and Ordo Xenos have collected after-action reports from regiments assigned to the Damocles Crusade which indicate that, sometimes, the vocalizers of the xenos drones will broadcast the phrase "Notice me, senpai!" as they intercept shots meant for the T'au Commander armored suits.  Selected portions of these otherwise redacted reports have passed along to the Ordo Dialogus of the Adepta Sororitas for translation. The true meaning remains unknown and likely sinister.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lyraeus said:

No need to be pedantic about it. You know what I mean and I was being concise

I was posting without eating....yeah, all things considered, I did pretty well to not piss anyone off.

Sorry about that.

1 hour ago, Ish said:

ALWAYS PEDANTIC! ALL THE TIME!

That'll be the battle-cry of my Legion, once I'm revealed as one of the two lost Primarchs.

I'm really hoping we get a woman primarch.

I'd also like a non-human primarch for the other one.

7 hours ago, paxmiles said:

I'm really hoping we get a woman primarch.

I'd also like a non-human primarch for the other one.

I know you were talking about one derived from Xenos genestock, but in the spirit of pedantry we've got going on here, none of them are really human. :)

20 minutes ago, Lord Hanaur said:

Were there women primarchs?  Im unaware of any.

Not canonically. Some people have headcanon about one or both of the "missing" Primarchs being female, but on the rare occasions that they've been discussed in the Horus Heresy series, they've always been referred to by male pronouns.

• Like 1

No, not for fluff reasons. But for game diversity and PR, gw would be really smart to add a female primarch. Even if she remains lost and her chapter is never found, female space Marines in the backstory would be really healthy for the the hobby.

And the non human one is just something I would like to see.

2 hours ago, Kelharis said:

You guys keep making me think someone has posted regarding the Shadowsun question, lol.  Although I'd say at this point consensus is that we played it correctly, applying her rule after she loses (fails armor/invuln save) the wound.

Concensus seems to be that her ability triggers when she takes damage. So like she gets hit by a krak missile, get's wounded, drone fails to save, so she takes her saves and fails, the 1d6 krak missile damage is 5, so she'd normally "lose 5 wounds" but she now has the option to "pass" the lost wounds to stealth suits nearby.

2 hours ago, paxmiles said:

Concensus seems to be that her ability triggers when she takes damage. So like she gets hit by a krak missile, get's wounded, drone fails to save, so she takes her saves and fails, the 1d6 krak missile damage is 5, so she'd normally "lose 5 wounds" but she now has the option to "pass" the lost wounds to stealth suits nearby.

Seems to make sense.