OFCC 2019 - Friday August 16th - SPEED PAINTING TOURNAMENT!

5owsago6nk511.jpg

o   What: Speed PAINTING TOURNAMENT!

o   When: Friday, August 16th from 6– 9 pm (Tentatively)

o   Where: OFCC at the Hilton in Downtown Vancouver

o   Number of Players (min/max): 4/16

o   Timing: Four, 20 Minute Rounds with 15 minute breaks/judging between

o   Event Style: Bracket Tournament

o   Cost: $5.

o   Scoring: Straight up head to head competition in brackets. Winners advance. Audience judges each model. Cleanest, most complete wins the round.

o   Prizes: First, you get to keep all of the minis that you paint. Second, the winner will walk away with not just the knowledge that they are the fastest brush at OFCC, but… will also get a $50 Gift Certificate to Mindtaker Miniatures!

Do you like to take your time and apply two thin coats when one would probably suffice? This may not be the event for you.

Participants will be going head-to-head in a bracketed speed painting competition. You will have 20 minutes to paint your miniature. When finished, the judges and crowd will determine the best mini and the winner will progress to the next round.

Participant Info

·         Primed, assembled miniatures will be provided for each round (and are secret until the round starts).

·         Basic paints and brushes will be provided for contestants but you are allowed, nay encouraged, to bring your own materials.

·         Please arrive early with enough time to set up your painting area, once set up you will not have to change locations. There will be 15-minute breaks between rounds for cleaning/resetting.

·         Be prepared for a wide range of subject matter, from AoS to 40K, organic to machine. Primer color will vary as well from round to round.

·         Completion to tabletop standard is the objective but there is no bonus to finishing earlier than the allotted time.

·         You are encouraged to join the judging if eliminated.

·         There will be crowd participation, countdowns and such. Heckling is frowned upon, but cheering is encouraged. This will not be a quiet event.

PURCHASE YOUR TICKETS HERE!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, pretre said:

Timing is tentative as well because I'm hoping to have it start after the other events end, but we'll see how stuff shakes out for Friday.

Excellent. There's at least one more Friday event that I'd really like to get in on, and being able to do both would be particularly awesome.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2019 at 5:42 PM, WestRider said:

Excellent. There's at least one more Friday event that I'd really like to get in on, and being able to do both would be particularly awesome.

I talked to Scott about the Underworlds tournament and we're committed to scheduling so that there isn't a conflict.

• Thanks 2

This looks awesome! I am sure I will be out in the first round, but it should be fun. Also, you should make everyone use the same paintbrushes so that all those really good painters with their fancy paintbrushes will sweat a little and level the playing field a bit. Also, also, you should designate the colors to be used and only have 1 paint pot for everyone 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, PumpkinHead said:

This looks awesome! I am sure I will be out in the first round, but it should be fun. Also, you should make everyone use the same paintbrushes so that all those really good painters with their fancy paintbrushes will sweat a little and level the playing field a bit. Also, also, you should designate the colors to be used and only have 1 paint pot for everyone 😛

A couple things:

- Don't be so sure about round 1. This is speed painting and crowd judged.If you think it is fun, join up. It's only $5 and you'll get a mini to bring home even if you are out in the first round. Then you can get your revenge during voting on the future rounds. Muahahaha

- We're allowing anyone to bring their fancy brushes or whatever. You wanna bring a house brush and a gallon of white outdoor? Do it. You want to bring an airbrush? Do it. Washes? Sure. Blood of your enemies? Sure.

- We have talked about in later years doing a Chopped style competition for miniatures where you have certain paints and models and have to make it work. That's probably out of scope for this year though. Some real life stuff made me scale back on how much we were putting in here. (As a secret aside, we plan on doing a real painting competition next year. Same story, we were going to do it this year, but life.)

• Like 2

Participant info:

·         Please arrive early with enough time to set up your painting area, once set up you will not have to change locations. There will be 15-minute breaks between rounds for cleaning/resetting.

·         Be prepared for a wide range of subject matter, from AoS to 40K, organic to machine. Primer color will vary as well from round to round.

·         Completion to tabletop standard is the objective but there is no bonus to finishing earlier than the allotted time.

·         There will be crowd participation, countdowns and such. Heckling is frowned upon, but cheering is encouraged. This will not be a quiet event.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RobynMM said:

Participant info:

First thing first.... I thought this was pretre... Second, heckling from painters to painters and drinking should be required. 

I plan on joining, I just don't plan on winning.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, pretre said:

- We have talked about in later years doing a Chopped style competition for miniatures where you have certain paints and models and have to make it work. That's probably out of scope for this year though. Some real life stuff made me scale back on how much we were putting in here. (As a secret aside, we plan on doing a real painting competition next year. Same story, we were going to do it this year, but life.)

I was thinking more Iron Chef, given the grandeur of the setting we have available. But yeah, theme rounds would be cool!

3 hours ago, RobynMM said:

Participant info:

I was going to ask about primer colour. Thanks for the info!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, WestRider said:

I was thinking more Iron Chef, given the grandeur of the setting we have available. But yeah, theme rounds would be cool!

I was going to ask about primer colour. Thanks for the info!

It's funny you mention IC. We were thinking of having the little covered trays for each station and then revealing when the timer starts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, PumpkinHead said:

First thing first.... I thought this was pretre... Second, heckling from painters to painters and drinking should be required. 

I plan on joining, I just don't plan on winning.

Lol - I am certainly on the fence about heckling, as long as everyone keeps it classy (cause classy trash talking is a thing 🤣). 

It’s anyones game to win and everyone’s time to have a blast!

3 hours ago, PourSpelur said:

This.

This right here will finally break my "show up late Friday or super early Saturday" OFCC tradition.

Bring your -A- game gentlemen, fast and moderately sloppy is my wheelhouse...just like your Mom on a Saturday night.

Anyone bringing their A game is getting left in the dust. This is all about a nice fast C game 😉

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, PourSpelur said:

This.

This right here will finally break my "show up late Friday or super early Saturday" OFCC tradition.

Bring your -A- game gentlemen, fast and moderately sloppy is my wheelhouse...just like your Mom on a Saturday night.

Noice. We're waiting for final confirmation, but just between you guys and the wall...

Shadespire's going to be Saturday night and we're going to be Friday. we're thinking of starting at 6, to give people working time to get there and setup.