Starting Up Necromunda

fluger

So, I used a good chunk of my tax return to dive deep into Necromunda.

For me, Necromunda lives or dies on the terrain and so I plotted my plan for a long time.

Step 1:  The perfect Mat:

img-9376.jpg

Perfect Rusty Metal look from urbanmatz

Next:  Good, 3 Dimensional Terrain.

MDF is just the bee's knees.  

Got two of these:  

IMG_8167_1024x1024.jpg?v=1525027865

As well as 2 spiral staircases and extra walkways to connect them.

Then I got some scatter terrain and some generators

B.Power_Generator.Web_LRG_large_crop_cen

S.Vaporators.Web_LRG_large_crop_center.j

Then I also got a bunch of PVC pipes and fittings to make pipe lines that work as barricades and 3 big tube thingies that I'm going to use batting and little LED candles to make look like steam/smoke vents.  Photos to come.

Then I bought 2 of the gang boxes and 1 of the FW extra weapon sprues for my House Orlock gang and my son's Cawdor Gang.

Finally, I bought a bunch of 2mm magnets and a dremel bit so I can magnetize all the arms on these guys so I'm not stuck.

Its a LITTLE crazy, but I'm hoping this will be a gateway drug for my kids.

• Like 4

Love it! With 20 guys I'd build a fair few sans magnets (most of the basic gun gangers) to cut down on fiddly models. Focus on champions and leaders for the magnets.

Fyi for truly dense terrain don't scoff at the 2d. Tunnel fights are great for some cash and cawdor with their numbers and templates are quite good there. Orlock can hold their own too. I find that the best balance is to mix terrain types with each player picking as appropriate power the scenario selection section. Using one type to the exclusion of the other will lead to build quirks. Even the most dense 3d still has long range advantages while even the most open 2d favors close in. 

• Like 1

When it's time for me to build a 3D board, I'll definitely have to include some of Promethium Forge's can terrain. I like that the cans completely block LOS.

I also like the the guard rails are solid rather than simply rails. The solid rails justify a cover save.

I look forward to seeing what you do with all of this.

1534797207.9581-smiley.gif

• Like 1

I spent last night 'magnetizing' some of my Cawdor minis, using a pin vice to drill spotface holes.  I'm using 1.5 mm magnets and they are a tad too big for the Cawdor's spindly arms and wrists.  Where the arms meet the body is easy, because it's concealed by the shoulder drapes,  it's the wrists that are causing me the most grief.

Orlocks have thicker limbs, so the 2mm magnets may work, but if you plan to magnetize your Cawdor, you may need to buy smaller magnets. 

1 hour ago, Koyote said:

I spent last night 'magnetizing' some of my Cawdor minis, using a pin vice to drill spotface holes.  I'm using 1.5 mm magnets and they are a tad too big for the Cawdor's spindly arms and wrists.  Where the arms meet the body is easy, because it's concealed by the shoulder drapes,  it's the wrists that are causing me the most grief.

Orlocks have thicker limbs, so the 2mm magnets may work, but if you plan to magnetize your Cawdor, you may need to buy smaller magnets. 

[big bad swear word]

Well, good to know anyway, but that's frustrating since I already bought em.

Finally got all the stuff I ordered and I sat down to put models together last night, usually one of my favorite activities.  I'm no @Koyote or @PourSpelur when it comes to conversions, but I really love it. 

Well, I had really underestimated how hard it is to put models together with numb hands.  😞 After a frustrating 30 minutes I had ONE Cawdor put together.  

I'm a little depressed at this situation, and my grand plans seem wobbly now.  Fortunately, I see a neurologist in a few weeks and maybe I'll get a solution.

I'll keep plugging away until then I guess...

• Like 1

On 3/14/2019 at 7:32 AM, fluger said:

Finally got all the stuff I ordered and I sat down to put models together last night, usually one of my favorite activities.  I'm no @Koyote ...

Be thankful for that.  Last night I accidentally stabbed myself in the chest with a hobby knife.  1534797216.7399-smiley.gif

I have no f'ing clue how I did it.  I was at home, in my office, working on magnetizing my Cawdor when I fumbled my knife (must have rolled a '1').  I juggled the fallen knife for a second or two and the next thing I knew the xacto blade had gone through my hoodie, my t-shirt, and into my chest.  It stopped when it hit a rib.  Thank goodness it didn't stick into it the bone. I yanked it out and pulled up my shirt before it started to bleed.  The wound was quarter-inch long horizontal cut an inch to the left of my sternum.  I'm glad I didn't stick myself any further to the left because then it would have gone through a lot more muscle.  It bled quite a bit at first, but I applied direct pressure to it and it slowed enough for me to put a Mickey Mouse band aid on it and get back to work on my Cawdor.  Good times.  1534797210.22-smiley.gif

• Haha 1

While you may change a fighter's wargear (remember, grenades count as war gear), once you give a model a weapon, as a general rule, you may not voluntarily take it away.  The only exception that I am aware of is if you replace it with master-crafted weapon of the same type.

For Leaders and Champions this isn't a big deal, because they can have multiple fighter cards.  This doesn't let them get rid of weapons, but they can buy as many weapons as the gang can afford, and every game your Leaders and Champions can select up to 3 slots worth of weapons from each model's personal armory.   

For Gangers and Juves, it's different.  They can have only one fighter card, so they are always armed with all of the weapons they own, and once you've filled up their 3 weapons slots, you can't give them additional weapons.

This may or may not change how you've chosen to arm your Orlock Gangers and Juves, but If your plan is for your Champions to eventually sell their 130 credit heavy stubbers in order to pay for a different heavy weapon, you can't do it.  Unless you replace those heavy stubbers with master-crafted heavy stubbers, those credits are permanently spent and assigned to those Champions.

If you are looking for a good Basic Weapon for a Champion, consider the bolter.  It's hard to reload (so purchase a backup weapon), but their stats are really good.

4 hours ago, Koyote said:

While you may change a fighter's wargear (remember, grenades count as war gear), once you give a model a weapon, as a general rule, you may not voluntarily take it away.  The only exception that I am aware of is if you replace it with master-crafted weapon of the same type.

For Leaders and Champions this isn't a big deal, because they can have multiple fighter cards.  This doesn't let them get rid of weapons, but they can buy as many weapons as the gang can afford, and every game your Leaders and Champions can select up to 3 slots worth of weapons from each model's personal armory.   

For Gangers and Juves, it's different.  They can have only one fighter card, so they are always armed with all of the weapons they own, and once you've filled up their 3 weapons slots, you can't give them additional weapons.

I think the updated edition of Gangs of the Underhive changed that (Pg.119): "Should any fighter purchase new weapons or Wargear, old weapons or Wargear may be added to the Stash."

51 minutes ago, WestRider said:

2018. Also, I apparently wasn't paying attention and got the page reference wrong. 116 is the actual page. My page 119 matches yours.

That sentence on P.116 does appear to create a conflict.  Sometimes I wonder if there is a sociopath who works in GW's editing department who intentionally inserts contradictions and ambiguities into the rulebooks in order to frustrate players.

P.11 of Gangs of the Underhive states, three times, that fighters can change their "Wargear", but it doesn't say the same for weapons. 

P.11 also cites P.95 of the Necromunda Rulebook, where it states that: "Players are reminded that no fighter can discard a weapon once added to their Fighter card as described in the Gangs of the Underhive book."

The Master-Crafted Weapon rules on P.138 Gangs of the Underhive state that when a fighter replaces a weapon with a master crafted version and the original weapon may be discarded and added to the gang's stash.  The next sentence reads: "This is an exception to the norm."

P.93 of the Necromunda Rulebook states that you may recover the equipment (except for armor) of your dead gangers so long as one of your fighters was on the battlefield at the end of the end of the battle.

The quote you cited on P.116 makes sense when read together with the master crafted rule and the dead fighter rule.  However, because the sentence in question is a general statement and doesn't mention or suggest that there are only a couple of instances in which a fighter can discard weapons, the sentence certainly creates confusion.

1534797218.2935-smiley.gif