Picked up some more models. Looks like I'm going with the Combined Army faction, at least to start with. Not bothering with Sectorials at this stage.

Current list of owned models:

Raicho (HMG+Heavy Flamer, no pilot yet)

Charonid (Plasma Carbine)

Malignos (Combi-Rifle)

Med-Tech Obsidon Mechanoid 

Slave Drone (2)

Reasoning of purchases:

Charonid (new version) is an excelent looking model. He's also got a Lietenant + Hacker option, which seems good for a starter player. Also has the G: Mnemonica, which makes my lietenant much more survivable, which seems like a good thing for a new player.

Malignos has access to mines. I fundementally like land mines, at least in games (not sure if it extends to real life). He also has a Cube and can be Forward Observer, Hacker or Lietenant.

Raicho, I need to convert so he has mines. The old version has the mines, but the new model looks better, so I'll need to convert. Drops Heavy Flamer for Heavy Shotgun and Mine Dispenser (mine lobber, I love it). Raicho is also the only Combined TAG with a cube.

Med-Tech is both a Doctor and Engineer, and is a fieldable part of every Sectorial army (unlike the other models). He also has D-charges. So lots of mission value. Also has a cube.

Slave Drones come with the Med-Tech. Also the cheapest model in the army (3pts each). Good filler, also has mission value because they are G: Autotool. 

Model purchases also has to do with availibility at GG. Probably order some others online, but wanted to support locally too. 

Thats a pretty good start.

I'd probably recommend 1 or even 2 blisters of Imetron/Ikadrones.

The Slave Drone's don't provide orders (read G:Servant) so for 3 points you get a body that project's your med techs ability to engineer/dr across the board. (which is good but does not really provide "filler" at least as far as order pool is concerned)

Imetrons are 4 points and they provide orders (and not much else).

Ikadrones are very useful remotes, at 9 points they're still cheap and provide orders, but unlike imetrons they do work. Their repeater and flamer make them excellent at area denial.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Natetehaggresar said:

Thats a pretty good start.

I'd probably recommend 1 or even 2 blisters of Imetron/Ikadrones.

The Slave Drone's don't provide orders (read G:Servant) so for 3 points you get a body that project's your med techs ability to engineer/dr across the board. (which is good but does not really provide "filler" at least as far as order pool is concerned)

Imetrons are 4 points and they provide orders (and not much else).

Ikadrones are very useful remotes, at 9 points they're still cheap and provide orders, but unlike imetrons they do work. Their repeater and flamer make them excellent at area denial.

By filler, I just meant when the list totals to 295pts, I can buy something to fill those otherwise wasted points.

Also Imetrons aren't in all of the sectorial lists, while the slaves are.

I don't play CA so I can't give much advice but it's worth mentioning that the Shasvastii, a sectorial of the Combined Army and also available to the main faction, are getting a complete overhaul this year including rules and models. You might want to hold off on picking any of them up until they start previewing the new models. Of course this also means many, if not all, of the old sculpts will be discontinued. So if you do like the current Shasvastii sculpts or decide you like them better than the new ones after seeing them, you may want to look into hunting them down.

And it's the Ikadrons (and Unidrons) that have G: Autotool. The Slave Drones, while certainly still useful, are just G: Servant as mentioned by @Natetehaggresar

I wouldn't get too caught up on sectorials right now, just because your budding collection is already spread across all the faction. (Fwiw EI aspects don't work for any sectorials). Just play vanilla to start. 

You've got some good firepower right now, but you're seriously light on orders, and your also lacking in ablative armor/tools. The imetron blister is good for both, as would a box of daturazi. Smoke or camo are the two most powerful tools in infinity and daturazi are an excellent smoke platform.

(Smoke and camo are incredibly powerful because they allow your to pick and choose when/if you engage something. Sometimes it's far easier to smoke a hall way and walk in to a room to score and objective, then to engage whatever is attempting to stop you.)

I'm thinking that some of the responses imply that I'm really fond of the slave drones. The Med-tech and Slave Drones are sold as a set. I wanted the Med-tech. I like the drones, but I wouldn't have bought them solo.

Regarding Orders, I'm unclear how many is normal. I effectively have 4 models, at present. I'm thinking I should be able to bump that to 10 or so at the 300pt level. Is that light?

Also, you mentioned something about ablative armor. I haven't noticed an option there. Do you mean meatshields? Or is there actually a way to get disposable ARM bonuses.

By ablative armor I mean meat shields. 

A very common and useful way to deny access to an area is to place a model out of LoF watching a corner. If your opponent comes by blast him with a chain rifle/flamer etc. It's a very useful tool to deny your flank.

Expendable dudes with direct templates are ideal for this, such as daturazi or ikadrones.

10 dudes producing orders is pretty much the bare minimum at 300 points.

13 minutes ago, Natetehaggresar said:

10 dudes producing orders is pretty much the bare minimum at 300 points.

If 10 is the bare minimum, how many guys is normal at 300pts?

I mean, I could field a good 40+ models at 300pts, but I don't really think of infinity as that kind of game. It's a skirmish game like kill team, not 40k at low points (like combat patrol). 

Everybody has different preferences, based on missions, factions, and personal play style.

I like 10 orders in one pool and 1-2 regular orders in a second + some chaff in vanilla nomads. 

When I play vanilla Aleph I generally like 10 orders plus 1-3ish support models in group 2. On the other hand @Exile tends to run 10 + ~6 when I see him play vanilla aleph.

CA is a on the elite in for sure, more like Aleph.

Infinity games last 3 rounds, if you start with 10 orders and don't suffer any casualties, you have a cap of 30 orders. Realistically you're gonna loose guys. Having a few extra guys in the second pool to refill loses using command tokens helps you to retain the orders you need for your elite models to do their job. If you have a really small list, say 8 guys, go second and suffer a few casualties before you even start, you're going to be hamstrung.

10 orders is viable, and even gets some perks thrown at it in standard missions, but it requires you to keep a laser focus on the misson, and to know how to use all the extra gear and stats on your units optimally. As a new player its a steep learning curve. Even just a few extra guys really helps.

I don't want to over emphasize list building, infinty is far less list dependant that other games I've played. I don't think you can really break the game or netlist in infinity, the interplay between mission, terrain, and your opponent is too complex, and I think you won't find a generally accepted list of good or bad armies or factions. BUT, like in any game you can list build yourself into an uphill situation, and since you're also talking about what you want to PURCHASE, I thought I should point you early on to some staples that you will find useful. (an extra pro of some cheap guys is that you can toss them in wherever, expensive models define your list). 

For instance the smoke and chain rifle, and to a lesser extent martial arts, will allow a daturazi to fulfill useful roles in the game, that other units you already posses can't. I would reccomend getting daturazi over say morat vanguard as an initial purchase because vanguard don't do much that something nastier with a HMG, like your tag, don't already do better. Vanguard have a place, especially in MAF where they can link, but as you currently are working with a vanilla collection, Dats would be very useful to round out points/orders. (as would the mentioned many times ikadrone/imetron blister). Both of those units are work horses in vanilla that would well support your heavier hitters, by watching their backs, and funneling them orders.

Pretas/Gakis are really amazing chaff, but they are irregular so don't provide support to the order pool, they don't round out the list in the same way, but would be a good addition.

I would also consider the regular Drones box (Q, M, and other letters) as a staple.

Picked up the morat starter (and ordered a haiduk on eBay). Between that and what I already have, that'll have to be my list because I am not buying anything more this month.

logo_602.png Morat Starter
──────────────────────────────────────────────────

GROUP 1sep.gifsep.giforden_regular.png7  
logo_6.pngRAKTORAK Combi Rifle + Heavy Flamethrower / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 23)
logo_9.pngRAICHO MULTI HMG + Heavy Flamethrower / . (2 | 89)
 sep.giflogo_9.pngRAICHO PILOT 2 Heavy Pistols, D-Charges, Knife. ()
logo_15.pngMED-TECH OBSIDON MEDCHANOID Combi Rifle, D-Charges / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 23)
logo_8.pngSOGARAT (Full Auto L2) Feuerbach / Assault Pistol, AP CCW. (1.5 | 67)
logo_1.pngMORAT Hacker (EI Hacking Device) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 22)
logo_1.pngMORAT Lieutenant Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (1 | 14)
logo_1.pngMORAT Paramedic (MediKit) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 16)
logo_20.pngSLAVE DRONE Electric Pulse. (0 | 3)
logo_20.pngSLAVE DRONE Electric Pulse. (0 | 3)

GROUP 2sep.gifsep.giforden_regular.png1  orden_irregular.png4  orden_impetuosa.png5
logo_12.pngOZNAT Combi Rifle + Light Smoke Grenade Launcher / Pistol, Shock CCW. (0 | 18)
logo_13.pngGAKI AP CCW. (0 | 4)

5 SWC | 294 Points

Open in Infinity Army

I think I will push towards:

logo_601.png Combined v2──────────────────────────────────────────────────orden_regular.png10  logo_1.pngMORAT (Forward Observer) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 15)logo_1.pngMORAT (Forward Observer) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 15)logo_1.pngMORAT (Forward Observer) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 15)logo_23.pngHAIDUK Smart MULTI Sniper Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (2 | 23)logo_16.pngMED-TECH OBSIDON MEDCHANOID Combi Rifle, D-Charges / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 23)logo_11.pngMALIGNOS Combi Rifle, Monofilament Mines / Pistol, Knife. (1 | 38)logo_7.pngCHARONTID Lieutenant Hacker (Hacking Device Plus) Plasma Rifle, Nanopulser / Heavy Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 73)logo_36.pngÍMETRON . (0 | 4)logo_36.pngÍMETRON . (0 | 4)logo_8.pngRAICHO MULTI HMG + Heavy Flamethrower / . (2 | 89) sep.giflogo_8.pngRAICHO PILOT 2 Heavy Pistols, D-Charges, Knife. () 5.5 SWC | 299 PointsOpen in Infinity Army