WiseKensai's Battle Reports

WiseKensai

Since some of the folks here hang out exclusively here, and I've had requests for battle reports here, I'll start posting my stuff here. I'll start with the Best of the Pacific Northwest. If you're interested in more, you can go to mercrecon.net directly and poke around. I organize things by army/mission so you can find what you're looking for, hopefully.

Best of the Pacific Northwest -- Day 1
Game 1 - Miscounted the Men
Mission: Show of Force
Forces: JSA versus USARF (300)
Game 2 - Into the Crevasse
Mission: Unmasking
Forces: JSA versus NCA (300)
Game 3 - I want to go to there
Mission: Acquisition
Forces: JSA versus Tohaa (300)

Best of the Pacific Northwest -- Day 2
Game 4 - I am a JEDI!
Mission: Decapitation
Forces: JSA versus HB (300)
Game 5 - I'm Reaganing, Lemon
Mission: Frontline
Forces: JSA versus SEF (300)

Blitzed through another battle report. Someone wanted a game the day after a two day tournament, and I didn't want to leave them hanging...

Kitsune, Gardener of Artichokes
Mission: Deadly Dance
Forces: JSA versus Tohaa (300)

We were practicing for an upcoming Deadly Dance showdown, so I cobbled together something from the minis that I hadn't unpacked from Best of the PNW. Not the most nuanced game, but there are some takeaways about how to defend against Kitsune.

Isaac gave me a great game with his VIRD counts as NCA (in terms of playstyle) versus my JSA. Lots of good metagame and personal growth lessons for myself. I didn't explore all of the stuff, but I'll work it in as I digest it more over the next few games. I'm trying to clear my battle report log so I can get back to painting for Adepticon.

Running on Fumes
Mission: Power Pack
Forces: JSA versus VIRD (300)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Since both Best of the Pacific Northwest canceled our usual Saturday tournament in Sherwood, Oregon, I ran a Showdown, Soldiers of Fortune, Deadly Dance tournament during the weekly game nights at Portland Game Store and Glimpses of Wonder and Warfare to make up for it.

I took a named character only Ariadna list, which we're calling the Unexpenables because the only way you can defend with them is to piece trade, and you definitely don't want to do that at all. What's worse is I was facing CHA across the table...

The Unexpendables
Mission: Deadly Dance
Forces: Ariadna versus CHA (300, Soldiers of Fortune)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Had a great practice game of Supplies with my JSA versus @Zelaponeepus's HB. I made some minor mistakes that snowballed throughout the game, and wrote a long (hopefully not but likely rambling) report about it. Definitely feels like I'm getting in my own way a lot in recent games...

Avalanche Trigger
Mission: Supplies
Forces: JSA versus HB (300)

Feedback welcome.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Took JSA to Adepticon 2019, faced ISS, OSS, USARF, and TAK. Took a pretty middling list and used it through the whole tournament. Was happy with my usage of the Shikami in most cases, and had a great time.

Adepticon 2019 - ITS Championship Tournament Report
Game 1 - Whammy
Forces: JSA versus ISS (300)
Game 2 - The Legend of Rhonda Burgundy
Mission: Decapitation
Forces: JSA versus OSS (300)
Game 3 - Super Jump Delight
Mission: Supplies
Forces: JSA versus USARF (300)
Game 4 - The Grand Melee
Mission: Firefight
Forces: JSA versus TAK (300)

All in all, placed 7th out of 50 or so. I'll take it. Thanks for reading!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Two games of Foreign Company in now. Definitely a long way to go, but it's not their fault. They've got some interesting options for Looting and Sabotaging, which is a very punishing mission, especially against a strong board-control faction like HB. Thanks to @Zelaponeepus for a great game.

Foreign Footed
Mission: Looting and Sabotaging
Forces: Foreign Company versus Hassassin Bahram (300)
  • Like 2

Third try at Looting and Sabotaging with Foreign Company. New list this time around, against a pretty monstrous 18 order Dashat list out of @thediceabideDefinitely an uphill battle, but starting to get a feel for ForCo and how they play.

Foreign Time's the Charm
Mission: Looting and Sabotaging
Forces: Foreign Company versus Dashat Company (300)

Finally got around to putting my ISS on the table for the first time. Had a great game versus Hasassins which was just _fun_. If you or someone you know has problems with loss of lieutenant, check this game out.

Imperial Fun Police
Forces: Imperial Service versus Hassassin Bahram (300)

Thanks to @Zelaponeepus for a kickass game.

Thanks to @TheDiceAbide for my first game of Tohaa and for helping me to assemble them! Definitely going to have a great time playing Tohaa, although I think I'll be army hopping for the near future...

Can of WhoopArtichokes
Mission: Transmission Matrix
Forces: Tohaa versus Dahshat Company (300)

His Dahshat list was pretty hackable, and he was playing Transmission Matrix against Tohaa so... yay for him?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Helping @Zelaponeepus practice for Rose City Raid on the airplane crash table, which is full of low-vis/saturation zones and difficult terrain zones. Back to my Nomad roots too, but this time in Bakunin with a Lizard versus his HB. Thanks to @thediceabide for helping me convert up an Anaconda to use too!

Bak-unin the Saddle
Forces: Jurisdictional Command of Bakunin versus Hassassin Bahram (300)

Got in a game with a new player at game night. He's only three games in but plays like he's a few months of regular play in! Definitely excited to see more of Justin's Ariadna on the table. He has MRRF too, which means we're best friends already!

There's Always a Hole
Forces: Ariadna versus USAriadna Ranger Force

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

More Colorado Krug prep with Dan and his IA! He's got some serious home turf advantage on a table he designed with  @thediceabide and I'm loving games on this corridor table. A great first game with Spiral for me, and I think it was Dan's first game of Rescue and against Spiral too!

Tunnel Rats
Mission: Rescue
Forces: Spiral versus IA (300)

• Like 2

Our local NCA->Steel->HB player,  , has started messing around with Ramah. I agreed to be his sparring opponent for a relaxed Friday night game. Up until this point, I had yet to put Tunguska on the table, so I figured I'd even the odds by also playing a brand new (to me) sectorial in a game of Tic Tac Toe!

Flash! Ahh!
Mission: Tic Tac Toe
Forces: Tunguska versus Ramah (300)

A new game, a new faction!  @Zelaponeepusand I both were trying new sectorials in our previous game, and apparently we both thought to do it again! I'm taking my Druze out for their inaugural apperance and @Zelaponeepus is finally playing vanilla Haqq! Rough game, but it comes down to the wire!

Mukhtar Mama Jama!
Mission: Safe Area
Forces: Druze versus Haqqislam (300)

• 4 weeks later...

Sigh. I thought the day would never arrive, but thanks to Corvus Belli's business model and the arrival of ForCo as a NA2 faction... here's my first game of NCA. Mistakes were made! 

Journey Towards the Dark Side
Forces: NeoTerran Capitaline Army versus Haqqislam (300)

Thanks to @Zelaponeepus for being my PanO sherpa.

• Thanks 1

Took NCA to their first tournament. This one took awhile to write, and these games still don't sit well with me. Hopefully the writeup is helpful for others.

Raucous August Tournament Report
Game 1 - Bye
Mission: Tic-Tac-Toe
Game 2 - Welcome to PanO
Forces: NCA versus NCA (300)
Game 3 - Hyperpower Hubris
Mission: Safe Area
Forces: NCA versus Haqqislam (300)