Ancient question

Is destroyed the same as slain? If my marines overcharge and are slain, do they get bonus shots for being within range of a chapter/company Ancient (who gives said bonuse shots when they are destroyed)?

Games Workshop has never cared for consistent language in their rules and have never really tried to implement it.

8th Edition (as much as I love their prompt FAQs) seems to be their "[big bad swear word] it, they'll figure out what we meant" coming out party. Every deep strike rule being called a different thing with subtle variations in the wording, many nuanced forms of command point regeneration, etc.

They've gotten away from universal special rules which is definitely nice for finding all the rules on the appropriate dataslate. The only problem is they took it too far, and now you MUST look at the data slate because while you're 95% sure you know the slight variation of whatever rule, that 5% matters and it isn't safe to assume. 

I know language templates and disciplined word use are a pain to implement and adhere to for a rules writing team, but that extra work up front saves a lot of work cleaning things up later.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, paxmiles said:

Well, so much for me pating myself on the back for the good idea. Still, thanks for answering my question.

It's still a good idea. Definitely worth the pat if you found it on your own and had no outside influence. 

Many tricks out there if you look and many people to discuss them with if you were inclined to

• Like 1