Cities of Death Narrative Campaign

Lyraeus

"War is eternal and no one is safe."

With war raging all over the Planet, the Hive Cities are no longer protected. Cults of Genestealers and their followers kurk below, savage Orks race across the wasteland, heretics prowl the street and the threat of chaos surrounds us. Even the Emperor's Angles of Death and his Holy Regiments of Astra Militarum can do so much in the wake of these numerous foes. 

Now, fighting as breached the walls of the Hive City and the streets are filled with Xeno, Heretic, and Loyalists alike battling it out for control over the Hive. 

What is this:

This is a narrative campaign based on one of the many planets in the Imperium in one of the many Hive Cities dominating the landscape of that planet. 

Cities of Death is located in the Chapter Approved 2018 and has various rules similar to Kill Team. Models can be obscured, there are various types of cover and having the high ground is important for shooting. 

We will also be adding in the Battle Honours system allowing your force to gain experience and grow stronger. 

Characters can also gain experience and each time they reach a level of advancement they get a single ability off the Character advancement. 

Each player will have a small area of territories to start. These will grow as time goes on. Each player can make 1 attack each week. Players should organize those games on the forums when possible. 

When is this:

This league will be running from April 2nd to June 30th

Special Considerations:

Due to the way the Battle Honours system Works players will be responsible for tracking the experience of their units as well as maintaining a roster. It is recommended to keep a single thread post with the units you have brought to the conflict and what experience they have. You do not need more than just names however as this is a Narrative Campaign and Power Level is used to determine game size instead of points. 

Added Rules:

Due to terrains importance in a Cities of Death Campaign, tables will need 4 large pieces of terrain and 4 small pieces of terrain. You do want terrain with various heights as well. 

With Cities of Death roads and pathways can give you extra movement (unless you have the Fly Keyword) due to many mats having limited roads, we will consider all non terrain features area as to have a road or pathway. So if your entire unit is on the mat itself (or other gaming surface if you don't use a mat) and states entirely on the mat at all times for that movement (the entire base/model) it will gain the extra movement benefits but it is considered out in the open. 

Game Sizes:

Cities of Death is unique in that you can play roughly any size game. From Kill Team to Apocalypse there is no limit. However due to time and people learning the changes to the rules for this variation of 40k there will be a set Power Level Amount for the first 2 weeks. This campaign due to Battle Honours will not use Kill Team sized games but if you want to play a game of 10 PL feel free. 

Week 1: 50 Power Level

Week 2: 65 Power Level

After that just follow the mission posted as they are on the forums, agree with your opponent what size Game you want to play and roll them dice! 

If anyone has any questions or comments please post them and I can review them and make changes where it is needed. 

• Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, Lyraeus said:

With Cities of Death roads and pathways can give you extra movement (unless you have the Fly Keyword) due to many mats having limited roads, we will consider all non terrain features area as to have a road or pathway. So if your entire unit is on the mat itself (or other gaming surface if you don't use a mat) and states entirely on the mat at all times for that movement (the entire base/model) it will gain the extra movement benefits but it is considered out in the open.

Roads don't sound hard or expensive to make. Should organize a terrain day where we make Roads for the clubhouse.

I'm thinking thin wood or thick plasicard, sand + elmer's glued on for texture, then sprayed black, drybrushed grey, and then lanes painted on.

3" wide seems like a good lane size for 40k. So make a mix of single and multiple lane roads. Sidewalks/pedestrian paths could be fun too.

23 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

Roads don't sound hard or expensive to make. Should organize a terrain day where we make Roads for the clubhouse.

I'm thinking thin wood or thick plasicard, sand + elmer's glued on for texture, then sprayed black, drybrushed grey, and then lanes painted on.

3" wide seems like a good lane size for 40k. So make a mix of single and multiple lane roads. Sidewalks/pedestrian paths could be fun too.

It's more not all game Mats have them and adding them on top means more thj gs can get nudged, shifted, harder to place all models, etc

1 minute ago, Lyraeus said:

It's more not all game Mats have them and adding them on top means more thj gs can get nudged, shifted, harder to place all models, etc

You can add stuff to the bottom of terrain so it's harder to nudge.

And you'll find that placing all models without issues is much easier when not fielding a horde army...your deaf-watch should be able to deploy rather quickly, without worry about bumping things.

6 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

You can add stuff to the bottom of terrain so it's harder to nudge.

And you'll find that placing all models without issues is much easier when not fielding a horde army...your deaf-watch should be able to deploy rather quickly, without worry about bumping things.

So, people should only play armies that fit the terrain 

1 minute ago, Lyraeus said:

So, people should only play armies that fit the terrain 

This is not an attack. No attack here.

Was just pointing out that the concern regarding terrain limiting model deployment/placement is more a horde issue than one of the game in general. Obviously, you are allowed to bring whatever the rules allow you to bring.

That said, there is definitely a logistical component to list creation based on deploy zones and model/unit sizes. For example, I'm sure you can legally field like 500 grots (or gaunts or cultists or guardsmen), but at a certain point, you might not have deployment zone space to field the army. Plus not all events/tournaments will allow you to remove terrain pieces that obstruct your deployment zone because your army doesn't fit. At a certain point, you might need to look into reserves/transports/reinforcements if the army can't easily fit in your deployment zone.

On a side note, a while back I was experimenting with fielding that Fortress of Redemption fortification (6e). Aside from transportation issues getting to and from game stores, the main issue with the fortification is how large it is with regards to deployment zones. Quite often, I would have no legal placement for the fortification due to it being bigger than my deploy zone, despite it being a legal model for the event I was playing in. I'd get special permission to deploy with parts of it hanging out of my deployment zone, or permission to move/remove terrain pieces. And it really wasn't very impressive a unit, so it wasn't a balance concern. That said, if I were the TO/event organizer, I'd probably ban my fortification model and any others than can't fit in the deployment zone.

1 hour ago, paxmiles said:

This is not an attack. No attack here.

Was just pointing out that the concern regarding terrain limiting model deployment/placement is more a horde issue than one of the game in general. Obviously, you are allowed to bring whatever the rules allow you to bring.

That said, there is definitely a logistical component to list creation based on deploy zones and model/unit sizes. For example, I'm sure you can legally field like 500 grots (or gaunts or cultists or guardsmen), but at a certain point, you might not have deployment zone space to field the army. Plus not all events/tournaments will allow you to remove terrain pieces that obstruct your deployment zone because your army doesn't fit. At a certain point, you might need to look into reserves/transports/reinforcements if the army can't easily fit in your deployment zone.

On a side note, a while back I was experimenting with fielding that Fortress of Redemption fortification (6e). Aside from transportation issues getting to and from game stores, the main issue with the fortification is how large it is with regards to deployment zones. Quite often, I would have no legal placement for the fortification due to it being bigger than my deploy zone, despite it being a legal model for the event I was playing in. I'd get special permission to deploy with parts of it hanging out of my deployment zone, or permission to move/remove terrain pieces. And it really wasn't very impressive a unit, so it wasn't a balance concern. That said, if I were the TO/event organizer, I'd probably ban my fortification model and any others than can't fit in the deployment zone.

First off you are considering this as a standard set of games. That's not the case. 

This is narrative play with an attacker and a defender and reserves are standard. Because this isn't a Match Play game many match play rules (rule of 3, turn 2 reserves, etc) are not actually affecting game play

Not all games will be 2k either so there is a level of assumptions going on here that does not qualify. 

19 minutes ago, Salty Monkey said:

is there any restrictions on units?

i.e.Knights?

Sure, just be aware it's PL and it's likely not going to be enough for more than a detachment of maybe just a Crusader or so to start. 

Obscured models will be harder to hit as well so your efficiency will be decreased 

On 3/17/2019 at 12:01 PM, paxmiles said:

@Burk is the terrain czar this year.   Feel free to reach out to him about when terrain days will be scheduled and how you can get involved. I’m sure critique of club terrain, recommendations of new aquisitions, etc would be valued as well.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, naosuke said:

Is it possible to partake in only some of the missions? I ask, because I don't know for sure that I can agree to an every other week commitment, but I would still be interested in stopping by some game nights to play if that's allowed.

That a fine. Come to play and have fun

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MexicanNinja said:

Is there room available for this still?  I haven't played a game in a long while but this sounds interesting and it would be nice to get my blood angels out and painted up.

Yup. The more the merrier. First game will be free form(ish)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paxmiles said:

Any limitation on number of detachments in that 50pl?

Also, are special characters able to earn battle honors?/Are special characters allowed at all?

Special Characters can not. They have their own Honours. You can bring them. 

50pl is about 1k in points so 2 detachments on a 4x4 board

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, weeks 1 and 2 are going great... I personally have lost both of my. Games so that's how you know its going great ^_^

Some addendum to the Battle Honours, if in Close Combat if multiple of your units fight and one of the enemy units in close combat with your units is destroyed, all units that attacked that unit count that kill. 

Remember Non Unique Characters can gain Battle Honours. They just get it from the Character selection each time they gain a rank.