NM, old thread

Dark Trainer

On 3/20/2019 at 9:03 PM, Dark Trainer said:

Have a college student struggling with cash flow, wondering if anyone had Tau or guard they're selling. He's considering starting either of those. 

Trying to avoid retail initially.

Guard is a terrible army for college students. Easily the most expensive army in the game, and often requires the most time to paint.

The TAU GW starter set is a great deal, even at it's increased $95 price point. https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Start-Collecting-Tau-Empire-2017

or Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Games-Workshop-Collecting-Empire-Warhammer/dp/B01A6RL08C/ref=sr_1_1?crid=YF8Q4DE6KNKJ&keywords=tau+start+collecting&qid=1553879117&s=gateway&sprefix=tau+start%2Caps%2C214&sr=8-1

In that, you get 2 troops (5 man squads of fire warriors), 3 Crisis suits (which can be HQs or elites), an Ethereal (HQ), and about 8 drones (which can attach to other units or be their own fast slot). Two of those and you have a Battalion.

That said, TAU is a hard army to learn as a new player and gains animosity from some players. I strongly suggest pushing your new player towards some flavor of marines - I know, <sigh> marines, but they really do have the best learning army and they require less models and their models are super easy to acquire.

Speaking of, it your player doesn't mind really dated models. There are enough Marines in the WOW bits bin to create most of an infantry army. And they've been sitting there for quite a while...Access to the WOW bin is only a $30 membership to Ordo. Then buy new models slowly at retail (or more used stuff). Ideally they should give back bits to the bin at some point, too.

@dalmer is also selling those burning for prospero marines and terms. Those would be a pretty solid starting point. Could probably haggle him for 50% of retail and it would be an amazing starting army. Those marines look great and are very fun kits.

1 hour ago, Dark Trainer said:

He's stated he wants to sit back and shoot. Gun line is his thing and style. Thus tau is what i recommended too. I had just seen some Guard armies on ebay that were a good deal.

Your call. I find TAU have trouble being a stationary gunline, plus I've found them to be tough for new players to learn.

What about Knights (Imperial or Renegade)? Probably cheaper than guard and they should be an easier army to learn. Can definitely sit back and shoot with knights (especially the renegade ones, as they can double up on the ranged weapons).

Imperial Guard (Astra Militarum) is still a good option, but if he's mostly devoted to college in time and money, it can be an especially tough army.

I've not really seen the rules, but you might be able to make a Genestealer Cults Gunline.

Marines can be a gunline too, but you are paying for them to be good at other things, so they aren't optimal being dedicated to a single phase of the game.