OFCC Pods list

Hoping to get some feedback on the list I plan on running at OFCC. I've never attended the event before, and wanted to make sure my list isn't going to cause any problems. Thanks in advance!

Chapter Tactics: Ultramarines

HQ:

Master of the forge (90)

Elites:

Sternguard squad (195)

-5-man, 4x combi-plasma, drop pod

Troops:

Tactical Squad (125)

-Meltagun, combi-melta, drop pod

Tactical Squad (125)

Tactical Squad (125)

Tactical Squad (130)

-Plasmagun, combi-plasma, drop pod

Tactical Squad (130)

Tactical Squad (130)

Fast atk:

Stormtalon Gunship

-Skyhammer missle launcher

Stormtalon Gunship

-Skyhammer missle launcher

Heavy Support:

Thunderfire Cannon (100)

Thunderfire Cannon (100)

Knights Detachment:

Gerantus, the forgotten knight (500)

Keep in mind that this is a friendly event. You want friendly lists that will allow you to have a good game while avoiding a rock-paper-scissors type match up. You want your team to build a number of lists that will allow your captain to assign each person to someone on the other team without creating these bad matchups. 

• Like 2

List rating is different every year depending on event rules and ppl on the rating committee.

Take the weakest list you have played against. Now build a list that will be fun for them to play against. That's a 1.

Take a list that has some tools and maybe a tough unit or two. Now build a list that you will have to work to win against. Thats a 2.

Take a list that ripped yer guts out and threw them on the floor in front of you. Now build a list that you think will counter it. That's a 3.

Hope this helps. And please remember its always subjective so my ideas can be different then the rating committee's.

• Like 2

From the original post on the Team Event

"

Updated info 06/20/2014

40K OFCC Army lists

Armies will be 2000 points and constructed from all current material available as of 8/1/2014."

so weird as it may be, unless BigTal changes that statement, some of the SW supplements/dataslates will be out before the codex itself and will be considered usable while the new codex will not.

Blame GW for their weird as hell marketing kick they've been on lately.

So, in an attempt to make a more friendly list, here's an updated list for your consideration. Thanks again for all the input and help for someone who's never been to the event. 

Chapter tactics: Imperial Fists

HQ

Pedro Kantor

Chapter master

-Artificer armor, thunderhammer, shield eternal

Honor Guard squad

-5 man, 4 relic blades, 1 thunder hammer, banner, drop pod

Elites:

Sternguard

-5 man, 2 combi-plasma, drop pod

Sternguard

-5 man, 4 combi-plasma, drop pod

Troops:

Tactical squad

-5 man, melta, combi-melta, drop pod

Tactical squad

Tactical squad

Tactical squad

Heavy Support

Devastator squad

-4x heavy bolters

Devastator squad

-4x heavy bolters

Devastator squad

-4x Lascannon

Fortification

Ageis defence line w/ quad gun

My knee jerk response is still to put it at a 3.  I haven't played 7th edition, so take that into consideration with what I have to say.

My reasons for still rating it "hard" is largely based on the Min-Maxing of units and the cookie cutter template.  I don't mean to be discouraging, just my knee jerk response.  

Perhaps some of the more qualified individuals can address either my concerns, showing where I am overreacting to a metagame from previous editions, OR have some good feedback on where to combine units/alter things in a way that still gets the base you are going for, but in a softer fashion.  

Yeah I've been struggling to get my pods list into shape for ofcc and I'm a captain. Try taking smallest number you can, the last list is getting there, in my opinion. Make those 5 man squads in troops, full strength with heavy weapons. Invest remaining points in toys. Most tourney lists know boyz over toys, ofcc to me is the opposite take those toys you get excited about that you ultimately learn are not as effective as they should be.

Actually looked again and you do have some toys! Missed the honor guard first time. How big are the devestator squads? Maybe invest a few points for bodies there or more flyer defense.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'd love to field the 7 pods I've got painted up, as well as those H.B. devs that usually sit on the shelf. Unfortunately, the only flyer defence I own is a pair of stormtalons, which seem to be frowned upon, and the quad gun. As far as "min-maxing" goes, what would you suggest for someone who only has about 50 marine models at his disposal? I've always been one of those collectors who buys a squad at a time and gets it painted before buying something else, and the number of models at my disposal is a bit low compared to some people. Also should note I'm the captain for our group of OFCC newbs, so any captain-y advice would be much appreciated. :)

• Like 1

As far as captaincy advise make sure over your team you have different strengths, don't go with all rock type lists in the team. Your list is strong on the ground and weakest against air, make sure you have a team mate that can give a heavy flying list trouble but not crush it.stuff like that. Course teammates being what they are you might have model restrictions! Try your best trust others to do the same, roll dice, have fun!

Just read through this, I'd rate that list as a 3, especially in light of how well Space Marines fared at BAO.  Also, one of the constant things about OFCC is that people go in there with an idea of the list ratings system and then get confused or flustered about ratings of lists that they saw at OFCC.  

I'm prepared for the annual, post-OFCC string of posts about how List X and List Y were mis-rated and how that made the event suck.  

I'll quote magnusthetraitor from a different thread on this section:

The thing with ratings is that no matter what number that total strangers give you, it will not mesh with your perceptions of how you believe the list should rate based on your own experiences with the models that make up the list.

Please remember that the list raters are doing the best they can, and that the ultimate goal of the OFCC is to do everything possible to ensure that every attendee has 5 great games.  That's a quixotic goal if I ever heard of one, but it IS the goal.  Attitude is everything at OFCC.  

• Like 3