OFCC 2015 Ideas

I know it is really early to start a real discussion but after watching this OFCC preparations from this year I can't help but feel bad for the Organizers. So I just wanted to throw out some ideas. (Some of which I know are already coming.)

Swedish Comp. From all the lists that were rejected and issues getting players in line to what the OFCC weekend is about this has to happen. It gives players a solid format to follow and makes the job easier for organizers to check lists without a rating committee.

Lists deadline earlier, for real. So they pushed back the deadline because the community complained they didn't have enough time to get their lists figured out. Well again up till last week there were some teams that were still working on their lists, due to redoing them or just really late, so this is just needed. I know it puts pressure on players get it done sooner but there is just too many that are making this harder than needed.

Smaller Teams. 4 players sounds like a good time but many teams had issues where one or two players had to drop due to life issues. It happens but trying to fill those spots and get the full four players just seemed a bigger issue than I thought it was going to be. A two man or three man team would be easier to fill spots with still having a team.

Getting the Captains to be more responsible. I know this is all connected to the issues mentioned above but as a captain of a team before it desolved, see point three, I see there needs to be more involvement of getting the team together and on the same page. But maybe is the other issues are worked out this may make this point invalid.

Now these are just my thoughts and ideas and nothing more, but from a spectator's prospective there needs to some changes for the good of the event. And I know the Senate is already aware of all of this. 

• Like 2

I think comp is mandatory for next year.  The discrepancy of the some the lists is glaring.

I like teams of 4.  I think smaller just wouldn't work in regards to overall team feel for me.

I think as a captain if you run into someone that isn't being reasonable you just need to let them go their own way.  "Thanks for offering to be on the team, but we have decided to go another way with the team this year".  I'm sorry if that would hurt someone's feelings, but the whole point of the OFCC is a FRIENDLY group of games between FRIENDLY people.  If you can't get that through in your army list, you may not be taking the FRIENDLY path.

If you're going to have a comp system, it needs to be something players can work twords, and know the target they're shooting at. This deadline doesn't need to change. A lot of lists were set in and the Raters didn't start getting them until more than two weeks after many of them were sent in.

Also, the scenarios need to be streamlined. I understand the want for quirky scenarios but this year is bordering on silly.

I would also like to see us go back to making matchups for round one, and then doing further match ups based on how teams go. That way the match ups self adjust.

Well it was announced today; 2400 points, Swedish Comp with a score between 10-18, No Forge World but Special Characters from the Army Books are happening. Other things are also going to happen depending on what happens with 9th, if that is out by then.

Looks like it will be a great time.

Also Democracy is dead.

Almost forgot the important part, List Deadlines are going to be enforced hard witg severe penalties. I guess out of 90 some players only 72 list were in by the time OFCC got started Saturday.??!!...!?

I was wondering how it was announced already. Unless that was a satire post.

AgentP announced it to the captains today. Giving everyone the heads up.

So unless there is a shakeup AgentP already made the announcement, with Raindog present, publicly to the Captains. Not secret information here.

Now this obviously can change and can be taken as a rumor but this seemed like information they want out so players will know what to expect.

Announced or not, I'm pretty sure the HoG is selected each year from a set of applicants, and will have some say in exactly how it all shakes out.

That said, I think most all the things being mentioned sound good, with some additional comments

1) Swedish Comp (10-18): yes, but I would add, Captains still required to watch for attempts to build R/P/S armies under the comp system, and also a list review committee... no system is perfect so it's worth a review of some kind to look for specific builds that will make for games that are mostly decided before deployment.

- what about a max comp total for a team, such as 60?  Seems necessary to keep team vs. team matchups as fair as possible, and puts the onus on the Captain to manage the team.

2) Less whacky scenarios sounds great to me, I don't think most of the players there need that much "mixing it up" to make it fun... is everyone really bored of normal WFB?! :)  Oh and  I also despise the you-deploy-full/I-deploy-fully scenarios but maybe that's just me

3) Totally agree that the first round can be challenge round but after that needs to move to swiss so that we get the stronger teams and armies fighting each other sooner

4) Strict list deadlines are a must.  If a captain doesn't want to risk getting in lists late, simply set an earlier internal deadline for your own team's lists, to provide some slack.  It's not that complicated, it's called a deadline for a reason :)

As I said in my other post, most of all it's important to say thanks for an awesome event and you guys all ROCK!

Nathan

• Like 1

My thoughts and comments.

I like the idea of no Forge World (including Chaos Dwarves).  They are just not thought through well in regards to rules and "fun" in regards to what an OFCC list should be.

Swedish comp or some other form of comp is clearly needed.  I like Nathan's thoughts on it and it mirrors my own.  Set a range 10-18 (middle of the road, but not too soft).  And yes some will try to game the system, so you still need someone to review the lists to remove the R-P-S armies. 

I didn't care for the wandering tower or the diagonal setups. King of the hill, Mr Lucky (my fav), Fort points are all good.  King of the hill gets a scrum going which is always fun to watch/play in my mind.  Mr Lucky is just a blast.  And having the fortitude points is great because it pushes people to take standards and more rounded units in my mind.

Deadlines are necessary and if a team can't make that they shouldn't bother playing in the OFCC.  I understand someone dropping at last minute and needing a replacement.  But whole teams not turning in lists til only a couple weeks out?  If they can't make the deadline, maybe this isn't the tourney for them. 

I really just want 5 great games to remember til the next year.  This year I had 2 great games, 2 ok (which is fine), and 1 horrible game.  And unfortunately, that makes this the worst OFCC yet for me. 

I think part of that goes back to comps.  More even teams make for much better games as both sides feel they have a chance in the game.

Just my two cents.

• Like 1

It worked like a vortex. It moves the full distance on artillery dice and any units along its path will take the hits. Then it moves until it is 1 inch away from a unit along the same path as it can't end it's move on top of a unit. If any units are "hit" by this extra move, they are unaffected by the tower. So yes, technically the tower could do 30+ wounds in a turn, but only if your units were lined up in such a way that they are all within the maximum move, and providing that the 8 or 10 is rolled on the artillery dice. Again, like a vortex template.

• Like 1

Be sure to complete the survey to get your opinions in then. Personally, I didn't see anything OP about the two chaos dwarf armies I faced. I also don't believe that they should be banned from OFCC since they are allowed at other official events. For one, the models are extremely cool and the armies were beautiful!

/agree

Be sure to complete the survey to get your opinions in then. Personally, I didn't see anything OP about the two chaos dwarf armies I faced. I also don't believe that they should be banned from OFCC since they are allowed at other official events. For one, the models are extremely cool and the armies were beautiful!

Well not saying I have a preference because I haven't played against them yet but there is a Swedish Comp value for them.

We will have to wait to see what the powers that be say about it.

Though looking at the comp ratings they are hit hard by the numbers. Players Will have to take Hobgoblins to keep the numbers in the list rating zone. Not sure if the lists there would make it next year if they ran the numbers.