Dimensional Cascade Forum 15
Ordo Alpha 16
Order of the Black Sheep 17
WCP: Vancouver 18
Ouroboros 19
Team Not Appearing in this Event 20
Team America: Warhammer Police - Stripes 21

• Like 2

Well there appears to be a flaw in the system, lets see where it is .... ok if you won your games you appear to have done poorly in the sports category, could it be that people that lose there games use sports as a way to strike back at people? I'd say so. I got 2 favourite opponent pins and I was playing the dreaded chaos dwarves lol. Listen the sports system is so clearly dis functional something needs to be done about it.

You can not mark down someone for sports because of the list they are playing, the list raters approved it.

You can not mark someone down for sports because you dice were bad

You can not mark someone down on sports because you yourself are a bad sport and conceded the game in anger

Yet I have a strong suspicion that these things are happening, I don't even think they are happening to me. I mean look at team Ordo Alpha, clearly a team that comes from the very origins of OFCC it's self is the last place team in sports. Something doesn't feel right.

I had 3 close contested games and 2 blow outs. Of the 3 close games I broke bread and win with John and mosses, and the last game I already have a grudge match sent for hamslamwhich with grayson in bellingham. The two blow outs I was talkative and empathetic to my opponent, however I did not disrespect them by trying to throw the game in order for them to feel better, I feel thats a bigger insult. One of my opponents even conceded his game turn 3 and i still gave him a 4 for sport because his dice were so bad and he didn't flip the table or call me names (he did however rant about chaos dwarfs for no reason) I suspect both these players likely marked me down and with no justification. So when the games close everyones happy, when dice [big bad swear word] the bed and you fail charges and miscast, well thats not "the game" lets see here did i enjoy that game... no hmm well i guess thats a 2 or a 1. It's so ridiculous it's not even funny. If someone marks a 1, it should be an immediate meeting of the coaches and an organizer, A 2 should come with a brief reason why. A 1 or a 2 should be a serious offence and cause for not being welcomed back. I'd like to know what OFCC is going to do about what is obviously an issue in the sporting score, or should we rename the sports scoring system to the "Best car salesman award" or "people who are good at being fake award"

My team is came 17th in sports, but thats not why I am pointing this out, I get pins every year, it's something I have observed and am reporting, I think it is a concern and as the event grows larger so will the problem is left unadressed.

• Like 3

Solid mid+ for Ordo Omega - nothing in the top 5 but nothing in the bottom half either. Good job!

As far as the Sports ranking, I don't know the details, but I'd place a solid bet that if the raw points for the teams were posted, it'd be very, very close for everyone, and I doubt there was a preponderance of 1's and 2's.

• Like 2

And as to lists: due to some measure of outcries and dissatisfaction with the system that was in place lists were reduced to pass/fail.

There were a number of rejections, many of which were sufficiently adjusted to the committee's satisfaction to fit in with the field. Others were eased down to what I would refer to as squeezing by, and these seemed to be done grudgingly.

I will not name names nor point fingers, but to imply all lists are a-ok because they were approved by the Rating Committee is a misrepresentation. There were obviously a wide variety of power levels across the lists, even within teams themselves. I don't think any ludicrous lists were present, but some were obviously better than some of the others.

• Like 2

I will not name names nor point fingers, but to imply all lists are a-ok because they were approved by the Rating Committee is a misrepresentation. There were obviously a wide variety of power levels across the lists, even within teams themselves. I don't think any ludicrous lists were present, but some were obviously better than some of the others.

Coming from the 40k side, I can endorse this thought.

I played a list that SHOULD have been a fail, but the LRC was not deep enough to recognize its power. I happen to know the army and the list well (as I play it!) and it is NOT one for OFCC. I am not alone on the 40k side in this assessment...

I guess next year I need to be on the LRC.

• Like 2

Well there appears to be a flaw in the system, lets see where it is .... ok if you won your games you appear to have done poorly in the sports category, could it be that people that lose there games use sports as a way to strike back at people? I'd say so. I got 2 favourite opponent pins and I was playing the dreaded chaos dwarves lol. Listen the sports system is so clearly dis functional something needs to be done about it.

You can not mark down someone for sports because of the list they are playing, the list raters approved it.

You can not mark someone down for sports because you dice were bad

You can not mark someone down on sports because you yourself are a bad sport and conceded the game in anger

Yet I have a strong suspicion that these things are happening, I don't even think they are happening to me. I mean look at team Ordo Alpha, clearly a team that comes from the very origins of OFCC it's self is the last place team in sports. Something doesn't feel right.

I had 3 close contested games and 2 blow outs. Of the 3 close games I broke bread and win with John and mosses, and the last game I already have a grudge match sent for hamslamwhich with grayson in bellingham. The two blow outs I was talkative and empathetic to my opponent, however I did not disrespect them by trying to throw the game in order for them to feel better, I feel thats a bigger insult. One of my opponents even conceded his game turn 3 and i still gave him a 4 for sport because his dice were so bad and he didn't flip the table or call me names (he did however rant about chaos dwarfs for no reason) I suspect both these players likely marked me down and with no justification. So when the games close everyones happy, when dice [big bad swear word] the bed and you fail charges and miscast, well thats not "the game" lets see here did i enjoy that game... no hmm well i guess thats a 2 or a 1. It's so ridiculous it's not even funny. If someone marks a 1, it should be an immediate meeting of the coaches and an organizer, A 2 should come with a brief reason why. A 1 or a 2 should be a serious offence and cause for not being welcomed back. I'd like to know what OFCC is going to do about what is obviously an issue in the sporting score, or should we rename the sports scoring system to the "Best car salesman award" or "people who are good at being fake award"

My team is came 17th in sports, but thats not why I am pointing this out, I get pins every year, it's something I have observed and am reporting, I think it is a concern and as the event grows larger so will the problem is left unadressed.

Actually no. You should not jump to conclusions. Sports was very high across the board. the lowest team averaged a sports score of 3.5. (70 points) There were only 2 1's given and both those were immediate discussions with whom gave it and action will be taken on them.  There were only about 5 2's.  so out of 420 possible ratings only 7 were below "OFFC" expectations.  I say that is a really good ration. 1.5%  I will take a 98.5% satisfaction ratio any day.

The difference is fav opponent pins.  they are what pushed teams way up.  with the highest teams getting 6 and 7 vs 1-2 pins.  

• Like 4

I don't buy the above theory. Looking at the battle scores 3 of the top 5 sports teams were right at the top third (top half for sure) of battle.

Top 5 In Battle, Sports placement listed beside:

Borderlands: Scylla 13

WCP: Hammered Heads 17

Order of the Black Sheep 20

Chop! 6

Ordo Alpha 20 

Other than chop (and man how can you compete with those guys, they have their own word!) if you won most  of your games you got less for sports. 1 of the top 5 in battle finished in the top half for sports and they were outside the top 5 in the category. If the difference was the Pins, as Burk just mentioned, (My team collected 4 and ended up 17th for sports) then the system needs to be revised. I would postulate that for the most part people give those pins to people they beat, rather than people who beat them. I'm not sure if we have data that can confirm or refute that, just going on my gut feeling. 

Full disclosure: was on WCP hammerheads, am one of those competitive Canadians  :smile:

• Like 1

Actually no. You should not jump to conclusions. Sports was very high across the board. the lowest team averaged a sports score of 3.5. (70 points) There were only 2 1's given and both those were immediate discussions with whom gave it and action will be taken on them.  There were only about 5 2's.  so out of 420 possible ratings only 7 were below "OFFC" expectations.  I say that is a really good ration. 1.5%  I will take a 98.5% satisfaction ratio any day.

The difference is fav opponent pins.  they are what pushed teams way up.  with the highest teams getting 6 and 7 vs 1-2 pins.

But assumptions are all we can be left with when everything is behind closed doors. Were the 1's over ruled? Are those players not welcome back? These questions are not unwarranted when things are not widely known.

If a questioned is being asked sometimes before an answer is given it is best to ask why the question is being asked.

Top 5 In Battle, Sports placement listed beside:

Borderlands: Scylla 13WCP: Hammered Heads 17

Order of the Black Sheep 20Chop! 6Ordo Alpha 20 

Other than chop (and man how can you compete with those guys, they have their own word!) if you won most  of your games you got less for sports. 1 of the top 5 in battle finished in the top half for sports and they were outside the top 5 in the category. If the difference was the Pins, as Burk just mentioned, (My team collected 4 and ended up 17th for sports) then the system needs to be revised. I would postulate that for the most part people give those pins to people they beat, rather than people who beat them. I'm not sure if we have data that can confirm or refute that, just going on my gut feeling. 

Full disclosure: was on WCP hammerheads, am one of those competitive Canadians  :smile:

My team won the Marshall Johnson award and our team had a 3-2 get one pin, a 0-5 get two and a 4-1 get 4. While your theory might be true for most events I don't think it holds true for the OFCC.

• Like 2

My team won the Marshall Johnson award and our team had a 3-2 get one pin, a 0-5 get two and a 4-1 get 4. While your theory might be true for most events I don't think it holds true for the OFCC.

And let's not ignore the fact that sports 1-2-5(3rd in actual points barring the tie) were 7-8-9 in battle. Further proof that your gut feeling might be something else

Hey Dave,

First congratulation to your team (Best sports correct?. )

to address your second point, the Warhamsters and DMB did indeed place first and second for sports, however the dimensional cascade forum placed 19th, its the podcast team that placed third.

so out of the top ten teams you had sports 1, 2 and 6, then 7 teams that were below the top half in sports. of those 7 teams 4 were in the bottom 5 for sports. I believe that data supports my argument overall. If you were in the top 5 for battle you had a 3/5 chance of being in the bottom 5 for sports. If you were in the top 10 for battle you had a 7/10 chance of being the the bottom half for sports. 

Your team along with the Warhamsters are the outliers in this set of data ( that's a complement, people enjoy playing against you guys a ton, even if you beat them) and the numbers do bear that out. In general if you won more games you got less sports.

• Like 2

But assumptions are all we can be left with when everything is behind closed doors. Were the 1's over ruled? Are those players not welcome back? These questions are not unwarranted when things are not widely known.

If a questioned is being asked sometimes before an answer is given it is best to ask why the question is being asked.

It will always be so, we released them in the past and the bitching was epic.  That will not happen again.  Placings dont matter, have fun, drink beer....repeat.

• Like 4

Your team only has 3 on my score sheet so someone did not report a fav opponent.  there was a couple of those....and yes, I chose not to track them down.

• Like 1

It will always be so, we released them in the past and the bitching was epic.  That will not happen again.  Placings dont matter, have fun, drink beer....repeat.

Ok maybe I'm being naive here but isn't epic bitching likely due to there being a problem? Also the action of not releasing a way of sweeping said problem under the table rather than dealing with it?

Do you work for theAmerican government? Full disclosure sir!

Well the math is there. Review, don't review, there is no dismissive.

Ok maybe I'm being naive here but isn't epic bitching likely due to there being a problem? Also the action of not releasing a way of sweeping said problem under the table rather than dealing with it?

Do you work for theAmerican government? Full disclosure sir!

Well the math is there. Review, don't review, there is no dismissive.

Not in my mind...some people like bitching.  

Seriously though, No event is perfect, we recognize we dont have a perfect system, but we work on it each year and improve.  

We cannot control what an opponent rates you on sports, it is subjective.  All we can do is provide guidelines and expect people to follow them.  Your scores were 3.8 average.  better then the bottom, but sports scores were pretty high this year so fav opp pins were really the difference.