OFCC 2015 Event and Ticket Information - Updated 3/16/2015

It was a joke. And now I know which event you should have to play in. :)

I know that YOU know that I know that YOU know that we both know that you were kidding but I had to make sure that someone else knows that I know that you know that YOU know that they know that you were kidding because if they dont know that I know that you know that they are not sure then are any of us really aware of the joke at hand?

• Like 5

I am really sad to see the 40k team event drop to 16 teams.  My first year there were 25 teams and it was great, heck there was talk of finding a bigger venue for more teams.  Now with the thought of so few teams the luster of the event has faded a bit.  DMB will still be there in force (we have to bring the bucket back) but I just wanted to express my disappointment in SHRINKING the event.

Can we just go back to the halcyon days at the Red Lion?

Okay, gripe over - now to get amped up about a new army project!

• Like 2

I am really sad to see the 40k team event drop to 16 teams.  My first year there were 25 teams and it was great, heck there was talk of finding a bigger venue for more teams.  Now with the thought of so few teams the luster of the event has faded a bit.  DMB will still be there in force (we have to bring the bucket back) but I just wanted to express my disappointment in SHRINKING the event.

Can we just go back to the halcyon days at the Red Lion?

Okay, gripe over - now to get amped up about a new army project!

The event has not shrunk at all, we found that many of the members who were competing in the Team event preferred doing an Open event instead.  The 40k team event is only really "shrinking" by 4 teams as the last few years they have had 20-21 teams.  There will still be the same amount of people there, just some of them will be in the Open who maybe played in the Team event last year.  This is not to say if we get 16 teams for 40k and there are 2-3 more waiting that we won't try to accommodate this but for now we are limiting space to 96 players a side.

The fantasy event has also been moved to 16 teams and that has already filled up within 3.5 days of posting the event packets.  We will see how we adapt to the growing excitement and participation of our team events.

Just think of it this way.

Everything is awesome.

Everything is cool when you're part of a team... 

• Like 3

Whilst I personally am disappointment with both events (team and open) on the same day, I get it.

What I AM concerned with though is the ITC aspect for 40k.

I, respectfully, hope that the HoG will discourage douche-bag gaming at this event.

I heard lots of horror stories for last week's TSHFT about players, TOs, terrain and non-painted armies. Ordo would take a big blow to its reputation if similar issues were to occur.

I'd be curious to what horror stories you heard. Sure the lists were very "competitive" as a whole, but I'd say every game I played, my opponents were very nice.

The nice thing about the ITC is that you don't have to run it the way they say. You can run it how you want and still participate in the system.

• Like 1

So I'm glad that Doc brought that concern.  I will address it immediately.

This is an Ordo Fanaticus event.  Just because it is an ITC qualifier does not mean the same members of the community are going to suddenly turn into asshats and act inappropriately.  If they do once during the event, they will be spoken to about it and warned.  If they do it twice they will never see the inside of on Ordo Fanaticus event again.  This community has done well to encourage strong and aggressive competitive play but not at the expense of sportsmanship and fun.  

Competitive play isn't a bad thing.  It's actually a good thing.  When you watch a sports team you cheer for your team to beat the other.  You praise them for succeeding and damn them for failing.  If you are like me you go through an emotional roller-coaster of anger, joy, sorrow, euphoria, berserk rage and finally super saiyan 4 obliteration fury that levels city blocks that slowly subsides into silence.  Competitive play gets you excited during the game about winning and doing well. The difference however that happens to polarize communities on the subject is the distinction between winning and having to win. 

You should always play to win, however you shouldn't always hinge your enjoyment of the game on winning.

People who fail to follow that mentality end up getting too emotionally tied up in the game and ruin it for everyone.

If bad behavior is allowed to happen then the fault lies in the TO for not properly managing their event.  As BigTal and I are Captain Insano OCD, you can bet that won't happen!

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Friday - March 20th Status Update:

There is a revision coming for the Warhammer Fantasy Team and Open events for the rules packets and Swedish addendum.

X-wing, Warhammer 40k and Warhammer Fantasy Doubles events packets will be loaded up in the next week.

Warhammer 40k Team already has 40+ paid spots.

• Like 2