Random Thought Thread

InfestedKerrigan

1 hour ago, andy said:

I heard an anecdote that links the 'Nimrod' decent to insult to Elmer Fudd. In one episode, Bugs Bunny called Elmer Fudd a 'Nimrod' as a reference to his hunting, however it was interpreted as an insult to his intelligence... not sure if it *started* there, but I'll bet it had an impact.

So with that episode, and Bugs trademark sarcasm, I believe the intent of the writers was sarcastically saying Elmer is "such a great hunter, hyuk, hyuk, hyuk eyeroll."  Elmer Fudd himself is a pun. A Fud is both a rabbit's tail(always following the rabbit), and a moron (or 'worse'). 

But as you said, surely, it had an impact due to misunderstanding of the word. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Elmer Fudd himself is a pun. A Fud is both a rabbit's tail(always following the rabbit), and a moron (or 'worse'). 

That's very interesting. I'd never heard 'fud' used beyond 'Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt' -- it'll be useful in Scrabble and Quiddler, if nothing else.

2 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Our resident Peace Officer should get his NARCO/undercover team to participate in the lip sync with their faces fuzzed out.

He's a nark? I had no idea.

In fairness, I've never had a clear idea what he does...aside from dress as a police officer from time to time and sometimes give me practical legal advice. 

Was it nark or narf that Pinky says? Both maybe. I think we should get him a Pinky shirt...

An inverted version of The Music Man, where the guy who comes to town is all about glorifying and promoting crime and gang activities.

"Seventy six Bloods and Crips led the big parade
A hundred and ten Latin Kings right behind
Followed by rows and rows of the finest Mafiosos
And thugs, of every shape and size!"

• Thanks 1

On 8/14/2018 at 11:31 PM, Sgt. Rock said:

A hypocrite isn't someone who learns from their mistakes and adapts their viewpoint accordingly. A hypocrite is someone who says/believes something but continues to act in the opposite manner, or believes that their held beliefs don't apply to themselves or their group.

I think there's some middleground there, where the personal realizes their mistakes, but can't figure out how to change them for the future.

Or a situation where they did identify and create a theoretical solution for the future, but the situation hasn't shown up again for them to put it into practice.

I don't really see how any of those are politically incorrect. I mean, compared to someone like The Mandarin or something. Also amusing that half of the ones you listed were created by Garth Ennis.

Also, on hypocrisy vs. learning from your mistakes: It's one of those things where there's very little difference when viewed from some angles, but a huge difference when viewed from others. The latter is a process that involves changing who you are, to one degree or another, while the former is just a state that a person can continue in indefinitely.

• 2 weeks later...

o.0

Because you were around when it was on originally?  I mean, you watch Doctor Who and it is older.

Some of the things that make me feel old (includes stuff that made me feel old at the time which may have been a while ago):

The day I realized that none of my students had been born when Star Wars came out.  And none of them will be able to see a version where Han shot first.

The day I realized that a lot of the techno music I listen to is older than most of the people here.

The fact that James Bond is no longer about exotic locations and activities because we're so jaded about everything and now it is just a themed action movie.

• Like 2

I'm not actually sure when STNG came out. I just grew up with re-runs of it on WB. But I still identify it as being from my childhood. Kinda like how my mom identifies Wizard of Oz as part of her childhood, despite it coming out much before her time (it just was on TV alot when she was a kid, apparently they had an annual showing of that film on TV which was a big deal for people of her generation).

It's so Bizarre to talk about "being old"

The first time it hit me was when I asked a friend to help me at the Clark County Fair's BSA Booth and his buddy asked me how long I had been in Scouting: *does math* "longer than you've been alive"...

Or the time someone asked me how long I've had my Eagle Rank for.. "Uh... longer than you've been alive" 😞

Those have been mind benders for me

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Justjokin said:

glogtlejxvi11.jpg

Completely disagree.

I think these are 10 things that "should" require zero talent, but it's actually rather uncommon to see a single person with all of these. And the ones that single person does have, often require great effort to maintain.

On 8/28/2018 at 5:46 PM, Romans832 said:

It's so Bizarre to talk about "being old"

The first time it hit me was when I asked a friend to help me at the Clark County Fair's BSA Booth and his buddy asked me how long I had been in Scouting: *does math* "longer than you've been alive"...

Or the time someone asked me how long I've had my Eagle Rank for.. "Uh... longer than you've been alive" 😞

Those have been mind benders for me

Old is a figure of speech, at least for me. Been noting how "old" I have become since about age 15...maybe younger.