Random Thought Thread

InfestedKerrigan

5 hours ago, paxmiles said:

Okay, if pain "relievers" exist as medication, then is there a pain "enhancer" medication?

What is your definition of medication?

Pain relievers exist as chemical compounds occurring both naturally and man-made.  Pain enhancers are often less carefully designed because if you are enhancing pain you generally don't care about also causing damage to other systems.  Figuring out what those compounds are called is left as an exercise to the rhetorical question.

121.142 cc of Pb, administered by an appropriate delivery vector, is a very effective pain enhancer. It's mostly used to treat cases of testosterone poisoning, poor cognitive processes, and/or advanced cases of fecal substitution of cerebral tissue. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Duckman said:

What is your definition of medication?

Pain relievers exist as chemical compounds occurring both naturally and man-made.  Pain enhancers are often less carefully designed because if you are enhancing pain you generally don't care about also causing damage to other systems.  Figuring out what those compounds are called is left as an exercise to the rhetorical question.

My dad and I were joking around. It was his genius idea, but I liked it too, so I posted it here. Figured it was a good "random thought" for the thread.

5 hours ago, WestRider said:

I think that would be more an "implement of torture" than a "medication".

So then I started thinking about applications for a "Pain Enhancer," and yeah, Torture or Masochism seem like the only real applications for such a medicine. Though I think I'd try it once, you know, if it was easy to acquire. As long as it only enhanced existing pain, not creating new pain. 

16 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

So then I started thinking about applications for a "Pain Enhancer," and yeah, Torture or Masochism seem like the only real applications for such a medicine. Though I think I'd try it once, you know, if it was easy to acquire. As long as it only enhanced existing pain, not creating new pain. 

It does actually remind me of a comic strip I saw years ago, where a guy goes into a pharmacy:
"Do you have anything for a headache?"
"Yeah, this should do the trick."
Thought bubble: "I wonder if he meant something to get rid of a headache?"

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Ish said:

Meh, he's hardly the first (and certainly not the last) person to be a troll in online gaming. I wouldn't read too much into it.

For the record, person wasn't trolling at all. Was just his/her user name. We didn't communicate, they were just randomly put into a group with me for a mission, we parted ways after resolving the mission. 

6 hours ago, Romans832 said:

Your paranoia and his lack of keeping politics and religion out of games depresses me.

God votes for no politician.

Humans screw the world with politics

Did you mean to address me, or was this an unrelated random thought?

I did know a guy, briefly, in high school, who was very passionate about the idea that if we put George W Bush's picture on the helmets of the football team, that Bush's presence would psych out the opposing team. This was in 2005-ish, I think. 

I could never tell if he was serious or not. But he really liked talking about the idea. 

5 hours ago, paxmiles said:

I did know a guy, briefly, in high school, who was very passionate about the idea that if we put George W Bush's picture on the helmets of the football team, that Bush's presence would psych out the opposing team. This was in 2005-ish, I think. 

I could never tell if he was serious or not. But he really liked talking about the idea. 

This is trolling.  Whether or not you support the actual idea, you are making a choice to present it as something you support to trigger other people.  Textbook definition, which is why talking about particularly divisive politics is also considered trolling whether you mean it or not and is why Ish labelled it as such.

7 hours ago, paxmiles said:

For the record, person wasn't trolling at all. Was just his/her user name. We didn't communicate, they were just randomly put into a group with me for a mission, we parted ways after resolving the mission. 

Did you mean to address me, or was this an unrelated random thought?

First off, yes, he was trolling. You just aren't seemingly that familiar with the art of the Troll if you miss that. 

Second, @Romans832 quoted the person they were talking to. How you can infer that this was directed at you in any fashion is discombobulating to process.

5 hours ago, Duckman said:

This is trolling.  Whether or not you support the actual idea, you are making a choice to present it as something you support to trigger other people.  Textbook definition, which is why talking about particularly divisive politics is also considered trolling whether you mean it or not and is why Ish labelled it as such.

Wow. Wouldn't have put that in as trolling. Was just an interesting, random enounter. Don't you need to be mean to people in order to troll them? Or like when you purposely derail a conversation with memes, is that not trolling? 

When you say, "trigger other people." What do you mean? Isn't the point of this thread to be a bunch of random snips that cause random reactions from other people? I mean, this isn't the random "funny" thought thread. Just random stuff. Some things I post because I think they are interesting, others because they are funny. But in the case of all of them, the reactions of people like you are truly your own. I'm not forcing a response. And more so, you didn't need to respond at all, it's pretty easy to move the topic, just post another random topic. 

And PS, if an interesting encounter includes the name of a president, that makes it automatically politics? Anyway. I thought they were making a reference to a sci-fi film. I keep forgetting that 2020 is only few years from now. I don't keep track of time very well. I keep thinking it's 19-something. When I was a kid, it seemed pretty clear that all modern dates included a 19, and all future set dates included a 20. "2001: A space Oddessy" is set in future, after all. Logically, anything with a 20XX date, should reference a ficticious future.

Anywho, sorry you were offended. I would not have posted for the purpose of offending. Both posts were not intended to be political or offend people. I'm still puzzled as to why they would be, but I'll drop it here. 

47 minutes ago, Ish said:

Let's face it, some people are so around the bend in their opinions of Pres. Trump that any mention of him is enough to troll them. 

But that seems more like an issue with them, rather than the person mentioning the subject. To be so intolerant of *any specific thing* that mere mention is regarded as a hateful slight against them - that seems like a personal problem, not something to blame others for.

Isn't trolling something you'd have to intentionally do? Like the difference between lying and being wrong.

The dude is running around with the screen name "GodTrump2020." I think it's safe to assume he was looking to troll some Anti-Trump folks. But, yes, the fact that some folks are so emotionally fragile that any mention of the president is enough to upset them is a problem. Trolls picking on them is a problem, the fact that they're so easy to pick on is a problem too.

• Thanks 1