Random Thought Thread

InfestedKerrigan

The other nautical oddity that fascinates me is “Point Nemo,” which lies in the South Pacific Ocean at 48°52.6′S 123°23.6′W, approximately 1,451 nautical miles from land of any kind, making it the most geographically inaccessible place on earth...

So, if you ever need to build your James Bond Villain style undersea lair, that’s the spot.

Oceanic_pole_of_inaccessibility.png

• Like 1

My mom's Tuxedo likes being played with rough, preferring males over females.

A friend showed me "cat-apulting" one time. Kneeled in the hallway with a pillow on his lap. Slapped the pillow, and a cat came running from the livingroom, jumping onto the pillow. Friend folds pillow, like a cat taco, and snaps the pillow open, sending the cat flying down the hallway. It lands, twitches it's tail. Buddy slaps the pillow, and the cat comes running back.

So, I tried similar with mom's tux. I toss her 10 or so feet onto couch, or bed, something soft (she's not good at being a cat). Then tap my side, and she runs back. She enjoys 2-4 tosses, before she says no more (pins herself to ground with claws, while purring). 

She's getting old. She'll be passing on before too many more years come along. Makes me cry, when I think about it too much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Working on a sub-zero room for a client. Originally, we were discussing -30°, they wanted to go colder. I have learned how to go to -155°.  Color me impressed, and excited.  

Serial killer dead body storage room? :wink:

52 minutes ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Roughly 10k annually for -40 and 80sqft.

So......alot more than that 

80 square feet of -40. I guess cold storage, but hard to picture what you'd need it for.

Maybe a dojo for the next generation of Sub-Zeros....?

image.png.ed174c439720a3a5c8416210877426ea.png

On a basic level, the same parts are used in a central air conditioning unit, as a walk in fridge at mcds, as the cold room at costco, as the beer cave at shell, as the drive in freezer at safeways auburn DC, as the plasma freezer, as the cryogenic freezers. It's just how you are using the parts, and what the capabilities of the refrigerant and other components are.

• Like 1

I’d imagine that, with proper insulation and people being good about keeping the door closed, the power needed to keep it cold isn’t nearly as bad as the power used to get it cold in the first place... and if you bring the temperature down gradually enough, it’s that probably not so bad either.

This is just speculation on my part, I have no actual idea. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, paxmiles said:

80 square feet of -40. I guess cold storage, but hard to picture what you'd need it for.

Maybe a dojo for the next generation of Sub-Zeros....?

I applied for a job once at a place that made ice cream. Their storage facility at the factory was kept at (IIRC) -90F. It was only possible to go in during the twice-daily defrost cycle, when it came up to something like -20 ambient.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely, ish. Entropy, and similar come into play, but how much heat is being re-introduced into the room (by "heat loss" through the walls, heat gain from product being loaded, or air exchange from the door being open) effects how often the condenser has to cycle on, and for how long. Same with the pull down, that is, how long is it okay to take to get BACK to holding temp.  The more it cycles on, the higher the operating cost. 

• Thanks 1