Random Thought Thread

InfestedKerrigan

12 hours ago, Duckman said:

Munkie's comments above are about the tings that also get into the air during a bad fog.  The truth of the matter though is that fog doesn't require still air.  It requires a specific temperature that allows the water vapor to become visible.

Have you ever seen fog on a windy day?

It's both. It can't form without enough water and the proper temperature as you say, but it also can't accumulate to a visible density if it's getting actively dispersed through wind.

From the linked wiki article: 

Although it has no Latin name, fog can be considered a type of low-lying cloud, usually resembling stratus, and is heavily influenced by nearby bodies of water, topography, and wind conditions.

16 minutes ago, Munkie said:

Have you ever seen fog on a windy day?

It's both. It can't form without enough water and the proper temperature as you say, but it also can't accumulate to a visible density if it's getting actively dispersed through wind.

From the linked wiki article: 

Although it has no Latin name, fog can be considered a type of low-lying cloud, usually resembling stratus, and is heavily influenced by nearby bodies of water, topography, and wind conditions.

You are equating still air with an inversion layer and the two are not synonymous.  One is a subset of the other.  It is quite possible to have fog without having an inversion layer that traps everything or to have fog every morning for a week without having an air quality problem because the air is moving around, just not in a gale force wind.

3 hours ago, Duckman said:

You are equating still air with an inversion layer and the two are not synonymous.  One is a subset of the other.  It is quite possible to have fog without having an inversion layer that traps everything or to have fog every morning for a week without having an air quality problem because the air is moving around, just not in a gale force wind.

🙄 

On Thursday, I picked up my phone, said happy thanksgiving to our security services, spun the phone around to people, encouraging them to do the same. Minutes later, I got an ad on FB for FBI recruitment. 

The FBI was the one group I forgot to mention. So, are they monitoring me and saying "hey guy, you forgot about us" or is it "thanks for sharing and supporting, wanna get paid to report?"

• Haha 3

43 minutes ago, Munkie said:

🙄

Ok, I will rephrase.

From the same link, Evaporation Fog and Upslope Fog are both cases where they cite air movement as the cause of the fog.  There's a difference between still or trapped by inversion (which does apply to some forms of fog) and not windy enough to disperse fog.

1 hour ago, Duckman said:

Ok, I will rephrase.

From the same link, Evaporation Fog and Upslope Fog are both cases where they cite air movement as the cause of the fog.  There's a difference between still or trapped by inversion (which does apply to some forms of fog) and not windy enough to disperse fog.

That's all well and good. But the anecdote I was sharing was about how the air was completely still for a week (which is incredibly rare on a coastal town). Whether it was from an inversion zone, a Truman Show-esque dome built around the city, or some foul sorcery, that doesn't really change nor add to the point I was making.

The air didn't move which fostered a massive accumulation of fog and then the air quality declined because not only was the fog trapped, but so was the smoke from the mill and private chimneys. Why the air didn't move isn't really important. 

On 11/26/2018 at 11:43 AM, Munkie said:

That's all well and good. But the anecdote I was sharing was about how the air was completely still for a week (which is incredibly rare on a coastal town). Whether it was from an inversion zone, a Truman Show-esque dome built around the city, or some foul sorcery, that doesn't really change nor add to the point I was making.

The air didn't move which fostered a massive accumulation of fog and then the air quality declined because not only was the fog trapped, but so was the smoke from the mill and private chimneys. Why the air didn't move isn't really important. 

The fog isn't important either. The air conditions trapped the fog. The air conditions trapped the pollutants. Regardless of whether or not the former happened, the second would mess with people.

5 hours ago, WestRider said:

The fog isn't important either. The air conditions trapped the fog. The air conditions trapped the pollutants. Regardless of whether or not the former happened, the second would mess with people.

Yes. Which, again, changes nothing about the anecdote I shared nor the word of warning in it.

Pax was asking if fog is a breathing hazard. I said no, but air conditions that can lead to the creation of fog can also can also lead to the accumulation of harmful particles. All of which is true, you and I clearly agree on that.

Pax was not asking about the science behind why fog forms, so I'm not sure why I'm expected to answer that question instead of the one he did ask.

1 hour ago, Munkie said:

Pax was asking if fog is a breathing hazard. I said no, but air conditions that can lead to the creation of fog can also can also lead to the accumulation of harmful particles. All of which is true, you and I clearly agree on that.

Pax was not asking about the science behind why fog forms, so I'm not sure why I'm expected to answer that question instead of the one he did ask.

Not so much a hazard, just wondering if it was a hinderance. I'm not worried about dying/getting sick from breathing too much fog, but I do seem less inclined to do heavy exercise in fog and was wondering if it was breath related. 

Although it's neat to learn how fog forms, Munkie is correct, I wasn't asking about that. 

The point at which a material becomes so hot that it looses its magnetic properties is called the Curie temperature... The Curie temperature of iron is 1043 K (approx. 1,400° F)... the melting point of iron is 1811 K (approx. 2,800° F). However, the Earth’s molten iron core is far hotter than this and is not actually magnetic at all! 

But it’s actually unrelated. Earth’s magnetic field is created by the “dynamo effect,” which happens whenever you circulate an electric current... and Earth’s molten nougat core does spin, creating a magnetic field.  

To stop it, via heat, you’d need to heat the molten iron core to the point that it would become gaseous and give it a means to expand far enough out into space to escape earth’s gravity well and stop spinning... at which point, well, you’ve long sense destroyed the planet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There's a university called Northwestern. It is barely 1/3rd of the way across the continent from the eastern seaboard (borders Lake Michigan). 

This college should just be called North University. Maybe it's just me, but for me, you should be west of the middle of the country to be western. West of the Atlantic is bull$hit.

I'm guessing they're not known for their cartography program.

*edit* Will also accept Northwestern Hemisphere University.

18 hours ago, Ish said:

There are a lot of universities called Northwestern, but I assume you're referring to Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois? Well, that university was founded in 1851... At which point Illionis was about as north and west as you could get.

24_1_cceb821a-3f14-4221-92bf-eef9a8abc1c

In the Northeastern part of the state 😝

Still makes me laugh to think that Eastern Medicine refers to medical practices developed to the West of Oregon, while Western Medicine refers to medical practices developed to the East of Oregon....

It has been a lifelong dream of mine to visit "Null Island," the name given to the spot in the open ocean just south of Ghana where the Prime Meridian and the Equator cross. There isn't any landmass there, just a rusty old weather buoy but it is anchored exactly at 0°N 0°E. 

260px-Null_Island_2017.jpg

Behold! The center of the world!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ish said:

It has been a lifelong dream of mine to visit "Null Island," the name given to the spot in the open ocean just south of Ghana where the Prime Meridian and the Equator cross. There isn't any landmass there, just a rusty old weather buoy but it is anchored exactly at 0°N 0°E. 

260px-Null_Island_2017.jpg

Behold! The center of the world!

I'd kind of like to do the simultaneous International Date Line and Equator crossing. No way I'm going to live long enough to match the SS Warimoo's feat, tho.

• Like 1