InfestedKerrigan

Random Thought Thread

1 hour ago, WestRider said:

Sounds more like aging plus lasting injuries than XP as such. By the time you're 20th level, you're stuck in a wheelchair and can barely see where you're aiming that crossbow.

Could be that, I suppose. 

I'm thinking about starting them at max level and no gear, then as they quest, lowering their level. They'd still keep the gear and non-level related stat increases, so the questing would still have value. Game would just become progressively harder, the more you quested and killed things. Dunno, it's kinda like Fallout/skyrim/oblivion, where the enemies scale with your level, but in reverse (which would be easier to implement) where you just get worse the more you quest, making the same enemies harder the more you play. Which would mean that the longer you played, the more cunning you'd have to be.

Anyway, random thought. No going anywhere with this idea. 

9 hours ago, paxmiles said:

Could be that, I suppose. 

I'm thinking about starting them at max level and no gear, then as they quest, lowering their level. They'd still keep the gear and non-level related stat increases, so the questing would still have value. Game would just become progressively harder, the more you quested and killed things. Dunno, it's kinda like Fallout/skyrim/oblivion, where the enemies scale with your level, but in reverse (which would be easier to implement) where you just get worse the more you quest, making the same enemies harder the more you play. Which would mean that the longer you played, the more cunning you'd have to be.

Anyway, random thought. No going anywhere with this idea. 

Meh, numbers...

Done correctly, all roleplaying should become harder as you level up.  That's on the game designer.  At a simple level there is no difference between players doubling their numbers and monsters gaining a factor of four and the situation you describe where monsters stay 100% untouched and players' numbers are cut in half.  As I said, that is very simplified so the mathematical comparison is easy but the same logic applies regardless of the system and the bells and whistles applied.  (I think D&D is really about a 10-20% increase in power per level.)

What you are describing is easy enough to convey with flavor-text.  If you actually want to roll back numbers that might be easiest to see and demonstrate to players in a Fate system where the numbers are most visible.