Random Thought Thread

InfestedKerrigan

2 hours ago, Munkie said:

You trippin'!

Only if you don't look where you place your feet. I don't recall having an issue with that.

I suppose the laces get kinda damaged if you don't tie the shoes and kids shoes are spendy...

9 hours ago, paxmiles said:

Only if you don't look where you place your feet. I don't recall having an issue with that.

Do you have issues looking where you're going and where you're putting your feet at the same time? 

Because with tied shoes, I can keep my eyes up and surveying the world around me, assured that I'll not have easily avoidable tripping hazards I have to keep my eyes on.

Regardless, I think the conclusion we can both agree on, is why don't people just wear velcro strap shoes?

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Munkie said:

Regardless, I think the conclusion we can both agree on, is why don't people just wear velcro strap shoes?

I recall those being hard to acquire when I was a kid, though I am not sure why.

My grandfather had MS and do recall that my grandmother converted all his laced shoes and button shirts to have concealed Velcro.

35 minutes ago, Munkie said:

Do you have issues looking where you're going and where you're putting your feet at the same time? 

No. I tend to do both with the same gaze. I don't look too far ahead, but I see enough of where I am going and where my feet will land to not trip.

26 minutes ago, Munkie said:

Define "recycled" 🤔

"convert (waste) into reusable material."

The material in hot dogs would otherwise be the garbage parts of the cow/pig, right?

34 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

"convert (waste) into reusable material."

The material in hot dogs would otherwise be the garbage parts of the cow/pig, right?

Then the answer is, yes, somewhat. It's not all waste.

I have a different method of converting biomass into waste. I was half worried you were talking about recycling that into hotdogs...🤢

• Like 1

Nominally speaking there's just about nothing in an animal that is actually waste if it is used correctly...  That's especially true for pigs who are easily rendered and don't have true hooves.  American culture is not good about using an entire animal the way others (even EU cultures) are.

I am a product of that culture so I tend not to like thinking about what a sausage (or hotdog) casing is.  Similarly, Pork Rinds is an acquired taste in the US but chicharrones are widely used in recipes across Mexico and elsewhere in the world.  Same for pigs knuckles and all the other "trash" portions...

4 hours ago, Duckman said:

Nominally speaking there's just about nothing in an animal that is actually waste if it is used correctly...  

Isn't that the whole point of recycling, though? To minimize waste. If it is recycled, it ceases to be waste.

Definition of waste:

"Waste (or wastes) are unwanted or unusable materials. Waste is any substance which is discarded after primary use, or is worthless, defective and of no use."

So recycling is kinda an oxymoron. To find use for waste is to establish that it isn't actually waste....

Nominally, recycling is taking something that is not useful in its current form and altering it to make it useful in a new form.  That's the difference between reuse and recycle.

Regarding bits of pig, pigs are entirely useful...  No such thing as recycling (unless you are a USer who turns your nose up at things like pigs knuckles, blood sausage and pork rinds.

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Yarbicus said:

I couldn't get past the first episode.  Does it get better?

It grows on you, same as any show you watch lots of episodes. But no, if you didn't like the first episode, Lucifer doesn't really change much from episode to episode. I like the show, but definitely to each their own.

Show is alot like The Mentalist, or one of like a dozen other similar shows. It's crime show, but show revolves around a supernatural protagonist that doesn't really follow the law while fighting crime. Makes for an upbeat crime drama that's easier to detach from reality - realistic crime shows can be really depressing, better to keep them very fictional. 

1 hour ago, Yarbicus said:

I couldn't get past the first episode.  Does it get better?

Like Pax said, it's basically Castle with satan. Some elements are akin to Supernatural (inspired by the same myths).  It has a decent budget, filmed well. Some story arcs better than others. Lots of non-judgemental thinking promotion. Family boundaries and issues.  Feeling from episode to episode is similar to Gotham.  

That said, it did take me a few episodes to get into the show and attach to a character. 

• 2 weeks later...

When you wave a greeting to someone else, are you showing kindness by acknowledging them, or are you selfishly trying to get them to acknowledge you?

For me, sometimes it feels kind and sometimes it feels selfish. Have only really just started considering it.